Let the Carousel begin! | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
One name I’d watch for Tennessee: Winston Gandy. SC AC. He is a star in the making
He may be a star in the making, but he isn't going to be in these conversations for a while.

No offense to Winston (who I like because of where he's coached at his last two stops), but his resume is waaaaaaaaaaaay too thin for the average HC opening, let alone the one at Tennessee. Compare what he's done so far to someone like Wesley Brooks (WVU grad in 2004), who was just hired by Utah State and is about a decade older than Winston (who is 33--graduated from Mayland in 2013). There's no comparison. Winston is years away from getting into these discussions. He'd better soak up what he can from Coach Dawn Staley while he can.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Missouri has a new AD who started this season and Pingeton has one year left. Could be a matter of the AD is trying to get up to speed here.
Better go get that cognitive test done, the Missouri AD left in February to take over the Arizona job so no one is at the Mizzou helm at the moment.

I get all the concern over Hillsman (and yes, it is warranted) but also in our own back year is Connie Yori who is on staff at Creighton so there seems to a lot of sweeping under the rug.....

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
They truly have no shame to hire this guy and Beard in a relatively short time span.
The situations are different. Didn't Beard's girlfriend later retract her statement, after he had already been let go from Texas?

Hillsman was just guilty, guilty, guilty about all the revelations regarding his beavior toward the young women playing for Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Better go get that cognitive test done, the Missouri AD left in February to take over the Arizona job so no one is at the Mizzou helm at the moment.

I get all the concern over Hillsman (and yes, it is warranted) but also in our own back year is Connie Yori who is on staff at Creighton so there seems to a lot of sweeping under the rug.....
1). Thanks for the clarification. With all the comings and goings of the NCAA, keeping track isn't easy but a cognitive test recommendation isn't required.

2). Regarding "our own backyard" means, you're assuming I'm a full on UConn fan here, which is incorrect. No clue as to what you're referring to with respect to Yori.

3). I do agree that more scrutiny of coaches is required throughout the NCAA. The lawsuit against Nebraska, yet Coach Williams gets an extension. The coach from Northern Kentucky on suspension while they investigate complaints, again, after a previous review was "inconclusive" and they kept her on. The rumours about the previous coach at Florida before he stepped down. There probably are many more that aren't coming to light when they should be.

Reaction Score
The situations are different. Didn't Beard's girlfriend later retract her statement, after he had already been let go from Texas?

Hillsman was just guilty, guilty, guilty about all the revelations regarding his beavior toward the young women playing for Syracuse.
Yes this one is worse, didn’t they hire Beard almost immediately after Texas let him go though? Or is my timeline all messed up?

Reaction Score

I have extreme disdain for Beard (and I'm nervous that he's about to become the MBB coach at my former employer, which makes me very sad and angry). But I think the situations are different.

Victims of domestic violence often recant when it becomes clear that the person who hurt them may suffer significant harm from the report -- like losing a multi-million dollar job. A recantation and lack of charges filed doesn't change the fact that the (indefensible) behavior occurred - there are photos and cops observed her injuries. Legal charges are dependent on so many factors that they shouldn't be used as a standard of proof or exoneration outside a court. Beard is not someone to be admired or to lead a program for young men, in my opinion.

That said, Beard's transgressions occurred in his role as a boyfriend, while he was the MBB coach at Texas. His misbehavior was not directed at his players. He's still a woman beater that I don't think should be a college basketball coach without evidence of some serious work on himself, but I'm not aware of evidence he is/was a player abuser. (If there is evidence, please correct me.)

Hillsman's misbehavior was directed at his own athletes - those he recruited and promised parents he would take care of and help navigate the transition to adulthood. To hire him into a similar position when there has been no (afaik?) admission of wrongdoing, apology, or work on himself is - in my opinion - even worse than hiring Beard. Hillsman has a higher bar to clear, imo, before deserving any athletic program's trust.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Hillsman was just guilty, guilty, guilty about all the revelations regarding his behavior toward the young women playing for Syracuse.

No, it was shortly after he was arrested; after she realized that she was gonna cost herself part of his $5 million annual salary. He wasn't fired until a month later after Texas did its due diligence.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So Ole Miss isn't concerned about the PR of this? Quentin Hillsman left with a pretty tarnished image at CUSE. Maybe they figure enough time has passed?
No that is a bad hire.

Reaction Score
"Standard vetting procedure"....sure.

Just come out and say "We never believed the accusations in the first place.", because that's exactly what this move is saying.
His resignation kept him from being fired.

Reaction Score
His resignation kept him from being fired.
Yes, but the investigation completed highlighted concerns in his conduct and choice of staff hires. Syracuse's statement after the investigation was public knowledge.

Reaction Score
So Miami is replacing Meier (56) with a coach who is 52. Yes, she has had a good winning pctg (63% overall) and her last 3 years at Toledo have been very good. However, in 30 years of coaching not ONE of them (as an asst. or hc) has been in a P5 conference. WNIT champs (but in 2011) and prior to the last 3 seasons (helped by covid 5th year players) was 12-12 (9th) and 14-17 (T 5th).

If Miami was really interested in taking this program to the next level I don't see it here. Nothing against the coach but spending the last 16 years at Toledo and no big job offers before this? I don't think the new administration is serious about wbb.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I keep seeing Walz's name but I'm wondering if he might be on a slightly warm seat? What kind of recruits does he have coming in?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom