Louisville hosts top recruiting targets | The Boneyard

Louisville hosts top recruiting targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cox, McCoy and Kylee Shook were all on hand Sunday to watch the Cardinals face North Carolina. Asia Durr also attended.

"When we go out and recruit, we tell them our goal here is to win a national championship," Walz said. "I want players who want to compete to help win a national championship. … I want players who want to help us beat UConn. We're 0-15 here. When (Geno Auriemma) got his 900th win (recently) I texted him and said, 'Congrats, there's 15 from me, and of your nine national championships, I've given you two.' He like me a lot, and he should. I've got to find some players so that he might not like me as much."

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...15/02/15/moores-lead-cards-past-unc/23458279/

Reaction Score
So what are the goals of the other 340 Division I teams? To lose another NC?

Pretty lame, Jeffster.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Lame? It's great that he's so direct. Teams do need to recruit players that can help them beat UConn. What's wrong with saying that? I am betting not a lot of programs actually say that to recruits. Of course every program wants to win a NC. But he's saying that to do that you have to beat UConn, and is trying to identify players who can help him do that.

I really like Walz. He's a pretty good coach who might turn out to be a great recruiter in a few years.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sounds like something Geno would say.

Reaction Score
You can get all the players but can you coach them to the level they need to be to win that championship Jeff? Good luck!

HGN

Reaction Score
Walz is a great recruiter and he was when he was an assistant at Maryland. So nothing has changed. Many coaches recruit with the idea of beating UConn. Everyone wants to take down Goliath...ND , USC , and Baylor included....And they all would love to have the accomplishments of UConn and Geno.... Walz is just voicing the elephant in the room. A mere form of envious flattery if you ask me.

UConn only recruits certain types of players. But many coaches recruit particular players perhaps just to keep them away from UConn.....But Geno still finds a way to win. Many of those NC's was won when he didn't necessarily have the best roster. So I say let them recruit the Cox's , McCoy's , and Shooks. Because I say the ones who hope to win a NC will go there , but the ones who want to Win will sign with UConn.

All any of the recruits have to do is look up in the arena rafters to see the NC banners of who has been hoping and who has been Winning.

Reaction Score
Walz is a great recruiter and he was when he was an assistant at Maryland. So nothing has changed. Many coaches recruit with the idea of beating UConn. Everyone wants to take down Goliath...ND , USC , and Baylor included....And they all would love to have the accomplishments of UConn and Geno.... Walz is just voicing the elephant in the room. A mere form of envious flattery if you ask me.

UConn only recruits certain types of players. But many coaches recruit particular players perhaps just to keep them away from UConn.....But Geno still finds a way to win. Many of those NC's was won when he didn't necessarily have the best roster. So I say let them recruit the Cox's , McCoy's , and Shooks. Because I say the ones who hope to win a NC will go there , but the ones who want to Win will sign with UConn.

All any of the recruits have to do is look up in the arena rafters to see the NC banners of who has been hoping and who has been Winning.

Which ones? I do not agree with this statement. UConn had the better players/roster all nine national championship seasons. I also believe UConn had the better players/roster in 1997, 2001, and 2008.

Reaction Score
Walz has a great recruit in Mariya Moore. I saw her 4 times in high school and she was the best player in northern CA. and now as a freshman she is leading Louisville in scoring and assists. Yesterday. she scored a career high 26 points to beat NC. Louisville is going to be a power for years to come. Walz reminds of a young Geno. I really like the guy.

Reaction Score
Which ones? I do not agree with this statement. UConn had the better players/roster all nine national championship seasons. I also believe UConn had the better players/roster in 1997, 2001, and 2008.
Read my signature VAU.

Reaction Score
I think not everyone gets Jeff; when he was on Dishin & Swishin this year, I asked him about winning the ACC title, and to that he responded we're trying to win national championships, not conference titles. That's what he means by that statement.

Even Geno says his goals each year are regular season conference championship, then conference tourney, then NCAA.

Jeff wants that national championship so bad he is pushing for that brass ring. I wish more coaches were like him.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Walz has a great recruit in Mariya Moore. I saw her 4 times in high school and she was the best player in northern CA. and now as a freshman she is leading Louisville in scoring and assists. Yesterday. she scored a career high 26 points to beat NC. Louisville is going to be a power for years to come. Walz reminds of a young Geno. I really like the guy.
Me too!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If not, then I would want Shea.
Not sure why people are discounting Marissa. She's been at UCONN for almost as long as Shea (Shea came in 2008 and Marissa at the end of 2009). Just because she wasn't a UCONN player, I think she's been with the team long enough where I think she totally gets how UCONN does it, and if she's passionate about continuing that way, she would be my preferred choice.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
After seeing how the Tennessee situation has played out, I wouldn't blame Marissa and Shea for seeking to build a program elsewhere. Following in Geno's footsteps would be an insane amount of pressure for anyone, let alone a first-time head coach. Someone else like Walz, who is more established and not in "the family" might be a better fit. Who knows, though. Would rather not think about it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like Jeff. He's candid and has a sense of humor. Being an assistant at Maryland in 2006 gave him a taste of an NCAA title. But what I keep reminding my Terp fan friends is that 2006 was a down year for UConn (and Tennessee).

In terms of our next coach, I think I'd be ok with Jeff, though I prefer someone with UConn experience. I think Marissa would be great. My first choice, though, is someone who sems to be interested in broadcasting more than coaching--Sue Bird. Or she could be the Associate Head Coach to the wise-ass in Phoenix. Geno and CD redux. :)

Reaction Score

I don't agree. Some are arguable but -- I guess you can counter "UCONN won so that means they were better."

1-- 1995 ***- See 5 too- they go together - sort of. Not sure UCONN was favored in this 1995 contest for a reason. The other "players" more "talented?" Of course we beat them twice so it means we were better but I would have thought we were the underdog. I'll yield on this but reluctantly. Tenn was a tremendous team and UCONN did struggle mightily in the E8. I'd be surprised if Tenn wasn't favored but again I'll yield on this. Though 1995 was more of an invincible team. If we were better - it was the coach a lot of it too making the sum greater than the individual parts.

2-- 2002-2003 team - we were 37-1 BUT when UCONN played Tenn 1st time in Hartford DT hit a half court shot end of 1st half, hit a shot at the buzzer to put game in OT. During the game Geno all but admitted defeat. I can remember being scared to death when we played Texas. Bottomline - I don't think we were favored in one or both of those games in the final four. That was a young team. I believe we had a huge lead in the E8 and had to hold on for dear life. We were upset by Nova last game of BE. Many young players. I really don't believe "we had the best roster." I believe the Texas team was projected to be very strong that year - then they disappointed until the end of the year when they got extremely hot.

3--- 2003-2004 team. I think this team more than the other two - you couldn't say we were best in terms of having the better players. Duke beat us at home. We had 4 losses. We were the last of the 1 seeds I think? But I know Duke was more of a favorite than UCONN and Beard I believe got POY. Even when season was over you had people such as Barkley say that Beard should be picked 1st. Beard was dynamic too. IMO we weren't the strongest that year.

4--- I don't believe we were better than ND. They beat us 3 times in 12-13 leading into that final four game.

5****As far as your 2nd point - part of the reason why I brought up 1995 was to describe the team as being invincible. While 2001 ND team wasn't invincible they whipped us in the first meeting by 16 points when UCONN had arguably it's most talented roster ever. That should tell us their "team" was damn awesome. We had to beat them IN OUR GYM on a buzzer beater from Bird. Going into matchup #3, previously we were ripped once, won on last second shot the 2nd time all the while leading into the final four we had lost two premiere all-americans and all-time great Husky players. Just as one can argue our 1995 "team" was stronger -- without our 2 great all-americans - our 2000-2001 wasn't better than ND. Their "team" similar to our 1995 team - was "better." If you want to argue the lead we had then you have to argue the lead Tenn had in 1995 and/or the 9 point lead Texas had in the 2nd half in 02-03.

6---As for the 2008 team sure we were favored. But we did lose two of our wings in which they were integral parts of defeating tara V's junk defense in our 1st meeting vs Stanford. We played them in November and she tried the junk defense and Kalana Greene beat it. Without Kalana Greene and Mel Thomas, and Britt Hunter being a shell of her former self from early in the year to where she wound up, we were flawed.

IMO from above one or two maybe three you can take exception to. Four would be a stretch but imo not more than that though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom