Lots of thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Championship caliber post, Fishy.

Reaction Score
Awesome post, captured a lot of what I felt as well about the coaching staff, originally wanted shaka, but I was okay with Ollie. It was great watching Emmert have to stand in Uconn's glory, loved it.

We are going to blow the doors off of teams next year.

Reaction Score
Its probably mentioned elsewhere but I also loved Ollie responding at the half to the CBS sports lady that asked him about Kentucky being a "second half team." Ollie seemed pissed in his response: "Hey,we are a second half team too." (or something like that)

Reaction Score
Great post with one exception. While I admire Deepster's efforts, the last two titles have not been caused by Charlie Sheen and testicles. Too planned. The last two runs have been fueled by Makers Muppet (or whatever) and the idiotic Mr. Shea. Those are what brings UConn fans, UConn players and destiny together.

Reaction Score
Your level of superstition worries me, but the defining characteristic of this team was 100% the guard defense and how they'd lock down on primary handlers and how Ollie convinced giff and daniels to crash the boards more and be more physical.

We never saw a team this entire tournament that was comfortable with our defense. Ollie's substitutions were also near flawless. It might be sacrilegious to say but imo Ollie is a better in game coach than Calhoun
As a non-alum and recent move into CT (because my wife insisted we live in CT versus high tax NYS - remember the no income tax days?) in mid-1980s, I started watching UConn with Chris Smith. It was apparent right away (to me at least) that Calhoun was a different breed of cat for a coach. Love him or hate him, he digs deep into the psyche of his players, got them to evolve and play at levels one thought unimaginable. When younger he did seem rigid and almost insecure but his aging brought enough mellowing for him to listen better to his assistants it seemed, and he became a great coach. Ollie has the advantage of his NBA experience that Calhoun can never replicate. So Ollie is the best of both worlds.

But, no one can argue with Jim Boeheim's assessment of Calhoun: what Calhoun literally created out of his own mind and force of will at CT is almost impossible to conceive. I would argue it is easier to develop a football program, long-term given support, than to do what Calhoun did, in the old Big East against some of the greatest coaches that ever oversaw hoops programs. Love him or hate him, but for Calhoun (and on the other side Geno) no KO. The style UConn has and will always have, emanates from Calhoun's depths. Ollie is a true phenom. A product of his own rich but demanding life experiences (like Calhoun in some respects).

Wow....can't believe I'm even writing stuff like this after what we watched the last few weeks.......................surreal to me

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm often wrong, but I wanted KO to be JC's successor, I was OK when JC trapped WM into handing the keys to KO, I was OK with WM giving KO the interim tag, and I was thrilled when that tag came off.

I had no idea how KO would do with the X's and O's. But I was willing to take a chance on someone universally respected, someone who I thought I could recruit, someone who saw this as a "Destination Job," and someone whose upside was sky high.

Can't say I saw this coming, obviously. But while I liked -- and like -- Shaka Smart, KO was my first choice. Glad to be right for once.

Reaction Score
As a non-alum and recent move into CT (because my wife insisted we live in CT versus high tax NYS - remember the no income tax days?) in mid-1980s, I started watching UConn with Chris Smith. It was apparent right away (to me at least) that Calhoun was a different breed of cat for a coach. Love him or hate him, he digs deep into the psyche of his players, got them to evolve and play at levels one thought unimaginable. When younger he did seem rigid and almost insecure but his aging brought enough mellowing for him to listen better to his assistants it seemed, and he became a great coach. Ollie has the advantage of his NBA experience that Calhoun can never replicate. So Ollie is the best of both worlds.

But, no one can argue with Jim Boeheim's assessment of Calhoun: what Calhoun literally created out of his own mind and force of will at CT is almost impossible to conceive. I would argue it is easier to develop a football program, long-term given support, than to do what Calhoun did, in the old Big East against some of the greatest coaches that ever oversaw hoops programs. Love him or hate him, but for Calhoun (and on the other side Geno) no KO. The style UConn has and will always have, emanates from Calhoun's depths. Ollie is a true phenom. A product of his own rich but demanding life experiences (like Calhoun in some respects).

Wow....can't believe I'm even writing stuff like this after what we watched the last few weeks........surreal to me

last..........think of the vision Calhoun had to recruit "Bazz HARD (yeah, he had to....) to pair with Kemba, then also pair in RyanB. Then go back to Khalid and getting RickyM to become the defensive masterpiece. I could go on forever ...... Calhoun sees raw talent and quirky qualities others seem to not emphasize. As said above, 'diamonds in the rough' is correct (excepting the likes of Ray Allen and a few others) but he pairs them in combination strings that few coaches could really envision or effectively deploy. Just on that front alone Ollie had to learn a lot while being coached by Calhoun

Reaction Score
I'm often wrong, but I wanted KO to be JC's successor, I was OK when JC trapped WM into handing the keys to KO, I was OK with WM giving KO the interim tag, and I was thrilled when that tag came off.

I had no idea how KO would do with the X's and O's. But I was willing to take a chance on someone universally respected, someone who I thought I could recruit, someone who saw this as a "Destination Job," and someone whose upside was sky high.

Can't say I saw this coming, obviously. But while I liked -- and like -- Shaka Smart, KO was my first choice. Glad to be right for once.
Right there with you. Even though Calhoun kind of stumbled to the finish line, I still trust him implicitly and if he wanted KO to coach it was absolutely worth a shot to me. I figured it would take a few years to get KO experience and this season's ups and downs seemed to support that. But KO always said the right thing and the more we got to know KO the more we all learned what Calhoun daringly prophesized in the same way he built the program. I hypothesize that Calhoun also knew that with someone like KO he could jump in for the tourney on game planning (sure there is some ego with that, but that is JC and that is UConn) and if so that's yet another reason why Ollie was the right hire. AND now with Ollie establishing the UConn tradition of winning intertwined with NBA so hard the combo is staggeringly vital for continued success in conference limbo.

Reaction Score
Great post with one exception. While I admire Deepster's efforts, the last two titles have not been caused by Charlie Sheen and testicles. Too planned. The last two runs have been fueled by Makers Muppet (or whatever) and the idiotic Mr. Shea. Those are what brings UConn fans, UConn players and destiny together.

Still there are naysayers. FOUR duck*ING TITLES LATER, I have naysayers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was in favor of Ollie being the Head Coach, although my reasons were a little different than confidence in Calhoun or Ollie's resume. I thought that in the fall of 2012 we really didn't have any good options, and I thought slapping an "interim" tag on Ollie was stupid and petulant. I didn't want to test the waters unless Smart or Stevens were a lock, because I didn't want to be hiring some generic assistant or MAC coach. Ollie was as good as any of those level coaches, he was cheap, and I was confident that he would hold the team together better than a new coach would.

It is worth its own thread, but we got really, really lucky with Ollie. Most of these "designated successor" coaches fail. Look at Matt Painter at Purdue, who I thought was a pretty good coach. There is no excuse for that team to be as bad as it is. Craig Esherick was awful. Mahoney at St. Johns. Lappas was at least mediocre at Nova. Bruiser Flint is not a terrible coach, but he was terrible at UMass. It's really hard to succeed the legend while continuing the legend's legacy.

Reaction Score
I was in favor of Ollie being the Head Coach, although my reasons were a little different than confidence in Calhoun or Ollie's resume. I thought that in the fall of 2012 we really didn't have any good options, and I thought slapping an "interim" tag on Ollie was stupid and petulant. I didn't want to test the waters unless Smart or Stevens were a lock, because I didn't want to be hiring some generic assistant or MAC coach. Ollie was as good as any of those level coaches, he was cheap, and I was confident that he would hold the team together better than a new coach would.

It is worth its own thread, but we got really, really lucky with Ollie. Most of these "designated successor" coaches fail. Look at Matt Painter at Purdue, who I thought was a pretty good coach. There is no excuse for that team to be as bad as it is. Craig Esherick was awful. Mahoney at St. Johns. Lappas was at least mediocre at Nova. Bruiser Flint is not a terrible coach, but he was terrible at UMass. It's really hard to succeed the legend while continuing the legend's legacy.

But ...

I think Calhoun is as great a talent evaluator as we have seen in the last few decades at this level. He knew Kevin. I think many many people (as I read much now) knew that Kevin Ollie was an incredible student of the game. It's unbelievable what has come out in the last month. He lasted all those years, and you can read about it, by grinding through scouting reports, watching video and thinking like a coach. Thus, he is a Star. I think he loves Glastonbury and this life. I think he knows that College HC gets stability and longterm glory. I wonder what he thinks when he sees a Larry Brown or even a non-descript NBA guy who lasted 7 weeks. It's just simply a world that is forever in flux. Few Pat Rileys get to build & go the long run.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Fishy- re: #5, may I recommend national flag blue carharts and some bear mace.

Re: KO, the perfect balance of pride and humility.

Reaction Score
Fishy-I suspect you did The Muppet proud with this post. Store this post away. Somewhere down the road when the yard denizens are in an uproar, The Mojo will demand that this be reposted.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"In trying times, you can't stop trying." - Kevin Ollie

And last night is what happens when you don't stop trying...

Reaction Score
I thought that KO got a little carried away and wondered what the hell he was thinking with his statement that "We're going to come back home another banner"

They should take him down to Mirror Lake and see if he can walk across it without getting his feet wet.

Unbelievable!

Reaction Score
I thought that KO got a little carried away and wondered what the hell he was thinking with his statement that "We're going to come back home another banner"

They should take him down to Mirror Lake and see if he can walk across it without getting his feet wet.

Unbelievable!
He might make it without getting his feet wet, but even JC couldn't make it across that abomination without getting smeared in goose poop

Reaction Score
Remember when many people...myself included...thought this team would never be able to rebound well enough with the big-boys to have a strong year.....Neither do I!

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
How good does Brimah get to feel that he made that epic 3 point play. What a huge confidence booster going forward. I expect him to be a 10/10 guy next year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This. How about Bill Guthridge / Matt Doherty. Look at the string of coaches at UCLA or Indiana after Wooden and Knight. I know nothing is guaranteed, it may be a couple years or several years before UConn wins another title, Lady Luck can be fickle. But I do like our chances with Ollie to compete for championships. We have a blueprint that WORKS and we have a coach who can recruit, train, build up the team, prepare them for March.

Reaction Score
There is a movie to be made here. I said it first. Whether it's after KO wins his 3rd NC or it's in the next 12 months...there will be at the very least a documentary about how the 4th NC came about.

From the JC health issues and retirement to forcing WM's hand on hiring KO to the APR to the "I will bring back a banner" to the visit to Jerry's world during the SMU and UH losses to Emmert on the stand to Bazz's "This is what happens when you ban us" It is a book or movie waiting to happen.

You can't write this script.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The standing in your yard anecdote was choice.

And Deep deserves to be as unbearable as he wants to be after that bold call. So do the rest of us who spent the better part of the past four weeks editing and posting pictures of testicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom