(Link) Gary Parrish's Top 25 post-NBA draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

(Link) Gary Parrish's Top 25 post-NBA draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey OP, the article was posted in freakin April. Can anyone read on this board?

Was it posted here? Never saw it. I wouldn't get too upset though. It's summertime.

Reaction Score
Very well said - well enough for a like AND a quote.
I'll throw in this . . .

If you can't be excited about a kid the size of Facey who showed, as a freshman in limited minutes, a bloodhouse-like nose for the ball while rebounding, and expect that, after Daniels and Giffey both have departed, he'll have a very important roll on this team, then you are a fine pessimist, and I'll leave you to your negativity.

For me? I'm ridiculously stoked about this kid, as I see him as having the physical skills to be a fantastic 4 year player.
I agree… I'm looking forward to seeing what Facey brings this season...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Recruiting. They replaced the guy who went #2 in this year's draft with the early favorite to go #1 in next year's draft. Plus they added either the best or second best freshman point guard in the country, who I'm sure will be a lottery pick in next year's draft as well.

That's right. Some guy that has been tearing up the high school circuit is better than the #2 pick in this year's draft who was also one of the most heavily recruited prep school kids I can ever remember. Every single incoming freshman is the greatest player to ever play their position. At least until next year's class.

Reaction Score
That's right. Some guy that has been tearing up the high school circuit is better than the #2 pick in this year's draft who was also one of the most heavily recruited prep school kids I can ever remember. Every single incoming freshman is the greatest player to ever play their position. At least until next year's class.

First of all, talk about a strawman argument.

Secondly, not sure if you've noticed lately but most of these hot shot, 5-star recruits actually end up being pretty darn good in college. I'm well aware that Jabari Parker was a very good player and maybe none of Duke's incoming freshman will be as good individually. But they have 4 5-star recruits coming in next year. The previous class, with Parker, had 1.

It's actually not a very difficult concept. They lost some good players to the draft and they are replacing them with an even bigger crop of good players.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
First of all, talk about a strawman argument.

Secondly, not sure if you've noticed lately but most of these hot shot, 5-star recruits actually end up being pretty darn good in college. I'm well aware that Jabari Parker was a very good player and maybe none of Duke's incoming freshman will be as good individually. But they have 4 5-star recruits coming in next year. The previous class, with Parker, had 1.

It's actually not a very difficult concept. They lost some good players to the draft and they are replacing them with an even bigger crop of good players.

It is not a strawman argument when I repeat what you are saying.

Also, apparently freshmen > non-freshmen in basketball. Do players get worse while they are in college? You are right, it is not a hard concept.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Also, apparently freshmen > non-freshmen in basketball. Do players get worse while they are in college? You are right, it is not a hard concept.

Do ALL freshmen come into college with equal skill sets and athleticism?

Are you trying to say that the HBF is saying all freshman > all non-freshman? He is not. That would be as silly as someone (maybe like you) that would try to say zero freshmen are > all non-freshmen.

Give it up already. You're losing yet another argument that, in your head, you think you're dominating.

Reaction Score

Since players get better while in college, shouldn't Cook, Sulaimon, Jefferson, and all the other Duke returners be better this year than they were last year?

So to summarize, Duke lost 2 studs, 1 nice role player, and 2 other guys who are completely forgettable. They replace those guys with 4 5-star recruits, plus the presumed improvement of every single other guy on their roster, which includes 3 starters from last year.

Sure sounds like a net improvement to me.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Freshmen don't always live up their hype but they don't come in as a blank slate either. Pretending to have no idea how good these guys are likely to be makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Duke lost the guy that is probably the favorite to be rookie of the year, plus another 1st round pick, off a team that went out in the first round, and they will be better next year. Got it.
So a 1 man team is better then a team with 4 5 star recruits coming in? 1 who is projected to be the #1 pick? Ok got it.

Oh wait I bet you're one of those guys who think UK's model does not work.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Facey barely played last year because of his comical foul rate. Why anyone thinks that the media should assume he's poised for some sort of breakout season is beyond me.
Bruce , Bruce Bruce,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32