Lou Spanos to Ole Miss as an Analyst | The Boneyard

Lou Spanos to Ole Miss as an Analyst

Reaction Score
Sometimes when you pick up a flaming pile of crap to save the day, it just ends us sticking to you. FB coaching is like shoots and ladders..

Reaction Score
Now that he is officially gone, does this allow us to fill the DC position? I figured since Spanos was still under contract during his leave of absence, maybe that is why we couldn't officially hire a new DC.

I am also fine with Mora running the D since he did a great job. I understand it would be hard at this time in the year to fill that role since that usually happens right after season but curious.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I wonder if we will ever learn exactly what happened here. It felt like it was a personality clash or philosophical differences with Mora...but that just seems so odd considering Mora's history with Spanos.

It feels like it worked out for the best...the D was solid last year. I just wonder how we got to a "leave of absence".

Reaction Score
A LoA is like a legal settlement w/o a bunch of lawyers - he got paid, he didn’t sue, we played nice. All good.

I know we spent time here poking fun at Boston press, but the CT contingent leaves a lot of stories on the cutting room floor.

Reaction Score
This is probably the worst decision Kiffin has made in his HC career. Hope they hold off on paying him until week 1.

Reaction Score
I wonder if we will ever learn exactly what happened here. It felt like it was a personality clash or philosophical differences with Mora...but that just seems so odd considering Mora's history with Spanos.

It feels like it worked out for the best...the D was solid last year. I just wonder how we got to a "leave of absence".
A question that does not to be answered. We've moved on. The Huskies have moved on. He served a purpose and he's moved on. Let's switch the topic to the starting QB as soon as we have some data.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> While the school announced last August that Spanos would be taking a leave of absence, the former interim head coach never returned. Spanos missed the entire season while earning $327.608 for the first year of his two-year contract signed in the spring of 2022.

Mora called defensive plays for the 6-7 Huskies, who earned a bowl bid last season.

The head coach will again oversee the defense in 2023, but UConn won't be paying Spanos to watch from home. In March, Spanos signed a contract to serve as defensive analyst at Ole Miss.

According to UConn, Spanos' new job voids the final year of his contract with the Huskies. UConn was on the hook for $335.000 for 2023. <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's still a mystery what happened here. He has a history with Mora...and after Mora is hired they gave him a new 2 year contract. So how did they go from giving him a new contract to a "leave of absence" within a few months? We have heard there was a difference in philosophy...but how does that become such an issue that someone has to leave? And the two people have done the exact same roles at another school?

Just odd. Oh well...it seems to have worked out for the best and I am glad UConn isn't still paying him.

Reaction Score
It's still a mystery what happened here. He has a history with Mora...and after Mora is hired they gave him a new 2 year contract. So how did they go from giving him a new contract to a "leave of absence" within a few months? We have heard there was a difference in philosophy...but how does that become such an issue that someone has to leave? And the two people have done the exact same roles at another school?

Just odd. Oh well...it seems to have worked out for the best and I am glad UConn isn't still paying him.

Lou thought he would be running things and when he wasnt he decided to run and hide.

Reaction Score

My thoughts exactly. But in the same category as the question did Mallory and Irvine reach the top of Everest before their deaths in 1924?

Looking forward to this season and to those that follow.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Now that he is officially gone, does this allow us to fill the DC position? I figured since Spanos was still under contract during his leave of absence, maybe that is why we couldn't officially hire a new DC.

I am also fine with Mora running the D since he did a great job. I understand it would be hard at this time in the year to fill that role since that usually happens right after season but curious.
At this point, I think Mora would promote someone internally (Coach Hilliard?) to fill the DC role and then also hire an up-and-coming younger coach to backfill the defensive coaching staff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From today’s article:

“Mora will continue to call defensive plays rather than hire another coordinator.”
I wondered about this choice, but then it occurred to me by eliminating the position as a standalone he, effectively, has a bigger pool of money for his assistants.

Reaction Score
I wondered about this choice, but then it occurred to me by eliminating the position as a standalone he, effectively, has a bigger pool of money for his assistants.
Exactly

Reaction Score
At this point, I think Mora would promote someone internally (Coach Hilliard?) to fill the DC role and then also hire an up-and-coming younger coach to backfill the defensive coaching staff.
The staff is at the limit as they moved an analyst into the TE coach and added the position of pass game coordinator.

Reaction Score

In between coaching together they had very different paths, Lou kept coaching and Jim had a chance to sit back and think about what he did right and wrong and change that stuff. Lou probably didn't have the time to think about all that and reflect. They probably just "grew apart" and didn't realize initially or tried to hold it together because of their history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom