Lou Spanos to Ole Miss as an Analyst | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou Spanos to Ole Miss as an Analyst

Reaction Score
Guy tried to do his best, but didn’t have a chance with the mess RE left in his lap.

Reaction Score
If that was him trying I don’t want to see what it’s like when he doesn’t try. That was painful to watch his defense

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think some of us are looking at this all wrong. From a coaching staff perspective we are were we are for the remainder of the upcoming football season, nothing would (or should) be different if Spanos did not get his new gig.

As we now have the pro-rated remainder of his contract through the end of the season, we should be able to spend a bit more on recruiting this fall than we originally planned.

Win-win.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think it's great that Mora can run the defense himself. And the defense was solid last year.

But...if we have another horrific offensive year, he may need to rethink where he spends his time. That's why I keep saying the pressure is on Charlton this year.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that Mora can run the defense himself. And the defense was solid last year.

But...if we have another horrific offensive year, he may need to rethink where he spends his time. That's why I keep saying the pressure is on Charlton this year.
In that first game against NCST they will have to use every play in the playbook to win. If they limit themselves from the get go, that will be telling.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

If we have Fagnano or a returning Roberson or a 1 yr under belt improved Turner, the offense will be way ahead of last year. Considering how predictable our offense became due to injuries, it is remarkable what Charlton was able to achieve.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
If we have Fagnano or a returning Roberson or a 1 yr under belt improved Turner, the offense will be way ahead of last year. Considering how predictable our offense became due to injuries, it is remarkable what Charlton was able to achieve.
I hope you are right. But it's all hope.

Turner didn't develop as the year went along (he may have actually gotten worse)...we don't know if Roberson is healthy (and considering the reporting last year...we will never know)...and Fagnano was an average FCS QB who didn't look good in our "spring game".

I agree the offense "should" be better... but until we see it...it's just hope. I think they will be better...but it's not a guarantee.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Charlton has indicated that his hands were tied last year based upon lack of quarterback depth. This year is his chance to show what he can do when he has more personnel and is less concerned about injury.

I will say I saw a clip of Robinson working out. He looks very good physically.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Charlton has indicated that his hands were tied last year based upon lack of quarterback depth. This year is his chance to show what he can do when he has more personnel and is less concerned about injury.

This is the wrong thread - but here goes.... been thinking Roberson gets the nod opening day. Roberson can deliver that true duel threat element and should force NC State to spread the field and create some gaps. Fagnano should stay warm, its a long game and a long season. Roberson will be exposing himself, so injury risk is real. ZT sits third on the bench, but with the understanding that Fagnano might be given a very short leash should he come into a game or two.

This is all assuming the three effectively play to a three way tie in fall camp. Everything above is tossed in the garbage if one of the three rise above or fall behind.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

I agree...but it was still concerning that Turner didn't seem to develop throughout the season. That could all be on Turner...but you would think more reps in Charlton's system would have resulted in some improvement.

Again...I do agree that injuries severely limited the offensive playbook last year. But until we see an effective offense it's fair to say the jury is out on Charlton.

Reaction Score
This is the wrong thread - but here goes.... been thinking Roberson gets the nod opening day. Roberson can deliver that true duel threat element and should force NC State to spread the field and create some gaps. Fagnano should stay warm, its a long game and a long season. Roberson will be exposing himself, so injury risk is real. ZT sits third on the bench, but with the understanding that Fagnano might be given a very short leash should he come into a game or two.

This is all assuming the three effectively play to a three way tie in fall camp. Everything above is tossed in the garbage if one of the three rise above or fall behind.
That's if his leg is as good as it was before the injury. I have to thing Fagnano has the edge just due to familiarity with Charlton's offense and experience in it.

Reaction Score
I am an agnostic on the issue of who starts against NCST. But I gotta think that ZT will be at another level above where he was last year. He was a kid last year, a grown man now. Baptism by fire. Roberson will be ready. He is physically talented and a competitor just like the other two. Fagnano has seen it all and may be the most poised. But he has not seen the speed of an opponent like NCST. That may have him on the back foot so to speak for this particular game. ZT has already played a full game against NCST, (and Michigan, and Syracuse) so I would not be surprised if he starts. He knows the environment against teams like that. And let's not forget the UConn TE and RB who both have QB experience. I would not be surprised to see a trick play or two.

Reaction Score
The UConn D thriving after Spanos leave of absence could not have been good for his post-Uconn job hunting, that’s for sure.

We saved over 300K - good for everyone involved and good luck to him!

Reaction Score
I liked Spanos for what he did after Randy retired. He kept the team together and everyone played very hard for him. Unfortunately, it didn't work out the way anyone wanted and it sucks. But he's a good defensive coach. His history shows that. He'll get some time as an analyst and get another chance else where. I wish him the best.

Reaction Score
I liked Spanos for what he did after Randy retired. He kept the team together and everyone played very hard for him. Unfortunately, it didn't work out the way anyone wanted and it sucks. But he's a good defensive coach. His history shows that. He'll get some time as an analyst and get another chance else where. I wish him the best.
It may be in the end that Mora just wanted control of the whole thing and it wasn't about Spanos.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. But it's all hope.

Turner didn't develop as the year went along (he may have actually gotten worse)...we don't know if Roberson is healthy (and considering the reporting last year...we will never know)...and Fagnano was an average FCS QB who didn't look good in our "spring game".

I agree the offense "should" be better... but until we see it...it's just hope. I think they will be better...but it's not a guarantee.
I think we won 6 games with Turner a freshman quarterback. Our top running back Nate Carter got hurt. Our top receiver cam Ross was hurt and didn’t play. Our second best receiver got hurt the first game and basically missed the season. Turner still led us to 6 wins ! With the right weapons in place and a year under his belt I think Turner is going to win the job pretty easily and start.

Reaction Score
How’d he keep the team together? Those kids are competitors and it wouldn’t have mattered who was the interim they still would’ve played hard especially if they had professional aspirations. While he was here he ran a horrible defense that routinely saw 3rd string offenses going in.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think we won 6 games with Turner a freshman quarterback. Our top running back Nate Carter got hurt. Our top receiver cam Ross was hurt and didn’t play. Our second best receiver got hurt the first game and basically missed the season. Turner still led us to 6 wins ! With the right weapons in place and a year under his belt I think Turner is going to win the job pretty easily and start.
I commend him for what he did last year. He was thrown into the fire and I would guess the plan was to redshirt him last year.

But...be honest...the offense was bad last year. The last time we saw Turner he turned the ball over 4 times to Marshall. He completed one third of his passes. The game before against Army he threw two interceptions with no TDs. Again...the team had injuries...but he did struggle.

And you think he wins the job easily this year? I doubt that. I would guess he is QB3...behind Roberson and Fagnano. And I would think even McDonald would get a long look.

Reaction Score
Hey, I like Lou. He is a character and a good coach. He got along well with a lot of the players but maybe not some of the coaches. Wholley comes to mind. Thinking Mora did not like what he was seeing from the D and said so. Thinking Mora wants to dictate the D and if someone is named DC then it will be like Lashlee under Malzahn or whoever was OC under Leech. Curious how the Fisher/Patrino is going to go.

Reaction Score
How’d he keep the team together? Those kids are competitors and it wouldn’t have mattered who was the interim they still would’ve played hard especially if they had professional aspirations. While he was here he ran a horrible defense that routinely saw 3rd string offenses going in.
Those same players basically quit the season under Edsall the year before. And they didn't look much better at the start. A lot of the players on twitter were pumped that Spanos was coming back and even said they wanted him as HC. But I'm sure that doesn't fit some made up narrative in your head you got going on there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I commend him for what he did last year. He was thrown into the fire and I would guess the plan was to redshirt him last year.

But...be honest...the offense was bad last year. The last time we saw Turner he turned the ball over 4 times to Marshall. He completed one third of his passes. The game before against Army he threw two interceptions with no TDs. Again...the team had injuries...but he did struggle.

And you think he wins the job easily this year? I doubt that. I would guess he is QB3...behind Roberson and Fagnano. And I would think even McDonald would get a long look.
I have no idea if your assessment is correct, but, undoubtedly we improved the depth at quarterback. That gives us options. I fully expect a better office this season, even with all the key losses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom