Lobo Believes Stokes Will Have a Long WNBA Career | The Boneyard

Lobo Believes Stokes Will Have a Long WNBA Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If I am a pro team, Elizabeth Williams frightens me a little because of her injury history; knees and legs, it’s a concern,” Lobo said. “In the long term, I frankly think Kiah could be a better bet.” Fair enough - I agree somewhat but I have a hard time seeing Stokes go ahead of Williams. Harrison is another interesting prospect. She seems to have much more offensive pop than Stokes. Honestly, if she has a solid year it will be a tough call between her and Williams for the first post player taken in the draft IMHO...

Reaction Score
I agree with Rebecca. Kiah has not been injured and there is a lot of mileage left on her body. She will be drafted in the first round and will also play overseas.

This is a weak draft year and the posts with better offensive skills have been injured one time or another and have not been that great to be drafted ahead. Kia has more upside that both EW and Harrison.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of confidence in Kiah as a professional player. There's always been a place for centers that can defend and rebound in professional basketball no matter what their offensive game was like.

Elizabeth Williams is the better offensive player in college in large part she attempts to score more. I'm not sure she's that much more skilled than Kiah, and because of that I don't see much of William's post offense translating to the WNBA. Her post game is scoring around defenders instead of over the top of defenders and to translate to the pros it really needs to be the latter. We've seen what Kiah herself does to Elizabeth Williams when Williams is trying to score and that is the type of player she'll be going against in the WNBA. And she's not any better of a jump shooter than Kiah, and Kiah likely has more potential there just given the consistency of her shooting form. So without that post scoring is Williams that much more consistent and proficient at making layups and 15 foot jump shots? Because that's the likely future even for All-American centers in the WNBA with plenty of examples to point to like Jayne Appel.

I still think Williams will be drafted higher than Stokes based on offensive potential and the lottery teams need to chase potential even if that potential is more based in that Williams's self-image is that of a star player versus Kiah's self-image of a role player than a difference in skills and ability. But if I was the GM of one of the better teams I would probably prefer Stokes considering both in the end are likely to just be role players on the WNBA level anyway. I think Stokes has the ability to play that specific role more proficiently than Williams while also being more likely to stay healthy..

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If I want a true center I would take Ibiam first. She seems to have the best balance between offense and defense.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
If I want a true center I would take Ibiam first. She seems to have the best balance between offense and defense.

Go for it. But...you might imagine upside in your choice. Tomorrow is not today for Stokes.

Reaction Score
I think the WNBA will figure it out. The Uconn girls that have been drafted
have done quite well as a group. They know when they draft a Uconn player
they will be getting someone who is fundamentally sound. I think she just
needs to change her mind set. She knows how to score. It's much easier to
change the mind set offensively than to teach someone how to play defense
the way she does. Playing defense is a mind set also.

If Kiah gets drafted middle to late first round, she will end up on a pretty
good team. I would like to see her end up with a team like the Lynx. The
CT Sun have the third and forth pick and they could use some back up
in the post. Come to think of it, the CT Sun need a lot of help. I'm not
sure what their priorities are, but I would guess KLM will be gone by the
time they pick.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Trivia question: How many players in the WNBA were drafted that didn't START in college?

Was Ashley Battle a starter her senior year? How about Charde Houston?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Charde and AB were starters for parts of their careers. Ketia Swanier started some, but moved into a nice 6th man role. I believe she was the first BE 6th "Man" of the year. Ketia had a decent run in the WNBA. Kiah could be the best defensive player not named Griner's--and she's a better rebounder than Brit.

Reaction Score
The Shock should draft Kiah. She should think about stepping up her offense if they do. She'd fit in well with Glory and Paris.

Reaction Score
Charde and AB were starters for parts of their careers. Ketia Swanier started some, but moved into a nice 6th man role. I believe she was the first BE 6th "Man" of the year. Ketia had a decent run in the WNBA. Kiah could be the best defensive player not named Griner's--and she's a better rebounder than Brit.
I think Jen Hamson is as good as Griner (ducking...)...

don't know if she's going to play in the WNBA next year or not though.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I would love to see Kiah fall to the Lynx - but I think she'll be gone before then. She would be great for them. I could see her spelling Brunson or McCarville, each of whom would benefit from lower minutes than they have been sometimes forced to play. Each of them is very effective moving between the low and high post. Kiah would be a great fit. With Reeve barking at her and with Maya's encouragement I think she could progress quickly. There's a lot of scoring power on the Lynx roster, but as a group they are short on some of the qualities that Kiah is "long" in. . . !

Dantas is OK but she is not the defensive force that Kiah could be at the next level. If Minny has any way to trade up a few spots, they should do it.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Kiah fall to the Lynx - but I think she'll be gone before then. She would be great for them. I could see her spelling Brunson or McCarville, each of whom would benefit from lower minutes than they have been sometimes forced to play. Each of them is very effective moving between the low and high post. Kiah would be a great fit. With Reeve barking at her and with Maya's encouragement I think she could progress quickly. There's a lot of scoring power on the Lynx roster, but as a group they are short on some of the qualities that Kiah is "long" in. . . !

Dantas is OK but she is not the defensive force that Kiah could be at the next level. If Minny has any way to trade up a few spots, they should do it.
Well said, I agree with you assessment of the Lynx taking her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I don't know if the Lynx have just their own pick or anything earlier in the draft, so Kiah may not be available when they choose. I'd love to see her play there, though. They don't have a defensive stopper in the middle. Kiah is certainly that at the college level and probably can be at the next level. They don't need a lot of scoring from their center. I also think that Maya would be a good influence on Kiah. Who better to show and encourage good work habits and to boost your confidence? Look what happened when Maya roomed with Tina--TC became the NPOY.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
OK.

Don't quit your day job for anything in sports.

I want a player who has taken her time in college and used it to the fullest. If a player has played for Geno for four years and has not gotten close to her potential I am not convinced that she ever will. If you play for the greatest developer of talent in WCBB then you should already be pretty close. Plus, Ibiam obviously has not developed to her potential, either, but she has an excuse...she plays for an average coach like Staley.

Reaction Score
Kiah will have a good career in the WNBA rebounding and blocking shots! Which WNBA team can't use a player such as her for 12-15 min. a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom