Lethargy: Enemy of the Good | The Boneyard

Lethargy: Enemy of the Good

Reaction Score
upload_2017-1-17_9-9-52.png

The ND-Tennessee duet last night was a pretty relaxed affair—until the very end when the Vols decided not to be the first Orange folk to lose 3 in a row since 1983. After watching the frenetic pace at which our Huskies play, this game was a study in pantomime. Neither team had an ounce of energy or any players capable of generating same. I said before the season that the greatest loss to the Irish was the departure of Madison Cable, a UConn prototype: tough, constantly moving, diving, shooting. This year there is no replacement for her; ND is a study in complacency. With the exception of Marina Mabrey (a throw-back to McBride and Novocel), the Irish are pretty listless. Their best players, Allen and Turner, have all the affect of Buster Keaton. They are too timid. Ogunbowale plays in a bubble like the Diamond of TN. They don't share. No point in elaborating the deficiencies of the Vols because they start at the top and filter down.

Gabby Williams in her wisdom has said more than once “You don't waste time on the court; every minute counts and needs to be positive.” That's what she thinks and how she plays. It's how the whole UConn team plays, and it's why they win. The successful injection of that idea is what separates Geno from the rest.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wo wo wo... I agree with everything your saying but Marina Mabrey is not even a throw back to her sister much less a throw-back to KMac or Novocel. I don't know how ND got here ( having to coach effort) & I have been critical of Cable- but since Cable was a Freshmen maximum effort on both ends of the floor was guaranteed. Besides missing Cable and elder Mabrey I'm beginning to suspect that the departure of Taya Reimer may have also fracture this team beyond repair.

Reaction Score
View attachment 18741

The ND-Tennessee duet last night was a pretty relaxed affair—until the very end when the Vols decided not to be the first Orange folk to lose 3 in a row since 1983. After watching the frenetic pace at which our Huskies play, this game was a study in pantomime. Neither team had an ounce of energy or any players capable of generating same. I said before the season that the greatest loss to the Irish was the departure of Madison Cable, a UConn prototype: tough, constantly moving, diving, shooting. This year there is no replacement for her; ND is a study in complacency. With the exception of Marina Mabrey (a throw-back to McBride and Novocel), the Irish are pretty listless. Their best players, Allen and Turner, have all the affect of Buster Keaton. They are too timid. Ogunbowale plays in a bubble like the Diamond of TN. They don't share. No point in elaborating the deficiencies of the Vols because they start at the top and filter down.

Gabby Williams in her wisdom has said more than once “You don't waste time on the court; every minute counts and needs to be positive.” That's what she thinks and how she plays. It's how the whole UConn team plays, and it's why they win. The successful injection of that idea is what separates Geno from the rest.

Pantomime---BusterKeaton--cute, really cute!! Did a house fall on ND too?? Comparing Marina to McBride and Novocel was a bit much but probably closer to the truth than I have seen. McBride and Novocel (along with Mallory) were players
I dislike Uconn playing against--very very hard playing and excellent scorers. Yet, as you point out, I'd still rather Gabby on a Uconn team than any of those 4.
I enjoy reading this posting--thanks. You are 110 percent correct on Madison Cable just fun to watch (even for this Uconn fan)

Reaction Score
Wo wo wo... I agree with everything your saying but Marina Mabrey is not even a throw back to her sister much less a throw-back to KMac or Novocel. I don't know how ND got here ( having to coach effort) & I have been critical of Cable- but since Cable was a Freshmen maximum effort on both ends of the floor was guaranteed. Besides missing Cable and elder Mabrey I'm beginning to suspect that the departure of Taya Reimer may have also fracture this team beyond repair.
I (almost) Always agree with your postings--but I beg to be allowed to differ--Baby Mabrey may not be as tough physically, but she is tough minded. Madison (I like that name) Cable--too was both mentally and physically tough--until her senior and extra year she wasn't much of a scoring threat--but fun to watch and remember she was the reason ND beat USC to advance in the tourney. One more departure from your excellence if i may---Reimer's departure sudden and a bit destructive to ND's plans--if it had an impact--would have last a semester, may a season--but not 2. Turner if she played as she must would have made the team and coach forget Reimer a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Madison Cable was a PITA. She could sit for the first 15 minutes of the half and then come in cold and start knocking down 3s like it was her job (which of course it was).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One more departure from your excellence if i may---Reimer's departure sudden and a bit destructive to ND's plans--if it had an impact--would have last a semester, may a season--but not 2. Turner if she played as she must would have made the team and coach forget Reimer a long time ago.
Reimer departed from the team twice. During her first brief departure ND lost a game to Miami-two years ago. . Taya returned and actually played in 5 games for ND during the 2015-16 season-last season. On the Existing ND roster only 2 players Young & Boley were NOT teammates of Reimer's. ND played Taya's new team MSU just a few weeks ago and the tweets following the game was an indication of a still existing fracture. Taya's mother tweed names of some ND players that were "true" friends the implication being some player were not. Regarding "If turner played.." , I disagree. The two players were good playing together and very complementary, with Turner being a more mobile post and Taya being a pick and pop low post presence. With Reimer gone Turner has been relegated to being a single low post presence because Westbeld just does not cut it down there.

Reaction Score
Reimer departed from the team twice. During her first brief departure ND lost a game to Miami-two years ago. . Taya returned and actually played in 5 games for ND during the 2015-16 season-last season. On the Existing ND roster only 2 players Young & Boley were NOT teammates of Reimer's. ND played Taya's new team MSU just a few weeks ago and the tweets following the game was an indication of a still existing fracture. Taya's mother tweed names of some ND players that were "true" friends the implication being some player were not. Regarding "If turner played.." , I disagree. The two players were good playing together and very complementary, with Turner being a more mobile post and Taya being a pick and pop low post presence. With Reimer gone Turner has been relegated to being a single low post presence because Westbeld just does not cut it down there.

On Reimers departure (second time) -do you think most teams, and especially Uconn would go into a second season losing funk over JUST the departure of a top player/? I agree Reimer was a complementary player--ND worked the Hi/lo well with her. Westbled has had her moment--and not consistent--I agree. But Turner with her size, mobility, with the remaining talent at ND she should more of a defensive/offensive force than she is.
With Your posting above--you now know why I rarely disagree with your--Thanks for the discussion!!!!
KJ Johnson, a kid I really liked, had issues with team members--saw her at Gampel sitting alone--terrible
Muffet should have addressed the issues , maybe she did, but it didn't work --second departure!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On Reimers departure (second time) -do you think most teams, and especially Uconn would go into a second season losing funk over JUST the departure of a top player/?
Again, this is not the second season since Reimer's departure from ND, it the first. Reimer walked away form 9 (of 11) teammates that are on the existing ND roster. Depending on the team dynamic yes I do think a team could go into a funk with the departure of a key player. Nebraska certainly did. UCONN is not most teams, the departure of multiple McDonalds AA Sadie & D'Janae) from UCONN hardly causes a ripple.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Broadway and Coco - I think the on again/off again nature of Reimer's last two years is likely an indication of something inside the locker room that is other than a 'funk' - this is a team captain who for whatever reason cannot go on playing with the team. Obviously it represents personal issue that are exclusive to Reimer - no one else left, no indications of complaints to the admin, etc. but also unable to find the needed support structure within her teammates and coaches to get past it. And it really is two years - Reimer left the team after playing 5 games last year so last year really is year one.

I do not think it is the reason that this year seems such a struggle, but it certainly isn't helping. Chemistry within any group is quite delicate - which is why in another thread I brought up Lawlor's departure at the end of this year as potentially important, not from a floor production standpoint, but from a chemistry standpoint. Her example of selfless commitment and effort really might be important, you just never know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom