Let's Talk Iowa State... | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Let's Talk Iowa State...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

1. is this UConn team for real? Are they winning with Mirrors? Or are they for real? I ask this because I keep hearing about how key players are inconcsistent. Or things like...if we bring our A Game. Or if the right Daniels shows up.

Uconn has been somewhat inconsistent offensively over the year. Probably the biggest question marks are Daniels and Boatright. If Daniels scores in the first few minutes he stays aggressive throughout the game, when he misses his first few shots he sometimes loses focus. Boatright is just a very mercurial player, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. The nature of the tournament seems to have brought out the best in both of them. Brimah is also inconsistent based on both being a very raw freshman and a tendency to foul troubles. He too has shown steady improvement lately and is a major wild card because in the view of some, and I include myself here, he might be the most athletically gifted player on the floor. It would not surprise me if he were a lottery pick in a few years. Uconn is for real because defense is an every night affair and this team plays big time, man-to man, help defense. It's not fancy -- no presses, no traps, not much zone, but with KO if you're not defending, you're on the bench.

Reaction Score
Only one fan base was correct each year. That happens when you make the tournament as often as we do, a problem you guys only hope to have.

This fanbase is so cute. You call us a mid major because you play in the Big 12. Yet we've been to the sweet 16 more times than you've been to the NCAA tournament.

You're like Vanderbilt Football bragging about the SEC. Except Vanderbilt at least has academics.

Not sure I ever called you a mid major. And I am sure when someone does it is tongue in cheek. Sarcasm jokin. Kinda like iowan potatoes and noodling(seriously guys Iowa is not in the South).

You see the difference is a lot of years, ISU has made the tourney, we realize our expectations and don't blow off other's opinions. I didn't see ISU fans on tOSU's board last year touring how good we were and how Ross and Craft would be shutdown. I didn't see ISU fans on Kentucky's board claiming we would beat Kentucky with White. ISU fans did think we would beat ND and UConn in those years and considering everyone picked ISU to lose we didn't think the team had anybody's respect. ISU fans also think this team has Elite eight potential. And yes, when UConn fans say that ISU will lose with Niang out, they do think that is a little disrespectful to Kane, Ejim, Hogue, Long and Morris. Hell, a lot of ISU fans undervalue Hogue and Morris.

IMO- this game is a toss up. I think Shabazz is unreal and have no doubt he gets his. I really think Boatright will hurt us more and Daniels is really impressive. ISU has seen much, much better big men than Brimah and while Giffey is a better shooter than Heslip/Forte/ Hield...he doesn't seem like the type that shoots on the run with a hand in his face and is easier to defend than the aforementioned. Samuels is scary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My point about having been there and done that is UConn fans recognize when the Huskies are in trouble, because we have seen a lot of very good UConn teams stumble in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. This year's team is good, but not nearly as good as some of the better UConn teams. That said, UConn has a good draw, which is critically important, and Iowa State is missing one of its best players.

Losing a key player during the tournament is a death sentence for the postseason hopes. You guys are still good, but you are living on borrowed time. You wouldn't have gotten the 3 seed if you had lost Niang 3 weeks ago. Iowa State is not a 3 seed caliber team anymore, and UConn is the last team Iowa State has a reasonably high probability of beating in this tournament.
No they aren't a three seed but are they a 5 or 6? Do they drop to a 7 or a 9? That is what remains to be seen.

caw

Reaction Score
This is a good UConn team. It's not a great one. I don't think anyone came into the season thinking this team was the favorite for a NC. 2004, 1999, maybe 1995, 2009 and 2006 all had those expectations (final four at least). Of course everyone comes in hoping but that's not being realistic.

I think most expected a good shot at a sweet sixteen as the barometer for this years team. They have met preseason expectations.

Now with the brackets and injury to ISU expectations/hopes have increased. Right now all anyone can really say is that the game is a toss up on paper with UConn being ever so slightly favored due to venue. That said it wouldn't shock me to see either team win by 10+ in the right circumstances (ISU or UConn foul trouble, cold/hot shooting night, etc.)

Just a note back to 2012, that was a flawed team, people had hopes preseason but after seeing about 5 games I think people capped their expectations quite a bit while dreaming it would click. Obviously Drummond was a year or so away from beasting. Napier a year away from being a leader the team needed. ISU started that game incredibly hot and Calhoun probably played Oriakhi/Drummond too long on White before switching Smith onto him. If there was a big coaching flaw with Calhoun it was his stubbornness.

Reaction Score
Only one fan base was correct each year. That happens when you make the tournament as often as we do, a problem you guys only hope to have.

This fanbase is so cute. You call us a mid major because you play in the Big 12. Yet we've been to the sweet 16 more times than you've been to the NCAA tournament.

You're like Vanderbilt Football bragging about the SEC. Except Vanderbilt at least has academics.

Please don't generalize the entire Iowa State fan base because of what one or two posters say. 99% of ISU fans recognize UConn as a perennial power in basketball. It's not even a question... Every fan base has it's trolls.

Reaction Score

And I bet you were there every year insulting those fanbases that were correct.

Reactions: pj

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This analysis is pretty solid. Niang's absence and MSG skew this game toward UConn slightly. Neither team can claim much of an edge. One shot falling or rimming out, one block, one bobbled pass or dumb mistake...that's the game.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Is it really true Iowa St has only 3 bowl wins???

caw

Reaction Score
No they aren't a three seed but are they a 5 or 6? Do they drop to a 7 or a 9? That is what remains to be seen.

If Niang was injured before the tournament. I would say they drop to a 4-5. I think it's safe to say UConn also isn't a typical 7 seed. UConns SOS was 34, ISU SOS 29. UConn was 26-8 after AACT. ISU was 26-7. The big difference was RPI where UConn was 23 and ISU was 8. UConn should probably be 5-6 seed. Again, that's why right now the game is a tossup.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Niang was injured before the tournament. I would say they drop to a 4-5. I think it's safe to say UConn also isn't a typical 7 seed. UConns SOS was 34, ISU SOS 29. UConn was 26-8 after AACT. ISU was 26-7. The big difference was RPI where UConn was 23 and ISU was 8. UConn should probably be 5-6 seed. Again, that's why right now the game is a tossup.

And realistically, at this point in the game, seeds don't matter too much. More so in the elite eight of course. Most teams are pretty good who make the sweet sixteen (with a few obvious exceptions).

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

Yeah, I don't know how you can sleep at night knowing some of our fans don't think you're as good without one of your best players as you are with him.

Almost everyone here realizes ISU is a very good team that will be very difficult to beat.

Like you guys, we believe we can win. Crazy huh? If that's disrespect then you should never have come over here to engage us.

I didn't insult any of the other fanbases, none of them were stupid enough to refer to us as a mid major. (see cyclone fanatic)

Reaction Score
Is it really true Iowa St has only 3 bowl wins???
Yes. Iowa State has been horrible in football throughout most of its life. I personally witnessed a 0-10-1 season while I was in school. We were bottom feeders in the Big 8 and then in the Big 12. We had some success under Earl Bruce in the late 70's that led to two bowl losses. Dan McCarney breathed some life into the program in the late 90's and early 2000's. Iowa State has always had to fight against schools like Nebraska, OU, KSU, CU, MU, Texas, OSU etc. Schools that have far more resources and tradition at their expense. ISU has resided at the bottom or near the bottom of the conference in regards to athletic budget and until recently football facilities have been crap. The biggest dretiment to ISU football in modern times was Hayden Fry. He took over and rebuilt Iowa at the same time Earl Bruce left ISU. Iowa is a low population state and the hokeyes sealed off the fanbase for 20+ years. It is very difficult for a state like Iowa to fund two successful football programs.

In the late 80's and early 90's the football program received very little administrative support as well. At the same time Johnny Orr built basketball to a consistent winner. He was followed by Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy. Late 90's early 2000's were ISU's best years with success in both sports. LE decided to drink with coeds and his firing led to a rushed hire of Wayne Morgan followed by Greg McDermott. Dan McCarney was pushed out because even though he had been ISU's most successful coach, he wasn't take them to the next level. We were blessed with a POS Gene Chizik.

Currently, the fanbase is very excited with Rhoads and Hoiberg. Throw in increased revenue and much improved facilities and this is a very exciting and potentially explosive time for ISU.

Reaction Score
Please don't generalize the entire Iowa State fan base because of what one or two posters say. 99% of ISU fans recognize UConn as a perennial power in basketball. It's not even a question... Every fan base has it's trolls.
I think you guys have been alright. A litte dismissive at first about Niang's injury. But you're ISU fans, if you don't think your team will win, who will?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know how you can sleep at night knowing some of our fans don't think you're as good without one of your best players as you are with him.

Almost everyone here realizes ISU is a very good team that will be very difficult to beat.

Like you guys, we believe we can win. Crazy huh? If that's disrespect then you should never have come over here to engage us.

I didn't insult any of the other fanbases, none of them were stupid enough to refer to us as a mid major. (see cyclone fanatic)
I believe some of the "mid-major" stuff posted on CF was mostly in response to some possible trolling posts by "UConn" fans... No knowledgeable basketball fan would seriously believe that UConn is a university...

Reaction Score

Well, I never referred to you as a mid major but you felt the need to insult. And in all fairness, you were in the Big East when facing the other teams and the Big East was definitely not a mid major.

I can guarantee the ISU fanbase does not view UConn as a mid major. Sarcasm is hard to get on a computer screen. I guess I thought reading comprehension would be better at a fine academic institution Like UConn. That was sarcasm if you didn't catch it. I am still trying to find where anyone has said ISU is as good without Niang. I just haven't seen that anywhere. The question is how far do they drop without Niang. In the only example we have to date....they didn't drop too far. I realize a 7 seed in UConn is better than a 6 seed than UNC. Again sarcasm. I realize that this is a completely different matchup. However, I did not take into the account the effect Jim Calhoun's National Championships will have on this game. More sarcasm. so forgive me for thinking that ISU can/will hang with UConn. It was ignant. I guess I is the moron you claimed I is. I will git back to noodling and eating little debbies.

Reaction Score
I think you guys have been alright. A litte dismissive at first about Niang's injury. But you're ISU fans, if you don't think your team will win, who will?
The loss of Niang cannot be understated. He has been a very major part in Iowa State's success this season. I wouldn't say fans have been dismissive but rather a little in denial... I stated in a previous post anytime a team needs 3 players to step and and replace 1 player's output, it's never a good thing.

Reaction Score
I can guarantee the ISU fanbase does not view UConn as a mid major.

I realize a 7 seed in UConn is better than a 6 seed than UNC.
On the first thing: forgive us, we're touchy. Imagine being better than all the other teams in your league at basketball, and just as good as most of them in football (Cincy and WVU excluded), and then suddenly all of them leaving you behind. Not a thing we joke about.

As for the second: I think UConn is better than 6 seed UNC. A lot of people, including the selection committee did not. But they also thought UMass was better than UConn, so I think they're a bunch of dopes.

Reaction Score
The loss of Niang cannot be understated. He has been a very major part in Iowa State's success this season. I wouldn't say fans have been dismissive but rather a little in denial... I stated in a previous post anytime a team needs 3 players to step and and replace 1 player's output, it's never a good thing.
Fair enough. We've been there. In 2009 we were the best team in the country, dammit, and then Jerome Dyson went down for the season. Thankfully, we were a deep enough team, and it happened early enough, that we somewhat recovered, and made the Final Four. But I still firmly beleive we win the whole thing with him.

I think, without Niang, your team's ceiling is the Elite 8. Without him, you can still beat UConn, because we don't exploit the interior. That changes when you're going against Virginia or MSU.

UConn has been inconsistent on offense enough where I don't quite know what their ceiling is yet.

Reaction Score
One guy at the CF forum was trying to tell me that UConn's #10 defense ranking is invalid because UConn is part of the AAC. I don't expect people to fully grasp how stats are put together when it's more than just a simple multiplication or division, but that just seems like denying something that you don't want to think is true.

Reaction Score
Someone came here and posted the average points per game of each team. When I pointed out that they're much closer when you adjust for pace, the only response was: you don't think teams have tried to slow down ISU?

He seemed like a nice guy, but geez, it was like talking to a wall there. Thankfully, one of the guys peers pointed out that problem too, so it's not all ISU fans.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Thing that UCONN fans are so relieved about, is that Niang is the type of player who bothers us. The unconventional Point Foward type. We aren't as concerned about the production, as much as the style of play. That does indeed help us. Will we win? Who knows.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. We've been there. In 2009 we were the best team in the country, dammit, and then Jerome Dyson went down for the season. Thankfully, we were a deep enough team, and it happened early enough, that we somewhat recovered, and made the Final Four. But I still firmly beleive we win the whole thing with him.

I think, without Niang, your team's ceiling is the Elite 8. Without him, you can still beat UConn, because we don't exploit the interior. That changes when you're going against Virginia or MSU.

UConn has been inconsistent on offense enough where I don't quite know what their ceiling is yet.

I believe this to be a very fair statement. While I believe with Niang this team would have a legitimate shot at the title, without him they will have to play their best basketball of the year and be the recipient of some poor play on the part of opposing teams to continue on. This includes the game Friday.

While I am a Cyclone fan through and through, I am able to take a step back and look at this realistically. Without Niang in the lineup, it dramatically shortens the bench and forces players who haven't been asked to make great contributions all season to do just that. If no one steps up it could be a long night tomorrow.

UConn, (while not exceptional on either defensive nor offense imo) is very solid in both aspects and is playing great ball at the right time.

Reaction Score
Someone came here and posted the average points per game of each team. When I pointed out that they're much closer when you adjust for pace, the only response was: you don't think teams have tried to slow down ISU?

He seemed like a nice guy, but geez, it was like talking to a wall there. Thankfully, one of the guys peers pointed out that problem too, so it's not all ISU fans.

It's as simple as "someone posts a statistic that favors their team, I'll post one that favors my team or a statement that presumably negates their stat":D

Reaction Score
One guy at the CF forum was trying to tell me that UConn's #10 defense ranking is invalid because UConn is part of the AAC. I don't expect people to fully grasp how stats are put together when it's more than just a simple multiplication or division, but that just seems like denying something that you don't want to think is true.
I think pace of play is going to be huge. ISU can play slow down ball but that is where they will miss Niang the most. Does ISU's defensive rebounding and UConn's lower shooting % (relative to ISU) help ISU get running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom