Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I’ve been married 41 years. FWIW, half of my wife’s family still spells my first name incorrectly and many still mispronounce my Lithuanian last name. It’s just not easy sometimes to speak names stemming from a different language.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would offer that it is much easier for a wing or a guard to strongly contribute (see Katie , Raina Perez, Carli Littlefield) to higher functioning D1 than it is for a forward or post player. At 6’1” and the ability to shoot the 3 and as well as know how a motion offense is run, we only need “Chica” to be a solid contributor which she very well could be. The Roster is at 11 now and I am fine if Geno/CD can add another guard or front court player with significant D1 experience. But if not, I also think CD and Amari will improve.
Watching her on film she looks like she'll be a good fit in UConn's offense. She is smart and reads defenses well. She knows how to come off screens ready to shoot. At 6-0 she'll be able to get her shot off.

Reaction Score
There's an old Yiddish expression: "My name is ________, but for all I care, you can call me pisher."

Reaction Score
The media department talks to the students to get the pronunciation, they don’t assume it
I want to have a good rapport with everyone on this board, including you, as you are a moderator.

I suggest that you read my post on page 13 of this thread and listen to Lou pronounce her name in the video. If you don’t understand something in the post, please feel free to ask me a question. You might also want to listen to the pronunciation link for sénéchal, a French word with the same spelling as Lou’s name, posted above by nomdoux (I was happy to see nom doux, which are two French words).

I’m not suggesting that you try to say her last name correctly. French is not your language, and it would be hard for you to pronounce her name. I really liked Bone Dog’s comment above about American mispronunciations of his French name.

Anyway, Connolly said he thought the pronunciation was SEN-eh-shawl. Fairfield lists it as Sen-a-chal. Neither is correct, but it doesn’t matter. An English speaker is not going to say it correctly. UConn fans will settle on something. I got involved in this discussion because someone wanted to know if the last syllable of the French pronunciation was more like shawl or shall. I was trying to be helpful to that person.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another great read on Lou with some nice quotes from some who’ve watched her play.

reached out initially.

What a great story. This shows how much effort is taken by the Staff to really see if a transfer is the right fit and can help. I am very psyched. LouConn LouConn LouCan LouCan :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom