List of UConn Out-Transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

List of UConn Out-Transfers

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was researching UConn transfers via Google, and found a Boneyard thread from 2012 (which I had started!).

Depending on whether you count EDD, Ekmark is - I believe - the 20th/21st transfer in the Geno era.

1994: Shea Matlock (Georgia Tech)
1994: Sue Mayo (Wake Forest)
1996: Amy Hughes (Xavier)
1997: Tammy Arnold (Oregon St)
1998: Jean Clark (TAMU - Corpus Christi)

1999: Marci Glenney (Clemson)
2001: Kennitra Johnson (Southern Indiana)
2003: Kia Wright (St Johns)
2004: Liz Sherwood (Vanderbilt)
2004: Kiana Robinson (Alabama)

2005: Rashidat Sadiq (Oklahoma St)
2006: Kristen Phillips (Richmond)
2008: EDD (Delaware)
2009: Jess McCormack (Washington)
2011: Samarie Walker (Kentucky)

2012: Michala Johnson (Wisconsin)
2012: Lauren Engeln (BC)
2014: Brianna Banks (Penn St)
2014: Sadie Edwards (USC)
2015: DeJanae Boykin (Penn St)

2016: Courtney Ekmark (Arizona St)

Nice list. I filled in McCormack and Robinson.​

Reaction Score

Nice list. I filled in McCormack and Robinson.​

I don't think Sadiq ever showed up at UConn, did she? Didn't she have some academic issues that caused her to not arrive? McCormack had injuries, and then went back to her native New Zealand to play netball.

Lauren Engeln was a sometimes player with a poor Boston College team, then was kicked off the team for some rules violation.

Michaela Johnson was a starter for a subpar Wisconsin team, but was hobbled by serious knee injuries.

Kia Wright was the only one who came back to haunt UConn. She was the one who took the last-second 3-point shot that defeated UConn at home, marking the last time UConn has lost to an unranked team. Though St Johns was subsequently ranked in the top-25, and played well after that.

Though she took off from Storrs, I wish the best for Ekmark. Her future teammates are playing well now, and I hope she can give them a big lift in 17/18. Seemed like a great kid with a lot of tools, who didn't gain traction her first year at UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
Though she took off from Storrs, I wish the best for Ekmark. Her future teammates are playing well now, and I hope she can give them a big lift in 17/18. Seemed like a great kid with a lot of tools, who didn't gain traction her first year at UConn

I have always suspected that the year Courtney home schooled to emphasize basketball may have been a well intentioned mistake. I wish her the best.

Reaction Score
I don't think Sadiq ever showed up at UConn, did she? Didn't she have some academic issues that caused her to not arrive?........

Stats indicate that she played in 26 game her junior year (was a JUCO transfer in) without having any real impact. Spent her senior year at Oklahoma State, after redshirting.

Reaction Score
I have always suspected that the year Courtney home schooled to emphasize basketball may have been a well intentioned mistake. I wish her the best.

Was thinking the same thing. Just wasn't the sort of player one would have expected when she showed up at Storrs. Didn't live up to billing, and that was strange.

Good point.

Reaction Score
I guess that has become the conventional wisdom, but I remember thinking it was a really smart move when it was announced. Believe she had almost graduated HS after 3 years; it wasn't an academic issue and she had been home-schooled in the past too. What I recall was that she wanted to use the year to focus on her quickness and strength, and her father (who was also her coach in HS) was putting together a guys club team and she was also going to play on that team. I remember thinking she was lucky that her old man was her coach and that he had seen her compete with 5 other girls in HS who were all going to Div 1 schools, that it seemed it permitted him to critique what she would need to be successful at UConn and almost design a customized development program for her.

The question in my mind would be "what if she didn't dedicate that time developing her body?" At UConn she still lacked quickness and strength. Assuming she didn't blow the year off, who knows how less prepared she would have been physically. She had a bad break when she got here and just didn't seem to bounce back as quickly as probably was needed.

Anyway, no way to tell now, but I've resisted putting the a lot of the blame on her problems on that decision -- unorthodox as it was. Hopefully ASU is kinder to her.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lived in Hamilton, a lovely old town an hour South of Aukland, that I know well; having had my own concert disaster there.
Talk about a small world, I was in Hamilton last night for St. Patrick's Day. Drank Good George IPA, the best beer in the Southern Hemisphere.

CL82

Reaction Score
I guess that has become the conventional wisdom, but I remember thinking it was a really smart move when it was announced. Believe she had almost graduated HS after 3 years; it wasn't an academic issue and she had been home-schooled in the past too. What I recall was that she wanted to use the year to focus on her quickness and strength, and her father (who was also her coach in HS) was putting together a guys club team and she was also going to play on that team. I remember thinking she was lucky that her old man was her coach and that he had seen her compete with 5 other girls in HS who were all going to Div 1 schools, that it seemed it permitted him to critique what she would need to be successful at UConn and almost design a customized development program for her.

The question in my mind would be "what if she didn't dedicate that time developing her body?" At UConn she still lacked quickness and strength. Assuming she didn't blow the year off, who knows how less prepared she would have been physically. She had a bad break when she got here and just didn't seem to bounce back as quickly as probably was needed.

Anyway, no way to tell now, but I've resisted putting the a lot of the blame on her problems on that decision -- unorthodox as it was. Hopefully ASU is kinder to her.
Agree with every word of this. No blame, it just didn't work out. I do wish her the best. She seems like a great kid. I'll root for her in the same way that I am rooting for Walker right now.

(btw TOSU/KY game is a good game. KY just came roaring back it is now 62-60 TOSU.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All those transfers and they still managed 11 NCs. How do they do it?
Because, most (not all), leaving they made the program better--no need to explain.
The only 2 I missed ---KJ Johnson--she was a good PG , 3 ball shooter, easy to talk to. Ekmark--I just generally liked her and the effort she put forth prior to arriving---her skill level never arrived--injuries??
There shall be more, that is nearly a guarantee--Uconn isn't for everyone--and some of those who left succeeded in a number of ways.
EDD--is only technically a Uconn--less than 24 hours on campus--is more like a recruit that did a verbal and pulled it back at the last moment.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw McCormack play several times during her Fr. year. Occasional flashes, but inconsistent. I was surprised she transferred to UConn. I didn't really expect her to become an impact player. She came to the U.S. with completely unfair and unrealistic expectations w/ comparisons to Lauren Jackson. The only similarity was they were both tall, blond and from island nations in the southern hemisphere. Nothing beyond that. She doesn't belong on a list of transfers out though because she didn't transfer, she just left the program and returned home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom