Lou on Mental Health | The Boneyard

Lou on Mental Health

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Very sad to hear about Lou`s struggles. As always, I`m rooting for her - this time, not to hit the big shot but to get to a better place.

She is a terrific role model for young women and I am sure that she will find some comfort and joy in being able to help many others dealing with similar issues.

Reaction Score
We ALL have mental health issues. Mental health does not always equal a negative. Balance is key. Working out, riding horses etc etc are examples of coping mechanisms. Prayer helps also (for those of faith). Positive thinking and being productive helps also.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
To us fans Lou always appeared to be like Richard Cory of the eponymous poem by E. A. Robinson. She too was "clean favored, and imperially slim' and she too "glittered" when she walked. But unlike poor Richard, Lou found help and should be on the road to a fuller life ahead. She is maturing and becoming a better person and that is something to which we all can aspire. Always liked Lou, and I like her even more now! My thanks to her for sharing what must be a difficult personal struggle with us more mortal beings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are seeing this more and more lately, an athlete who operates at a very high level and yet struggles with feelings of depression and anxiety. Ben Gordon comes to mind. If you think of either Lou or Ben you'd think that they had it all going for them and yet both were privately struggling. I think it is a very fine line. The drive for perfection which pushes top athletes can never really be achieved. It's sad to hear about, yet the courage shown by Lou, Ben and others will definitely help others to realize that they aren't alone in this struggle and that there is nothing wrong with reaching out for help. I really complement all on them on having the courage to break the illusion of perfection to help others.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
We ALL have mental health issues. Mental health does not always equal a negative. Balance is key. Working out, riding horses etc etc are examples of coping mechanisms. Prayer helps also (for those of faith). Positive thinking and being productive helps also.

Yeah, but no. I know what you're saying but this minimizes actual mental health issues -- the ones where people benefit from professional help, be it a therapist of one type or another, prescription drugs, or both. There are mental health issues that can't be "positive thinking"-ed away.

Actual depression, the kind Lou is talking about, isn't something one can handle alone. That's the point of the story. It's okay to ask for help and that's an important story because asking for help is the only way to get better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, but no. I know what you're saying but this minimizes actual mental health issues -- the ones where people benefit from professional help, be it a therapist of one type or another, prescription drugs, or both. There are mental health issues that can't be "positive thinking"-ed away.

Actual depression, the kind Lou is talking about, isn't something one can't handle alone. That's the point of the story. It's okay to ask for help and that's an important story because asking for help is the only way to get better.
As a former patient of therapy I receive your point. All good.

Reaction Score
It is great that Katie Lou wrote this. It is also scary that she wound up in this place of distress and was holding it inside which is the thing most people do. Thank you Katie Lou for seeking help and sharing to help prevent tragedy in other people's lives.

Reaction Score
I'll keep it short: I am SO Proud of Lou! It takes a lot of courage to share such a personal story. She's such an inspiration and her journey will likely help others who are battling the same issues. Lou, if you're reading this: you will always be enough. don't forget that. and we all LOVE you :) And thanks for being an ally!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

ps. Our alumnae are just amazing people. Basketball accomplishments aside, they do so much for their communities and fans. I still remember Stewie's courageous #metoo story and how it may have helped so many young individuals in the world...

ok, so much for a "short" post ;)

Reaction Score
Appreciate Katie Lou for sharing her story. Very powerful. Glad that she found the courage to seek help when she found herself dealing with feelings and not being able to adjust to those feelings. Folks do not realize that it is okay to reach out for help when they are struggling. Also, always be upfront with mental health people or with people who are trying to help and you feel that you can trust them. They can't help you when you are hiding secrets and not being up front. Props to Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
To us fans Lou always appeared to be like Richard Cory of the eponymous poem by E. A. Robinson. She too was "clean favored, and imperially slim' and she too "glittered" when she walked. But unlike poor Richard, Lou found help and should be on the road to a fuller life ahead. She is maturing and becoming a better person and that is something to which we all can aspire. Always liked Lou, and I like her even more now! My thanks to her for sharing what must be a difficult personal struggle with us more mortal beings.
Incisive post, Bama. We all know people, sometimes family members who, by all appearances, are enjoying a great life and give an outward appearance of life being a bowl of cherries when actually it's the pits to them. She seemed to care about everyone, hopefully everyone will care for her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow! I had no idea! Kudos to Lou for talking about it. We know that Stewie had an issue to go public with, and Chamique had a long and difficult battle with depression.

Please give Lou our best regards and love! UConn Nation is 100% behind her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do not know if Katie Lou was depressed or not. Maybe she was or maybe she was not. I am no professional, but, her behavior on the court did not indicate a problem. She is an individual with a unique sense of duty. I think that the most impressive example of this was the Maryland game where she continued to play while throwing up every quarter. I do not think that by her description, that she has any different problems from any other person. But, like I said, I could not see anything in her behavior that was so unusual. But what do I know. We all have are own secrets and our own eccentricities that perhaps make us a little different than others. So, what is normal?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Appreciate Katie Lou for sharing her story. Very powerful. Glad that she found the courage to seek help when she found herself dealing with feelings and not being able to adjust to those feelings. Folks do not realize that it is okay to reach out for help when they are struggling. Also, always be upfront with mental health people or with people who are trying to help and you feel that you can trust them. They can't help you when you are hiding secrets and not being up front. Props to Katie Lou.
and...it's real important that the person you turn to is the right person ... unfortunately, they aren't always

i wonder how many troubled folks have finally found the courage to reach out -- only to get no help at all.

sad to contemplate. you can only hope they can find the courage to try again, somehow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom