Lookout here comes UConn | The Boneyard

Lookout here comes UConn

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is Not the same UConn team that lost 5 games this season. You can pretty much throw out everything over the past couple of months when Azzi and Caroline were sitting and unavailable. UConn was runnin on fumes and now UConn is runnin on High Octane. UConn is finally healthy and that is very scary. Everything has changed for UConn and will only get better and here's why. UConn will be playing in CT for the next two weeks giving them time to rest, practice, and play together. This gives them the time to regroup and they will. Azzi and Caroline are back. Just their presence on the floor opens up the defense giving Lou Aaliyah Griff Dorka and everyone else a chance to go one on one. Azzi and Caroline give UConn the scorers/shooters they were missing plus they can create their own shot without hesitation and they can handle the ball. Therefore TO's should be down . Having Azzi and Caroline coming off the bench is alot more then just instant offense.

Ive read comments about pollsters having UConn ranked 9. Well thats their opinion and they are entitled to it. Dropping UConn 4 positions in the polls after losing to STJ which is and unranked team seemed like alot. That was pre Azzi. Now think about this. Will Stanford Indiana LSU and some of the other teams who have lost in the past 2 days be dropped the same 4 spots????? Lets keep and eye on what happens to them and see how they are treated in the polls. This UConn team is Not a team you can rank below 3 in the polls and thats my opinion and Im entitled to it. Any team bringing Azzi and Caroline in off the bench is nothing lower then a 1 seed in the NCAAs. After yesterdays upsets and UConns overwhelming win I think UConn IMO should be ranked as a 1 seed.
With that said will will have to continue to play like we did yesterday to convince the pollsters we are for real...again. I am confident Azzi and Caroline will get better as they see more playtime and we may see some of that today. I am also confident that UConn will overwhelm their opponents the next 2 games. What is exciting is the anticipation of waiting to see Caroline Azzi and Lou go off. When they get a hot hand, well you can dream about that.

What we saw yesterday was the UConn team we saw earlier this year. The team we knew they were before they all went down. Yeah Caroline and Azzi arent where they were but just their presence on the court made it possible for UConn to dominate GTown. Thats what makes UConn so scary. If you disagree with me take a look at some of yesterdays games. How bout ND missing Mabrey and Miles. Look what happened to ND. Now look at what UConn has done without Azzi Caroline and lets not mention Paige and ICE and everybody else who was hurt. Look at some of the other teams who lost. They for the most part had their full lineups. UConn won 26 games without their entire lineup. All UConn needs to do is stay healthy and out of foul trouble. We cant afford not to.

All the top teams who have lost over the past 2 days may have been tired, may have had injuries and that makes them just like UConn was all season until yesterday. What UConn has now is the ability to operate their offense and defense with a full roster. UConn now has just to many weapons and those weapons can create their own shot at a very high percentage. We saw yesterday what The Azzi and Caroline Effect did for UConn when they were on the floor and they arent even up to speed yet. The way Geno has managed this team this season is nothing short of magnificent. When you think about it he has everybody back just in time for March. If you dont think that was planned think again. If you dont think Genos remarks over the past week or so were planned think again. Geno knows exactly what he is doing.

Get ready WCBB UConn is back

Reaction Score
This is Not the same UConn team that lost 5 games this season. You can pretty much throw out everything over the past couple of months when Azzi and Caroline were sitting and unavailable. UConn was runnin on fumes and now UConn is runnin on High Octane. UConn is finally healthy and that is very scary. Everything has changed for UConn and will only get better and here's why. UConn will be playing in CT for the next two weeks giving them time to rest, practice, and play together. This gives them the time to regroup and they will. Azzi and Caroline are back. Just their presence on the floor opens up the defense giving Lou Aaliyah Griff Dorka and everyone else a chance to go one on one. Azzi and Caroline give UConn the scorers/shooters they were missing plus they can create their own shot without hesitation and they can handle the ball. Therefore TO's should be down . Having Azzi and Caroline coming off the bench is alot more then just instant offense.

Ive read comments about pollsters having UConn ranked 9. Well thats their opinion and they are entitled to it. Dropping UConn 4 positions in the polls after losing to STJ which is and unranked team seemed like alot. That was pre Azzi. Now think about this. Will Stanford Indiana LSU and some of the other teams who have lost in the past 2 days be dropped the same 4 spots????? Lets keep and eye on what happens to them and see how they are treated in the polls. This UConn team is Not a team you can rank below 3 in the polls and thats my opinion and Im entitled to it. Any team bringing Azzi and Caroline in off the bench is nothing lower then a 1 seed in the NCAAs. After yesterdays upsets and UConns overwhelming win I think UConn IMO should be ranked as a 1 seed.
With that said will will have to continue to play like we did yesterday to convince the pollsters we are for real...again. I am confident Azzi and Caroline will get better as they see more playtime and we may see some of that today. I am also confident that UConn will overwhelm their opponents the next 2 games. What is exciting is the anticipation of waiting to see Caroline Azzi and Lou go off. When they get a hot hand, well you can dream about that.

What we saw yesterday was the UConn team we saw earlier this year. The team we knew they were before they all went down. Yeah Caroline and Azzi arent where they were but just their presence on the court made it possible for UConn to dominate GTown. Thats what makes UConn so scary. If you disagree with me take a look at some of yesterdays games. How bout ND missing Mabrey and Miles. Look what happened to ND. Now look at what UConn has done without Azzi Caroline and lets not mention Paige and ICE and everybody else who was hurt. Look at some of the other teams who lost. They for the most part had their full lineups. UConn won 26 games without their entire lineup. All UConn needs to do is stay healthy and out of foul trouble. We cant afford not to.

All the top teams who have lost over the past 2 days may have been tired, may have had injuries and that makes them just like UConn was all season until yesterday. What UConn has now is the ability to operate their offense and defense with a full roster. UConn now has just to many weapons and those weapons can create their own shot at a very high percentage. We saw yesterday what The Azzi and Caroline Effect did for UConn when they were on the floor and they arent even up to speed yet. The way Geno has managed this team this season is nothing short of magnificent. When you think about it he has everybody back just in time for March. If you dont think that was planned think again. If you dont think Genos remarks over the past week or so were planned think again. Geno knows exactly what he is doing.

Thank you. I have been saying part of this all season. Very good post.
Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Dropping UConn 4 positions in the polls after losing to STJ which is and unranked team seemed like alot. That was pre Azzi. Now think about this. Will Stanford Indiana LSU and some of the other teams who have lost in the past 2 days be dropped the same 4 spots?
I share your optimism, @Tonyc but I’m not sure Stanford Indiana LSU lost to unranked teams. The loss to StJ was pretty bad. People outside the BY could be forgiven for thinking that loss was an indication of our real quality.

By contrast, you and I see all the rising indicators and look past the rough patches. Azzi was 1-9 in the first half, but we just see her shaking off a little rust. We know that UConn is much more than it appears. I think we’ll be proven correct and others will wonder how we could be so prescient. If Azzi shoots 50% and hits a few 3s today, my faith in them will go through the roof. And I’m sure the rest of the team will build on her achievement.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I share your optimism, @Tonyc but I’m not sure Stanford Indiana LSU lost to unranked teams. The loss to StJ was pretty bad. People outside the BY could be forgiven for thinking that loss was an indication of our real quality.

By contrast, you and I see all the rising indicators and look past the rough patches. Azzi was 1-9 in the first half, but we just see her shaking off a little rust. We know that UConn is much more than it appears. I think we’ll be proven correct and others will wonder how we could be so prescient. If Azzi shoots 50% and hits a few 3s today, my faith in them will go through the roof. And I’m sure the rest of the team will build on her achievement.
Stanford lost to Washington, Washington State and USC; LSU lost to Tennessee; Indiana lost to Michigan State. All unranked.

NET ranking, school
55 St John’s

68 Washington
33 Washington State
31 USC

15 Tennessee

46 Michigan State

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They couldn't score 70 against a team that has 6 wins in the conference. Let's wait a little bit before popping the champagne.
I agree with let's wait. But, I think Geno pulled his foot off the gas and decided to use his bench more. I think he needs to find out soon...who on that bench can give him...something. Not talking about Azzi. Tougher games lay in waiting.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stanford lost to Washington, Washington State and USC; LSU lost to Tennessee; Indiana lost to Michigan State. All unranked.
Thanks Nan Thats why I feel if UConns loss to STJ dropped them 4 spots in the polls then Stanford LSU and Indiana should drop 4 spots too. Dont forget we were Azzi-less. We're a different team now.

Reaction Score

Compare the schedules of those teams and UCONN, it's not even close!
Without Azzi UCONN came within 4 pts of SC, no other team has come that close, so my thinking os with Azzi back, they're #2 behind SC.

Reaction Score
UCONN is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts
... and the parts are pretty damn good, maybe some of the best parts in the land!

Without Azzi UCONN came within 4 pts of SC, no other team has come that close, so my thinking os with Azzi back, they're #2 behind SC
This is like my mantra, but I only say it under my breath so no one can sully it with their doubts. It's too precious a thought.

Reaction Score

Preach. I enjoy reading your post and I 100% agree. Games have to be played, and I for one think that teams like Ohio, UCLA, Washington, Tennessee, 3-4 BE teams are extremely dangerous because they've gone through injuries, struggled through February or have been writtened off/underestimated. They also play hard, so you can't let off the breaks or decide the game is won before it's even played. There is something to be said for being ranked the best and winning accolades, but if you're team can't stay mentally focused and respect the opponent then...you'll find yourself losing a game you were winning by double digits. I also have a sneaking suspicion that UConn will be underestimated in the seedings, which may cause more "surprise" upsets since I think the media/people tend to over value UConn losses.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is Not the same UConn team that lost 5 games this season. You can pretty much throw out everything over the past couple of months
Maybe

giving Lou Aaliyah Griff Dorka and everyone else a chance to go one on one
For Sure
After yesterdays upsets and UConns overwhelming win I think UConn IMO should be ranked as a 1 seed.
I'm not interested in polls...time to put up or shut up...Win games!
Look what happened to ND.
Good Point.
All the top teams who have lost over the past 2 days may have been tired, may have had injuries and that makes them just like UConn was all season until yesterday.
Seems so.
If you dont think Genos remarks over the past week or so were planned think again. Geno knows exactly what he is doing.

I don't believe that for a second

Reaction Score
Please, Geno, put the bench in one at a time
He didn't need to even do that, but he did. When was the last time Patterson and Bettencourt played 10 minutes each? Even Deberry played for 6 minutes. You don't do that unless you feel the game is in hand. Which it was...from early on just because of the defense clicking. Georgetown didn't have it. Ransom was in foul trouble. Fauntleroy wasn't clicking. And that's with UCONN not shooting lights out either.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Let's wait a little bit before popping the champagne.
TonyC doesn't "pop" champagne, he posts from champagne-filled hot tubs.
P.S. The jury has returned a verdict on our bench. If it starts with Azzi and Caroline, it's a great bench; if it's Ayanna, Amari, and Ines, well, if you're hoping they get big minutes and have breakout games, you're probably spending too much time in TonyC's hot tub.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with let's wait. But, I think Geno pulled his foot off the gas and decided to use his bench more. I think he needs to find out soon...who on that bench can give him...something. Not talking about Azzi. Tougher games lay in waiting.
I think Geno knows by now who on his bench can give him what. He's looked at them every day in practice and for 32 games. How many more games does he need to form an opinion? :eek: Trust me....at this point, he knows EXACTLY what every reserve player on his bench brings when inserted into a game.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Caroline. She left yesterday's game late in the 2nd quarter and did not return. Let's see if she is active today. Having Azzi back is great. Having Azzi and Caroline back is even better. If Caroline can only give Geno 12-15 minutes a game going forwrd, it's huge. It takes some pressure off of everyone else. I'll feel a lot better about today's game if Caroline is available and plays. ;)

This just in...........
In the UConn recent post on IG, you don’t see Caroline warming up with the team. This is not good. :confused: Caroline not available puts a completely different light on today's game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on Caroline. She left yesterday's game late in the 2nd quarter and did not return. Let's see if she is active today. Having Azzi back is great. Having Azzi and Caroline back is even better. If Caroline can only give Geno 12-15 minutes a game is huge. It takes some pressure off of everyone else. I'll feel a lot better about today's game if Caroline is available and plays.
Yes. Just 15 mins will be enough to scare the crap out of the rest of the country.

Reaction Score

Obviously some really wonderful points but it sounded almost like there was a suggestion that Geno had planned to have Azzi and Caroline out intentionally and to get them back just in time for the Big East tournament .... that isn't really what you meant to infer, is it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom