Link for schedule for ICE BRADY and FIBA U18 Americas Championship | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Link for schedule for ICE BRADY and FIBA U18 Americas Championship

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Question for those who have actually seen these games:

Ice: got wisdom on how she runs the floor..end-to-end?
I would say ONO was a near 10 in that category... for her size. How goes Ice compared to that?
If ONO was a 10 and we are strictly talking about running the floor then Ice is probably a 9.889+. What I mean by that is ice is going to get to the front of the rim a step slower than Liv did at a comparable age which was U17 USA basketball. As we both know it's not all about just running the floor and that + sign for Brady would lead me to believe that although Liv would arrived at the basket sooner Ice will ultimately be more productive. Ice arrives at the basket with more force and greater balance which is crucial to finishing through contact which at most times is unavoidable.
One other beautiful aspect of Brady game is she is a great transition ignitor. Not only is she a very good rebounder but she is absolutely awesome at advancing the ball with those two first dribbles (more if necessary) with her head up to start the transition. Those first two step are crucial and instead of looking for a guard to pass the ball to Ice is already accessing the defense when the defense is at its most vulnerable. That may seem like a small thing but it is going to pay huge dividends for UCONN. Aubrey Dorka, and Ayanna are going to get get layups off that action by running the floor hard & Caroline, Paige, Lou ^2 and Azzi are going to get many open looks by fanning out to shoot the transition 3.

Reaction Score
There’s not been a lot of good passing in the interior so far. But the guards may rise to the challenge of a better opponent. But I’d be surprised if Canada has anyone who can stay with Ice and Rosario if we can get them the ball.
Canada has one big girl (First name - Fatima) almost Del Rosario's size but not as athletic. It should be an interesting match up for Ice. She'll have to use her moves and quickness, because I don't think she'll be able to just overpower the Canadian center.

Reaction Score
I also thought Rice seemed larger than I expected. She’s listed at 5’11” but she looks bigger than Paige. Maybe it’s just the camera angles.
I should have been more specific in my observation. I thought she was thinner. Her legs look powerful.

Reaction Score
Continuation from my post above.
Canada has one big girl (First name - Fatima, 6'5" who plays for Georgia) almost Del Rosario's size but not as athletic. It should be an interesting match up for Ice. She'll have to use her moves and quickness, because I don't think she'll be able to just overpower the Canadian center. Fatima played the entire first quarter in Canada's last game vs Argentina. Though she only played 15 minutes in total.
I see the USA-Canada game playing out this way. The USA will have an advantage on the boards, in outside shooting (despite Canada having a better 3 point percentage so far), in committing fewer turnovers and much more depth.

Reaction Score
I should have been more specific in my observation. I thought she was thinner. Her legs look powerful.
I felt that way too. But she also looks taller as well. I’ve seen a few games of hers on YouTube, and she seemed slender and long at 5’11”. In this series, though, she seems closer to Olivia Miles in size and build. Not quite as big as Sonia Citron. She and Miles also share some moves in the lane.

Of course all of this may just be distortion from the high perspective of the camera angle we get.

Reaction Score
There’s not been a lot of good passing in the interior so far. But the guards may rise to the challenge of a better opponent. But I’d be surprised if Canada has anyone who can stay with Ice and Rosario if we can get them the ball.
If this tournament comes down to USA and Canada, which it probably will (IMO). It is
noteworthy to review the "stat" line from the FIBA U 18 webpage: For Canada: T'yana Todd has
a 3 ' % of 50 %, Emma Koabel has a 3 ' % of 43.5%, and Jasmine Bascoe has a 3' % of 37.5 %
These three Canadian players are number 3, 4, and 6 of all U 18 players in the tournament.
Cotie McMahon of Team U18 USA is # 5 at 42. 9 % on 3 for 7 shooting from 3 point range.
Canada has a 35.9 % three point % on 33 for 92 shooting (over 30 3 pointers a game!)
The USA is at 24.6 % ( 14 for 57 over 3 games ). I trust that we have the height on the perimeter to hold off any
three point onslaught. GO USA Control those Boards!! Onward ICE Brady!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If ONO was a 10 and we are strictly talking about running the floor then Ice is probably a 9.889+. What I mean by that is ice is going to get to the front of the rim a step slower than Liv did at a comparable age which was U17 USA basketball. As we both know it's not all about just running the floor and that + sign for Brady would lead me to believe that although Liv would arrived at the basket sooner Ice will ultimately be more productive. Ice arrives at the basket with more force and greater balance which is crucial to finishing through contact which at most times is unavoidable.
One other beautiful aspect of Brady game is she is a great transition ignitor. Not only is she a very good rebounder but she is absolutely awesome at advancing the ball with those two first dribbles (more if necessary) with her head up to start the transition. Those first two step are crucial and instead of looking for a guard to pass the ball to Ice is already accessing the defense when the defense is at its most vulnerable. That may seem like a small thing but it is going to pay huge dividends for UCONN. Aubrey Dorka, and Ayanna are going to get get layups off that action by running the floor hard & Caroline, Paige, Lou ^2 and Azzi are going to get many open looks by fanning out to shoot the transition 3.
Great observations. Just to add - not only is she solid with the ball and can actually bring it up the floor (not guard skills, but great ball handling for a big), but there was a play where she snatched the rebound, and threw a touchdown pass to a teammate who was sprinting the floor. The teammate caught the pass in stride for a layup. It seems that she has excellent court vision in addition to all her other skills. And obviously strong enough to throw an end to end pass with accuracy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Continuation from my post above.
Canada has one big girl (First name - Fatima, 6'5" who plays for Georgia) almost Del Rosario's size but not as athletic. It should be an interesting match up for Ice. She'll have to use her moves and quickness, because I don't think she'll be able to just overpower the Canadian center. Fatima played the entire first quarter in Canada's last game vs Argentina. Though she only played 15 minutes in total.
I see the USA-Canada game playing out this way. The USA will have an advantage on the boards, in outside shooting (despite Canada having a better 3 point percentage so far), in committing fewer turnovers and much more depth.
This is the type of match up/competition I want to see for Brady. Lesser competition is not a concern to me. The Bostons of the league is what I'm concerned with. THEY provide the level of play we must overcome to win in March. Can she out play or dominate a player this big?

Reaction Score
I agree, I thought Ice ran the floor well, and as you point out can also push it up the court a little. Maybe get some Hockey assists, the pass that leads to the pass etc. That is one of the things that doesn't show up in the stat sheets that Nika does by pushing the pace, Ayanna appears to have that ability as well, and maybe Aubrey too if healthy.

As for passing I see natural instinctive passing from her. As for Liv, I think she learned to be a good sound passer within the system, and partly because her shot was lacking. I think her natural instincts or abilities for passing were probably pretty good, but to a certain extent her passing was a byproduct of the system, and the fact she was not a shooting threat from distance.

Dorka's assists were much higher in Uconn's system that at Ohio State for example. Potentially offensively Ice could be as good a passer as Liv, a much better mid-range jump shooter, and a true post up big that can finish against contact. Liv is probably a much better shot blocker and maybe rebounder as well, but on the offensive side Ice looks like she is well rounded and more talented.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree, I thought Ice ran the floor well, and as you point out can also push it up the court a little. Maybe get some Hockey assists, the pass that leads to the pass etc. That is one of the things that doesn't show up in the stat sheets that Nika does by pushing the pace, Ayanna appears to have that ability as well, and maybe Aubrey too if healthy.

As for passing I see natural instinctive passing from her. As for Liv, I think she learned to be a good sound passer within the system, and partly because her shot was lacking. I think her natural instincts or abilities for passing were probably pretty good, but to a certain extent her passing was a byproduct of the system, and the fact she was not a shooting threat from distance.

Dorka's assists were much higher in Uconn's system that at Ohio State for example. Potentially offensively Ice could be as good a passer as Liv, a much better mid-range jump shooter, and a true post up big that can finish against contact. Liv is probably a much better shot blocker and maybe rebounder as well, but on the offensive side Ice looks like she is well rounded and more talented.
Based on the limited play I’ve been from Brady during this tournament, I think Geno will have a hard time keeping Brady on the bench. I doubt she’ll start, but she will play significant minutes from day 1.

The more you play, the more you play. Obviously Brady will get better and improve as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
It it worthy of note that Canada is shooting from three point land at a much higher percentage
than USA: T'yana Todd from Boston College, Emma Kobel from Duke, Lemyah Hylton from
Arizona, and Jasmine Bascoe from a Canadian school. Will our interior play sustain the USA??
In a word: YES!!!

Reaction Score
I think Saylor's mom talked about the fit but I don't remember any complaints about the academics. Saylor was probably just unhappy with the playing time projections and left. So far things seem to be working out well for her in Arkansas according to her coach. She did practice with the team this past year and according to reports was "lighting it up" in practice. This could happen to any kid. We should all wish her the best.
The way I remember it playing out: Saylor committed first (if I remember correctly). then she was recruited over when Caroline Ducharme signed. She got injured and couldn't play up to her standard. Caroline Ducharme has some great games, Azzi got well and poor Saylor was sliding down the list and couldn't do anything about it. I had high hopes for her and hoped she would rise to the challenge. Evidently she decided to not try. When I saw her mom's post, I realized there was a lot more drama behind the scenes. My take on mom is that she wanted her daughter happy and encouraged her to take the easier route.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Rest daytoday for the team. Next game is tomorrow Friday June 17.
USA v Mexico boxscore - FIBA U18 Women's Americas Championship 2022 - 17 June - FIBA.basketball

Watch on: Youtube.com/FIBA

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If this tournament comes down to USA and Canada, which it probably will (IMO). It is
noteworthy to review the "stat" line from the FIBA U 18 webpage: For Canada: T'yana Todd has
a 3 ' % of 50 %, Emma Koabel has a 3 ' % of 43.5%, and Jasmine Bascoe has a 3' % of 37.5 %
These three Canadian players are number 3, 4, and 6 of all U 18 players in the tournament.
Cotie McMahon of Team U18 USA is # 5 at 42. 9 % on 3 for 7 shooting from 3 point range.
Canada has a 35.9 % three point % on 33 for 92 shooting (over 30 3 pointers a game!)
The USA is at 24.6 % ( 14 for 57 over 3 games ). I trust that we have the height on the perimeter to hold off any
three point onslaught. GO USA Control those Boards!! Onward ICE Brady!!
The problem with any of the group level stats is that it is like any college one seed playing in a first round tournament game. If the one seed forgets to turn up and the 16 plays out of their minds it is a 30 point MOV, if the one seed shows up the MOV may be stratospheric.

I doubt Brady will ever shoot 80% over a three game stretch in her college career, and I doubt Canada should it come down to USA v. Canada will be as efficient as they have been in the group stage or will be in the early knock-out stages.

Reaction Score
Amy Poffenbarger said regarding Saylor’s decision. “The academic [side] wasn’t super-engaging, there wasn’t much to the campus life, and there wasn’t the ability to get out and meet a lot of people. Unfortunately that part of college life ... that part wasn’t happening for her.”

I stand corrected to a degree on the academics but the "academic side wasn't super engaging" could also be more of a comment about the "fit", as the rest of the quote certainly was. I don't think it was an overt criticism of the academics as much as the fit. If it was really about the academics then why would she then transfer to a less challenging academic school?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Personally want to see an aggressive and highly motivated Amari start for us this year. But if she can’t raise the level of her commitment that’s acceptable and satisfactory to Geno, it appears that Ice Brady can. Amari must be mindful and cautious that Brady does not jump her on the depth cart. :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
USA beats Mexico by 36. Ice with 10 pts on 7/10 shooting with 11 rebounds (4 offensive), 3 steals & 3 turnovers.

A couple thoughts on Ice’s play. She worked incredibly hard today to get open, frequently without her teammates getting her the ball, or getting it to her late or in the wrong place. It’s one of the problems playing with a bunch of HS kids on an all star team. Ice is going to love playing with Paige and her teammates at UConn who will get her the ball frequently, on time and in the right place.

Ice did have a couple of loose turnovers in today’s game, the kind of turnovers that would incur the wrath of Geno and earn her a spot on the bench. I guess UConn’s coaching staff will have a little work to do once Ice gets to Storrs. ;)

Reaction Score
Was that the worst 35 point win ever???
In a word, yes.
The USA seemed to have mailed the second half in. If you going to watch the replay, skip the second half.
Consider some of these stats.
USA - 27 turnovers !!
They won the second half by a score of 30-25.
London Jones played 29'03". In that time (3rd most on the team) she scored 0 points and had 6 turnovers.
Ice played 26'46" and scored 10 points (5 of 7) and led the team with 11 rebounds.
FYI. Canada beat Mexico 68-40

Reaction Score
USA beats Mexico by 36. Ice with 10 pts on 7/10 shooting with 11 rebounds (4 offensive), 3 steals & 3 turnovers.

A couple thoughts on Ice’s play. She worked incredibly hard today to get open, frequently without her teammates getting her the ball, or getting it to her late or in the wrong place. It’s one of the problems playing with a bunch of HS kids on an all star team. Ice is going to love playing with Paige and her teammates at UConn who will get her the ball frequently, on time and in the right place.

Ice did have a couple of loose turnovers in today’s game, the kind of turnovers that would incur the wrath of Geno and earn her a spot on the bench. I guess UConn’s coaching staff will have a little work to do once Ice gets to Storrs. ;)
Ms. Brady did very well to compose herself in the second half with 8 points ( of 10 total) . Good
sportmanship with a nice hug to a Mexican player after the game ended!1

Reaction Score
YES!! Mexico had 17 points in the third quarter... USA also had 17 points in the third quarter!
Mexico made some nice backdoor plays and if they had a friendly rim would have had about
10 more points.
YES!! USA scored17 points in the 3 rd quarter, Mexico scored 17 points!

Reaction Score
Other thoughts on the game.
Mexico was the best team the USA has faced, in this tournament so far, and they came in last in the other bracket. It seems as though the 4 teams in that bracket were much more evenly matched.
Playing time was not as evenly distributed to the 10 active players as they were in previous games, Rice 30'32", Van Slooten 30'45", Jones 29'03" ( I'm not sure why) Ice 26'46" (Del Rosario did not have a good game and played only 11'04"). It will be interesting to see if this game was unique, as far as playing time goes, or if its a trend, now that they're in the playoff portion of the tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom