Let's assume everybody comes back next year | The Boneyard

Let's assume everybody comes back next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's further assume JC returns, and UConn is allowed in the 2013 tourney. Does it help this team much? I don't know the answer to that question. I don't know if this team would benefit from some subtraction, either. (not Lamb or Drummond)
With Omar coming in we should benefit with additional height in the backcourt. Nappier & Boatright can hurt this team, at times, by being so small.
We saw, last night, what a true leader (Royce White) can mean to a team. Can anyone on this roster develope to be like him. Is there a Kemba within any of these guys. Perhaps with Nappier.
Daniels, Roscoe, Lamb, and Olander need to get much stronger. I doubt we'll ever benefit from Wolf or Bradley (I hope I'm wrong) and AO is just a huge mystery. Who ever knows which AO will show up.
From what this team has shown this year. I just don't think it's only inexperience. After all, the current sophs went through an 11 game experience last season that should have benefitted them greatly for this season. It didn't, and I don't know what to make of next years team assuming it stays intact. (which is doubtful)

caw

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but if UConn can go 4 deep at the guard position next year, that alone will help a lot. If UConn likes/wants to run a 3 guard offense they need a fourth guard to be able to spell them.

Over the summer, Lamb, Napier, Daniels and Roscoe need to get stronger.

Drummond needs to work on fundamentals for a big man.

Boatright needs to stay eligible, he really has the whole package (shame he's so small).

Oriakhi needs to figure out why he has regressed without blaming others.

Giffey needs to work on his release speed and play at a faster speed.

Olander needs to continue to get stronger and work on his jumper.

Reaction Score
Is this a serious question? Would it help if the entire team came back?

Did it help that the entire 2008 team (which also lost in the first round) came back in 2009?

Reaction Score

Did it help that the entire 2008 team (which also lost in the first round) came back in 2009?
Well, you answered my question with another question.

Reaction Score
If Drummond comes back, can we send him to a big man camp?

How about two?

How about he spends the whole summer in some big man camp or another, even if we have to invent them.

If/when this kid gets it, it will be scary. I hope it happens here.

caw

Reaction Score
Napier and Boatright is going to be interesting. They both are so different but both very good at what they do. At the same time they are both too small to play together as much as UConn did this year.

Napier had some ups and downs but I think he had a better sophomore campaign than any starting PG since El-Amin. Though that's really only Taliek/Williams/AJ and Kemba and Williams is debatable.

Boatright is really a good player. Needs to stay on his man off the ball but he does almost everything as well as a freshman can.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

i think his point is related to ceilings and chemistry. of course you expect kids to improve. but how much will they? other than Lamb and Napier (and 9 on 4-14 shooting from Boat), no one really scored. and we got out rebounded by 19. of course i'm betting everyone improves. players get stronger over the summer. players work on their games. this team was projected in the top 5 to start the year. it's pretty clear that was wishful thinking.

so how much better are they really capable of getting? i'd like to think a lot but it's a fair question, especially since AO regressed from last year and aside from a few games, Smith was no better (at least offensively. defensively he was pretty solid).

Reaction Score

How about two?

How about he spends the whole summer in some big man camp or another, even if we have to invent them.

I'd offer to help pony up funds for those camps but they're in enough trouble lately. But, man, you can see what the hype's about in those flashes. If it can be brought out consistently, with those guards...oh lordy. I'll be putting he flag back out in front of the house. Neighbors made me take it down this morning. they'd officially had enough of having to look at it.

Reaction Score
If the entire team comes back I think we can be dominant. And the biggest improvement I would expect is not just in the individuals improving skills, strength, shooting, etc., but that the team improves collectively.
This group never played well together. There was never a consistent rotation; no one seemed to know where to be on defense, or what they were supposd to do on offense.
But with the maturity, and the extra practice and the the familiarity with each other (on and off the court) and with Calhoun and his system they will be really good.
I said all year that this team will get it, either this year or next year. I'm looking foward to the fall and the start of practice.

Reaction Score

How about two?

weight room, he gets pushed around inside

Reaction Score
This team needs to work the most on their confidence and mental focus. That was the key factor missing all season. They all didn't suddenly forget how to play basketball over the summer last year, they lost their confidence in their own abilities, and were forcing it all season, which was painfully obvious to see.

H

huskymagic

Napier and Boatright is going to be interesting. They both are so different but both very good at what they do. At the same time they are both too small to play together as much as UConn did this year.

Napier had some ups and downs but I think he had a better sophomore campaign than any starting PG since El-Amin. Though that's really only Taliek/Williams/AJ and Kemba and Williams is debatable.

Boatright is really a good player. Needs to stay on his man off the ball but he does almost everything as well as a freshman can.

very good observation caw and something that hurt us alot this year. The height advantage that alot of guys are posting about us over Iowa State is a little misguided. Sure they had nobody over 6'8 royce white but they had a bunch of guys between 6-4 and 6-7. We had an inept DeAndre Drummond who had no impact on the game and was just a body out there filling up court space. Then we had a 6 foot guard and a 5'10 guard in the backcourt which hurt us on defense but also on offense especially Boat at times. Lamb was defended by a guy just as big but stronger physically. If Lamb wants to be a great player he needs to wok on conditioning and agility. He is moving way to slow and lackadaicial to be the kind of player he can really be. he is at least a step behind on curls or set plays than either ray allen or rip hamilton ever were at UCONN.

Reaction Score
If Lamb comes back, it means he recognizes that he actually needs to improve and show more. I'm not certain he saw it that way this year.

Drummond will get intensive remediation between now and then. Boatright will be a better shooter and stronger. sam for Bazz. Alex will be in "Now or Neverland".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom