Lou Needs Help | The Boneyard

Lou Needs Help

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I see someone playing one of those things on every second street corner here in NY. Apparently they're unplayable.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Plus Collier on bagpipes and Dangerfield on accordion. Drive their opponents insane.
You have successfully identified two members of my dream quartet. The other two instruments are, of course, banjo and jaw harp. I'm glad to see someone else recognizes the potential of these in concert.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess the analogy that Geno uses that a great team plays like a great band is a little more literal than we thought. ;)

JordyG

Reaction Score
The ukulele is much easier to learn than the guitar, and I can play neither one.... :(
On the Uke a person can literally play a chord with one finger of your left (or right) hand pressing down on the fret. I see so many young women in this city playing this pseudo instrument that it has little to do with musicianship and everything to do with attention seeking. A lot of people today think that if you can strum a chord it makes you a musician. As if solving a math equation makes me a mathematician.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
You have successfully identified two members of my dream quartet. The other two instruments are, of course, banjo and jaw harp. I'm glad to see someone else recognizes the potential of these in concert.

No Tuba???

JordyG

Reaction Score
No Tuba???
Accordions sound, to me, like a classroom of whining adolescents. Banjo's sound like someone dropping kitchen utensils while simultaneously scraping them across a blackboard. Bagpipes sound as if a cat is being eaten by an air conditioner. Jaw harps are their own reward. I've occasionally heard some really good tuba sounds though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Lou if you like that little ditty:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Peter Schickele.PDQ Bach wrote a "Suite for six gig-impaired instruments": contrabassoon, alto clarinet, piccolo, English horn, gong, and one I can't quite call up. Not unlike your dream quartet.

There was an accordion player on his way home from a gig (unrealistic as that might sound). It was late so he stopped for a cup of coffee. As he was paying for it, he realized that he'd left his instrument in his car unlocked. He rushed back to his car, but it was too late -- someone had already put two more accordions in it.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Cowbell, gotta have someone on the cowbell.
And the harp. Just remember Mark Twain's Letters From the Earth, in which God's emissary reports back to the Creator what people imagine heaven to be like:

"Meantime, every person is playing on a harp -- those millions and millions! -- whereas not more than twenty in the thousand of them could play an instrument in the earth, or ever wanted to.

Consider the deafening hurricane of sound -- millions and millions of voices screaming at once and millions and millions of harps gritting their teeth at the same time! I ask you: is it hideous, is it odious, is it horrible?"

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If this young lady can play a Ukulele, then Lou should have no problems. She is only 14.

Reaction Score
Accordions sound, to me, like a classroom of whining adolescents.
Anytime I hear or hear about accordions, I think basketball - specifically Tony Lavelli, four time all-American through 1949; a 6'3" player with a deadly hook shot. Even in college at Yale, he was into music and song writing. After a couple of years with the Celtics, he turned professional as an accordionist - I remember seeing him on stage at the Paramount theater in NYC as an accompanist for opening acts and/or doing solos just before the headliner.
Thanks for bringing back the memory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom