Let the Carousel begin! | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
I keep seeing Walz's name but I'm wondering if he might be on a slightly warm seat? What kind of recruits does he have coming in?
He's got some good recruits coming in, including Mackenly Randolph and Izalea (sic?) Arenas, who are considered to be high level 2024 prospects. Currently in the running for Imani Berry too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
He's got some good recruits coming in, including Mackenly Randolph and Izalea (sic?) Arenas, who are considered to be high level 2024 prospects. Currently in the running for Imani Berry too.
Walzie does have a good incoming class: if memory holds, Arenas and Randolph are high school classmates (and share being daughters of former NBA players). The Berry decision will be interesting, no? ;)

Reaction Score
Walzie does have a good incoming class: if memory holds, Arenas and Randolph are high school classmates (and share being daughters of former NBA players). The Berry decision will be interesting, no? ;)
Re the Berry decision, very with it being an in-state battle with Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Meet the team. She literally meets 3 ppl. jk. But she is going to have to build the roster. Kenny Brooks may have gutted it.

I wonder if there’s going to be a breaking point by fan bases regarding the complete lack of continuity in all of college sports.

As Tom Herman put it, “We're gonna start this professional league, we're gonna have [a roster] on each team and they're gonna be on six-month contracts with a player option after every six months so they get to stick around if they want, but they can leave if they want, and you don't get compensated.”

The money “have’s” are going to outbid the money “have nots”.

The universities started pimping out their brand awhile ago and now it’s totally out of control.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing Walz's name but I'm wondering if he might be on a slightly warm seat? What kind of recruits does he have coming in?
Walz's seat is not the least bit warm. Sure , there are always posts from a few irrational fans who are in the "since he doesn't have a NC he's a failure" camp, but that's the exception.

Everyone here in Louisville is talking about Arenas and Randolph. But Tajianna Roberts (ESPNW #25) got 24 points and 5 steals yesterday in IMG Academy's 76-68 win over Grace Academy (Sarah Strong's team). Looks like she has a complete game - good shooter, gets to the rim and defends. Has enough size.

BTW - no surprise, but Strong really impressed. Looks like she has a pro-ready body already.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there’s going to be a breaking point by fan bases regarding the complete lack of continuity in all of college sports.

As Tom Herman put it, “We're gonna start this professional league, we're gonna have [a roster] on each team and they're gonna be on six-month contracts with a player option after every six months so they get to stick around if they want, but they can leave if they want, and you don't get compensated.”

The money “have’s” are going to outbid the money “have nots”.

The universities started pimping out their brand awhile ago and now it’s totally out of control.
Define "awhile ago". Haven't universities been doing this for decades? For example Miami football with their "The U" mantra. At least that's how it's seems to me.

Reaction Score
Define "awhile ago". Haven't universities been doing this for decades? For example Miami football with their "The U" mantra. At least that's how it's seems to me.
I was talking more about shoe companies. If you watch the Duffy video, at the end you’ll see the Nike logo right next to the Va Tech one. Everybody does it.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Walz's seat is not the least bit warm. Sure , there are always posts from a few irrational fans who are in the "since he doesn't have a NC he's a failure" camp, but that's the exception.

Everyone here in Louisville is talking about Arenas and Randolph. But Tajianna Roberts (ESPNW #25) got 24 points and 5 steals yesterday in IMG Academy's 76-68 win over Grace Academy (Sarah Strong's team). Looks like she has a complete game - good shooter, gets to the rim and defends. Has enough size.

BTW - no surprise, but Strong really impressed. Looks like she has a pro-ready body already.
That was my takeaway from watching the McDonald's game. She's ready to roll....

Reaction Score
I was talking more about shoe companies. If you watch the Duffy video, at the end you’ll see the Nike logo right next to the Va Tech one. Everybody does it.
Yes, but it seems like branding has been a thing for decades, not within the last few years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Hey @Rooster C. I know you seem a bit down on this pick as it doesn't seem like an "up and comer" type but remember back in 2013 that NC State fired Kelly Harper and hired 55 year old Wes Moore who has been nothing short of remarkable. I am not saying that Tricia could replicate what Wes has done but I do think she has earned her stripes and in an about-face, I am looking forward to seeing how she does (I detested Meier and the "U") but I have been watching Toledo the past few years and can only smile. At least it wasn't Kieger.

I have to think some more changes are coming but given the portal situation, I think that has to happen over the next week or so.

Which leads me to Triad-are you at all nervous that Lawson could leave for VolNation? Given that the Tennessee LV job is still considered an elite position and with the PAC 12 implosion, I think there could be a domino effect depending who gets that job and where they are from.

As we saw when Andy Enfield left USC (headed to the Big 10) for SMU (headed to the ACC) and then Eric Musselman leaving Arkansas for USC, I am curious if SMU will do something similar for the Women. Toyelle Wilson just finished year 3 but has been underwhelming. with an 11th place finish and 14-16, 5th place in 2022-23 and 17-13 and 5th place in 2021-22 with 14-15 for an overall record of 45-44. Tim Jankovich was fired after 6 seasons at SMU with 125-64 record which is pretty good so it seems a bit disingenuous to me but hey, what do I know-nothing.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hey @Rooster C. I know you seem a bit down on this pick as it doesn't seem like an "up and comer" type but remember back in 2013 that NC State fired Kelly Harper and hired 55 year old Wes Moore who has been nothing short of remarkable. I am not saying that Tricia could replicate what Wes has done but I do think she has earned her stripes and in an about-face, I am looking forward to seeing how she does (I detested Meier and the "U") but I have been watching Toledo the past few years and can only smile. At least it wasn't Kieger.

I have to think some more changes are coming but given the portal situation, I think that has to happen over the next week or so.
@Rooster C.

Surprise, surprise, but I'm in complete agreement with my erstwhile colleague, @DefenseBB, on this one.
I'd also been thinking of Wes Moore, a guy who had worked his way up the ranks and got his big shot in the 50's

As for the mid-majors, wasn't it you who thought Miami's safest bet might be to to the mid-major route for a few years and see how it works out? And Cullop has had that team firing for years, with a combination of lesser-known recruits and international finds. Before giving Michigan fits the last two times, she played the 20218-19 Irish squad -- which sent four starters to the WNBA -- very tough in a home-and-home.

As for Dan Radakovich, the Miami AD, the man has a solid reputation around the ACC, having worked at Georgia Tech, Clemson and, now, Miami. I think he has a grad degree from the U. While his big claim to fame at Clemson is tied to the football team, he's taken some of that money and put it into upgrading the basketball facilities and starting a women's lax program before he left to Miami, so he cares about women's program. He just fired a mediocre women's soccer coach and brought an up and coming assistant in.

I've got to think this is the right move at this time. I'll take your advice to give Tricia a few years....:cool:;)

Reaction Score
Thanks for trying to talk me down off the ledge my friend.
I hope you're right but I doubt it. Wes Moore had won 76% of his games (still is lol) at his previous hc locations - not 63% . Comparing apples-to-apples (kinda):

Wes Moore/Chattanooga: vs Tricia Cullop/Toledo
15 seasons: 358-113(76%) 16 seasons:353-169(67%)
Finished 1st 12 seasons Finished 1st 7* seasons
NCAA tourney 9 times NCAA tourney 2 times

Moore had 13 20+ win seasons and Cullop had 9. Al of this compares favorably(in general) but Cullop had 4 really good seasons early on and now has added 3 more here atthe end. In between was a lot of mediocrity.
I will give her every chance as she seems to be a "winning" coach and from all I've read is a person of high integrity (that counts for a lot with me).
And.........at least it's not Kieger

Reaction Score
As for the mid-majors, wasn't it you who thought Miami's safest bet might be to to the mid-major route for a few years and see how it works out? And Cullop has had that team firing for years, with a combination of lesser-known recruits and international finds. Before giving Michigan fits the last two times, she played the 20218-19 Irish squad -- which sent four starters to the WNBA -- very tough in a home-and-home.

As for Dan Radakovich, the Miami AD, the man has a solid reputation around the ACC, having worked at Georgia Tech, Clemson and, now, Miami. I think he has a grad degree from the U. While his big claim to fame at Clemson is tied to the football team, he's taken some of that money and put it into upgrading the basketball facilities and starting a women's lax program before he left to Miami, so he cares about women's program. He just fired a mediocre women's soccer coach and brought an up and coming assistant in.

I've got to think this is the right move at this time. I'll take your advice to give Tricia a few years....:cool:;)
I did not suggest a mid-majors coach for a year or two but said they should give the current assistant coach a year or two so close but no cigar for you lol.
As for those great ND teams you mentioned they were notorious for building double-digit leads in the first half and then skating along in the second half to easy victories. She was able to give Michigan fits the last two years but Michigan has been a VERY erratic team. She also lost badly to Duke over the last two years and this year lost by 20 to Gonzaga(a very good team), by 10 to Cincinnati(a mediocre team), and beat SMU(a terrible team)by 1 point. Is there potential to succeed at this level for Cullop? Absolutely. Is there potential to fail spectacularly ? Absolutely. I am skeptical but not w/o hope.

As for the AD you may be right. You may be wrong and like most ADs he want to fill the ranks with "his" people. So everybody has to go. I always felt something was "amiss" with Meier's sudden decision to "retire". So either he wants to upgrade every coaching position (as he sees it) and is very results oriented or he just wants total control over the athletics department regardless of success. We shall see. I for one hope your assessment is correct.

Reaction Score
Vol board saying that Walz was NOT contacted.
So Walz and Lawson out and Rueck and Gottlieb highly unlikely.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with the Marshall coach, though that’d be very underwhelming.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thanks for trying to talk me down off the ledge my friend.
I hope you're right but I doubt it. Wes Moore had won 76% of his games (still is lol) at his previous hc locations - not 63% . Comparing apples-to-apples (kinda):

Wes Moore/Chattanooga: vs Tricia Cullop/Toledo
15 seasons: 358-113(76%) 16 seasons:353-169(67%)
Finished 1st 12 seasons Finished 1st 7* seasons
NCAA tourney 9 times NCAA tourney 2 times

Moore had 13 20+ win seasons and Cullop had 9. Al of this compares favorably(in general) but Cullop had 4 really good seasons early on and now has added 3 more here atthe end. In between was a lot of mediocrity.
I will give her every chance as she seems to be a "winning" coach and from all I've read is a person of high integrity (that counts for a lot with me).
And.........at least it's not Kieger
There is a bit of apples to oranges aspect, though. Toledo is in the MAC, which from time to time (a while ago) even snuck a 2nd team into the tourney. They are a decent mid-major, and often quite competitive within conference (perhaps the teams are well balanced?). They also have divisions (East? West?)

Wes was in the SoCon which I think was a bit of a lesser conference, but he dominated it. Rutgers played (and lost) to him in the first round of the NCAA's, at Chattanooga, back in the day. Hence, more NCAA appearances. We were there. To be remembered - he was also an Assistant for Kay Yow a couple years at NC State.

I am NOT saying she is the next Wes Moore, only that she has some chance of success. I would think a decent hire for sure.

Reaction Score

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with the Marshall coach, though that’d be very underwhelming.
Oh man...... To be a fly on the wall when the team conducting this search are discussing candidates.

Reaction Score

I'm thinking that Lisa Fortier and Jennie Baranczyk have to be the targets. If their AD is seriously considering JR Payne or Kim Stephens for THAT job, then whew! :oops:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that Lisa Fortier and Jennie Baranczyk have to be the targets. If their AD is seriously considering JR Payne or Kim Stephens for THAT job, then whew! :oops:
Fortier was my hope 5 years ago when they went with Harper. 8 conference titles in the last 10 years and 2 Sweet 16s for a mid major. Her programs consistently plays efficient high quality basketball. She was a more enticing hire than Kellie IMO, but Kellie took her team to a Cinderella Sweet 16 and capitalized on it. Baranczyk would be a great option too, she's done well at OU.

Payne wouldn't be a bad pick either IMO, she's done well everywhere she's been and has revamped Colorado. She's also from Tennessee according to Wikipedia. Stephens/Caldwell doesn't have enough experience, though Marshall had a great run. Just hope they don't strike out and take an underwhelming hire.

Reaction Score
Fortier was my hope 5 years ago when they went with Harper. 8 conference titles in the last 10 years and 2 Sweet 16s for a mid major. Her programs consistently plays efficient high quality basketball. She was a more enticing hire than Kellie IMO, but Kellie took her team to a Cinderella Sweet 16 and capitalized on it. Baranczyk would be a great option too, she's done well at OU.

Payne wouldn't be a bad pick either IMO, she's done well everywhere she's been and has revamped Colorado. She's also from Tennessee according to Wikipedia. Stephens/Caldwell doesn't have enough experience, though Marshall had a great run. Just hope they don't strike out and take an underwhelming hire.
Payne wouldn't be a bad pick for many P5 jobs, but she'd be a terrible pick for Tennessee. She's done well to revamp Colorado, but the lack of conference titles and no NCAAT trips beyond the Sweet 16 sounds an awful lot like Kellie (yes, I'm aware that the Buffs had to face Iowa both times, but without a midseason slump this year they would've faced someone less daunting). She's also the same age as Kellie while the two should-be frontrunners are a little bit younger.

It feels like they should be able to nail this hire, but we'll see.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I did not suggest a mid-majors coach for a year or two but said they should give the current assistant coach a year or two so close but no cigar for you lol.
As for those great ND teams you mentioned they were notorious for building double-digit leads in the first half and then skating along in the second half to easy victories. She was able to give Michigan fits the last two years but Michigan has been a VERY erratic team. She also lost badly to Duke over the last two years and this year lost by 20 to Gonzaga(a very good team), by 10 to Cincinnati(a mediocre team), and beat SMU(a terrible team)by 1 point. Is there potential to succeed at this level for Cullop? Absolutely. Is there potential to fail spectacularly ? Absolutely. I am skeptical but not w/o hope.

As for the AD you may be right. You may be wrong and like most ADs he want to fill the ranks with "his" people. So everybody has to go. I always felt something was "amiss" with Meier's sudden decision to "retire". So either he wants to upgrade every coaching position (as he sees it) and is very results oriented or he just wants total control over the athletics department regardless of success. We shall see. I for one hope your assessment is correct.
When I was asked by some posters on the Bench last year about mid-major coaches from the Midwest I thought would be good for openings at Michigan State and Pittsburgh, the first two names I submitted were Robyn Fralick, if you wanted to go up and coming, or Tricia Cullop, who has years of sustained top-notch work. Fralick had a good first year at MSU. Now Cullop will get her chance in the ACC. Change is interesting..and tough sometimes. There were a lot of questions surrounding Niele when she came aboard and had a tough first two years, but has come along well... Keep your Hurricane faith and good luck!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Payne wouldn't be a bad pick for many P5 jobs, but she'd be a terrible pick for Tennessee. She's done well to revamp Colorado, but the lack of conference titles and no NCAAT trips beyond the Sweet 16 sounds an awful lot like Kellie (yes, I'm aware that the Buffs had to face Iowa both times, but without a midseason slump this year they would've faced someone less daunting). She's also the same age as Kellie while the two should-be frontrunners are a little bit younger.

It feels like they should be able to nail this hire, but we'll see.

The list of realistic candidates with any Elite 8's on their resume' is probably zilch (other than Frese). Not even Lawson has that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom