Louisville fires Bobby Petrino | The Boneyard

Louisville fires Bobby Petrino

Reaction Score

>>Petrino has a large buyout, estimated in the $14 million range.<<

Reaction Score
14 million dollar buyout? Have to think there is more to the story to the firing. Didn’t someone mention that a ton of Louisville players had requested paperwork to transfer?

And why would Brohm want that gig? Aside from the fact it’s his alma mater? The athletic department is a dumpster fire filled with scandals. When a big job opens up, Brohm will be on the short list of candidates, he did a tremendous job at Western Kentucky and now at Purdue.

Reaction Score
... And why would Brohm want that gig? Aside from the fact it’s his alma mater? The athletic department is a dumpster fire filled with scandals. When a big job opens up, Brohm will be on the short list of candidates, he did a tremendous job at Western Kentucky and now at Purdue.

Reaction Score
Yikes. But I guess the allure of going back to alma mater is strong for some.

Reaction Score
14 million dollar buyout? Have to think there is more to the story to the firing. Didn’t someone mention that a ton of Louisville players had requested paperwork to transfer?

And why would Brohm want that gig? Aside from the fact it’s his alma mater? The athletic department is a dumpster fire filled with scandals. When a big job opens up, Brohm will be on the short list of candidates, he did a tremendous job at Western Kentucky and now at Purdue.

Dumpster fire with more money than sense. Louisville has perfectly figured out that the NCAA will not punish big time money makers, so they'll cheat their asses off to win knowing they'll get away with it. Combine that with how they've fleeced the city of Louisville with their stadium and arena deals, and they're basically printing money. Lots of money and essentially 0 admissions standards and they can easily steal from Purdue

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Is he gonna buy a new motorcycle with the 14 million dollar payout?

Reaction Score
I'm not as high on Brohm as so many others seem to be. For every big win or competitive loss he's managed at Purdue you can point to 2-3 head scratching losses. Is this indicative of a coach who is capable of only getting his team up a few times a year, or just an issue of bad luck?

As for Petrino I totally believe that the guy is a cancer who should in no way be in charge of leading young men. Louisville overlooked this in the past because he won. With Brohm you are essentially hiring his disciple(minus the character issues). Will that work? Who knows, but I don't think this is the same scenario as Frost going home. There I see a better coach with way more resources at his disposal than Brohm going to Louisville.

Reaction Score
Dumpster fire with more money than sense. Louisville has perfectly figured out that the NCAA will not punish big time money makers, so they'll cheat their asses off to win knowing they'll get away with it. Combine that with how they've fleeced the city of Louisville with their stadium and arena deals, and they're basically printing money. Lots of money and essentially 0 admissions standards and they can easily steal from Purdue

Crazy. I think Brohm is an awesome coach that is why I am shocked he would go to such a shady program.

Petting has to be loving life, he gets 14 mil and can get another head coaching gig

Reaction Score
Is he gonna buy a new motorcycle with the 14 million dollar payout?

1541955751668.png

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Bingo. This is why FSU and Clemson and the other football schools of the ACC wanted Louisville over UConn. Louisville is willing to cheat, lie, steal, cover up crimes, etc to win an extra football game every year and UConn wasn't/isn't. Funny that during the whole Louisville/UConn ACC debate, we were so concerned with APR nonsense. Spending so much time/energy raising our APR score hurt UConn in the long run.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Comparing Nebraska to Louisville is blasphemy. Now that the shades are open on Louisville's rampant cheating, it's more difficult for them to win. Community college schools can only make money through athletics and they can only win in athletics by cheating, breaking laws, and capitalizing on their absurdly low admissions standards.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
He must of had a good reputation with the other coaches maybe that’s why Dabo ran the score through the roof!!

Reaction Score
With the killer P’s gone from Louisville all female undergrads, female athletic staffers, and waitresses can rest a little more comfortable tonight. The hooker market has taken a blow.

Reaction Score
I'm not as high on Brohm as so many others seem to be. For every big win or competitive loss he's managed at Purdue you can point to 2-3 head scratching losses. Is this indicative of a coach who is capable of only getting his team up a few times a year, or just an issue of bad luck?

As for Petrino I totally believe that the guy is a cancer who should in no way be in charge of leading young men. Louisville overlooked this in the past because he won. With Brohm you are essentially hiring his disciple(minus the character issues). Will that work? Who knows, but I don't think this is the same scenario as Frost going home. There I see a better coach with way more resources at his disposal than Brohm going to Louisville.
Would you rather hire a guy who has proven he can win big games, or someone who wins all the games he's supposed to, but his teams never over-perform? Personally, I'd take the former.

Reaction Score
Bingo. This is why FSU and Clemson and the other football schools of the ACC wanted Louisville over UConn. Louisville is willing to cheat, lie, steal, cover up crimes, etc to win an extra football game every year and UConn wasn't/isn't. Funny that during the whole Louisville/UConn ACC debate, we were so concerned with APR nonsense. Spending so much time/energy raising our APR score hurt UConn in the long run.

I don't think you're wrong. Herbst and Benedict are so far apart on every one of these issues that they ended up on the same page completely by accident when it came to the Ollie firing.

Then again, there's always been part of me that's respected Louisville's hustle. They recognized before we did that you can't afford to fight fair in this game. With respect to UConn, we're talking about forfeiting who knows how many dollars over who knows how long because we decided to die on the amateurism hill. The implications for the state were more enormous than I think leadership recognized at the time.

Reaction Score

Brohm grew up in Louisville / Dad played for Louisville / he played for Louisville and is in their Ring of Honor. And, the program literally has endless streams of money from donors coming in. It's a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
We didn’t have to cheat to beat out UL. We had to hire someone like Petrino and announce a stadium expansion. We also needed to contact Clemson and FSU and ask for advice on how to advance our football program. We needed to let them know we cared. We remained very quiet and sent all the wrong messages about how seriously we were taking football. UL hadn’t even accomplished anything, they simply created an image of themselves as aggressively pursuing football success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom