Looks Like East-West Format Will Prevail | The Boneyard

Looks Like East-West Format Will Prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DALLAS – Big East commissioner Mike Aresco said Thursday plans for the conference’s divisional format could be completed by next month. Aresco, who was in town for the UH-SMU football game, said he favors an East-West format for the 12-team football league in 2013.

In that scenario, Houston would likely join San Diego State, Boise State, SMU, Memphis and Temple to form the Western division and Rutgers, Connecticut, Louisville, Cincinnati, UCF and South Florida would form the Eastern Division.

“We’re certainly looking hard at an East-West concept,” Aresco said. “I want to keep the western schools together if I possibly can. It makes sense to minimize travel.” Aresco said he could make a recommendation to the league’s athletic directors within the next month. From there it will go before the conference presidents for a vote. The Big East will play a conference championship game beginning next season.

Reaction Score
And with it, common sense.

Though, Temple must feel a bit like the red-headed step child, being placed in the west with Lousiville and Cinci in the east. I am not sympathetic.

Reaction Score
I would guess that they were told they might have to live with this as part of their invite. They were i no position to say anything other than "o.k., so are win in now?"

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Lol Temple in the West. Why? Because none of us Eastern schools wanted to play with them hahaha.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
That sucks I wanted to go to San Diego every other year.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that Temple agreed to play in the West as part of their entrance deal. They'll move to the East when/if ther is an opportunity.

Reaction Score
the East division is actually decent. No awful teams (unless you count us) and 6 schools that all average over 30,000 per game.

Reaction Score
As much as keeping Temple out makes the East stronger, for the sake of the league Cincy should have gone to the West. West division is tremendously weak. Cincy vs. Boise each year would have been a marquee matchup.

Reaction Score
In that scenario, Houston would likely join San Diego State, Boise State, SMU, Memphis and Temple to form the Western division and Rutgers, Connecticut, Louisville, Cincinnati, UCF and South Florida would form the Eastern Division.

it's really as much an old team/new team format as east/west I think this is probably the best arrangement we could have hoped for. While I think Temple would logically belong with UConn and Rutgers, I can see why they'd add UCF instead since them playing USF every year should be a no-brainer, and I'm glad/hope they keep Cinci and UofL with the east.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else get that small time feeling when you read "average over 30,000 per game?"
My thoughts exactly after I read that. It will be nice when we are in a position where 30k is a horrible disappointment.

Reaction Score
Better than some of the previous alignents that were mentioned as have some geographic rivals in East, us and Rutgers together, the Florida schools and Cincy-Louisville. When Navy comes in can put them in east and slide Temple to East and move Lousville-Cincy ito West as they are Memphis rivals. Just wondering how many cross over games each team will have.

Reaction Score
And with it, common sense.

Though, Temple must feel a bit like the red-headed step child, being placed in the west with Lousiville and Cinci in the east. I am not sympathetic.
This could actually benefit Temple in the W-L Column. Although it does bring back memories of when the Atlanta teams were put in the Western Divisions of the NFL & National League.

Reaction Score
It's as if the east gets to mine Florida and the west gets to mine Texas. And Temple gets to mine Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If we took ECU we would have gotten a team that averages 50,000.

But we're stupid, put basketball first, and took Temple.

Hoorays.
We had to take Temple to balance the shitshows most of the football schools call basketball programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom