2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0 | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
This ain't Barnum and Bailey. We don't need a pitch. Read the Borges article, they just want to understand how Liam fits. Roll tape of us and Liam side by side. Point out how his skills and style of play fit into and even mirror our system. The product sells itself, just need to point out all of it's features, and all the while sell the University as well. I'm sure President Maric would be happy to meet Liam and his family.
Exactly. Hurley and Co. will talk about basketball and hard work and trying to win. Hurley is a blue collar hatd working dude from jersey with a single focus. This isnt about jets and girls and money. Those are the types of things that come after the hard work. Calhoun had a similar identity. Thats why we love these guys. Serious people attact other serious people. Thank god we have the right guys running this program. Hopefully Liam is a serious guy and we have a good fit. And If these guys can 3 peat, no one will ever forget these kids.

Reaction Score
After reading the Borges article, I just don’t see any other schools on his list that check every box the way UConn does. Fit/style of play? We’re perfect for him. Role on the team next year? We absolutely have a need and space for him, but we’re also not in the middle of a total roster overhaul. We can talk to him about his role with a pretty good sense of who he’d be playing alongside. Development? Hurley and co. Are masterful and have proven they can get guys into the NBA year-over-year, and it’s only improved as our level of talent has risen.

I don’t see a single other coach/program that’s been connected to him recently who have a track record of delivering on all of the above.
Add an awesome opportunity to play not only for a conference title but more importantly on the big national championship stage next March/April.

Reaction Score
Add an awesome opportunity to play not only for a conference title but more importantly on the big national championship stage next March/April.
Plus I'm sure he must have noticed how Castle developed this past season (and will probably end up being a top 10 pick...possibly even top 3 or 5).

Reaction Score
Football will always be king, but Michigan has an incredibly rich basketball heritage. They have more Final Fours, more weeks ranked, etc. They're not as good a program as UConn, but they're good enough that with the massive financial disparity they have in their favor, they will always pose a threat and will always be able to field good basketball teams provided they don't have a dumpster fire of a coach.

The B1G and SEC are going to have more and more teams that are good at both football and basketball consistently...
They've got one national championship in their history which happened 35 years ago thanks to referee John Clougherty. The most famous stretch in their history was arguably the most dirty stretch in college basketball history when they were laundering money to all their players through illegal gambling operations. They just hired a mid-major coach named Dusty.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

200w.gif

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
We just (presumably, if AK's mock is accurate) cleared out a rather large spot on the team for a uber-talented 6'7" sharpshooting NBA lottery bound wing to come & seamlessly integrate himself into the starting 5 as they attempt an incredible journey to win a duckin 3-peat..... & be coached by the top coaching staff in the nation..... doesn't get much better than that

Reaction Score
After reading the Borges article, I just don’t see any other schools on his list that check every box the way UConn does. Fit/style of play? We’re perfect for him. Role on the team next year? We absolutely have a need and space for him, but we’re also not in the middle of a total roster overhaul. We can talk to him about his role with a pretty good sense of who he’d be playing alongside. Development? Hurley and co. Are masterful and have proven they can get guys into the NBA year-over-year, and it’s only improved as our level of talent has risen.

I don’t see a single other coach/program that’s been connected to him recently who have a track record of delivering on all of the above.
And I imagine Liam and family see it as well.

Reaction Score
Why did he choose IU to begin with if he didn't like the coach? Seems odd you would commit somewhere assuming the coach would be gone. Especially not knowing the future coach.
People make mistakes and have doubts. You have to listen to your gut. I’m happy for him, he gets a redo and doesn’t have to face buyers remorse for a year at Indiana.

Reaction Score
Not in this day and age of transfer portal and NIL. Just wait till a DOOKIE transfers to UNC or vice versa.
Has that ever happened before?

I live in NC and know a number of people who have degrees from both schools but has there ever been a basketball player that's played for both??

Reaction Score
It makes perfect sense.

Michigan's a fine basketball school and May obviously has charisma but...

A coach/program with a proven track record of winning titles, and the best offense in MCBB, which happens to be perfect for his game

vs.

An unproven coach who hasn't shown he can win games at the high-major level--much less resurrect a program in turmoil

The back-to-back champion is making YOU the centerpiece of their postseason recruiting! You're going to turn down a major role in the best offensive in the country to jump into the unknown? Anything can happen but UConn just makes too much sense.

Yeah, NIL, whatever. We'll pay enough to make it not about money.
For someone who's looking to build a brand and a career, you'd have to think that the "earned media" a guy like that would get on one of the most-covered teams in the sport would make up for any shortcoming in their immediate compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom