Let the Carousel begin! | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I really thought she would get one more year, even thought I didn't see them improving and things would possibly be much worse. She wasn't a terrible hire overall but has shown a limited ceiling she won't be able to overcome. After two P5 jobs, I'd say she won't snif a major one again.

Like Warlick, Harper seems like a good person who cared about the program and her players but was unable to produce at the level expected by the fan base and department. That being said, UT better have a big name lined up already or they may wind up on the outside looking in for coaches and players.
(crossposting from the UConn WBB board, which has a thread devoted to this):

+1. I was never sold on KJH as a second coming of Pat, but I also think the program needs to adjust its expectations - consistent 20-win seasons + multiple Sweet Sixteens is pretty solid, especially now that she's in conference with Dawn, Kim, et al. And I think with the right assistant coaches, KJH could have kept the program as a top 10 contender. It'll be really interesting to see who they get, because I'm having a hard time envisioning who's available, interested, and would be fairly certain to do significantly better than her record over five seasons, other than Kara. - whose interest and availability is unknown.

Reaction Score
The thing is: who are they going to get? A splashy hire seems hard, bc I dont see any obvious splashy candidates.

A male seems highly unlikely, which knocks out Schaefer, Wes M, Walz, McGuff, Rueck. (I think most of those would be tough to lure anyway.)

Staley, Mulkey, Ivey - no way
Lawson seems unlikely

Other promising coaches: Ralph, Barancyzk, Payne, Ethridge, Fortier? Not sure any are splashy.

Reaction Score
Would the Oregon State coach leave and go there? I don't really know anything about him
He's got a lot of local ties, so I'm skeptical. Plus they have a great team lined up for next year.
And I can't see the Vols hiring a man.

Reaction Score
I think Mark Campbell would be a great hire for the Vols. Don't see it happening though

Reaction Score
The two splashiest coaching names in WBB right now are Dawn Staley and Becky Hammon. We'll have to see how this all plays out.

The LV fans seem united on not wanting Kara Lawson. They believe that they can do better. If she were able to bring elite recruits with her, then I'm not so sure they'd be right about that sentiment.

Reaction Score
(crossposting from the UConn WBB board, which has a thread devoted to this):

+1. I was never sold on KJH as a second coming of Pat, but I also think the program needs to adjust its expectations - consistent 20-win seasons + multiple Sweet Sixteens is pretty solid, especially now that she's in conference with Dawn, Kim, et al. And I think with the right assistant coaches, KJH could have kept the program as a top 10 contender. It'll be really interesting to see who they get, because I'm having a hard time envisioning who's available, interested, and would be fairly certain to do significantly better than her record over five seasons, other than Kara. - whose interest and availability is unknown.

I think the 1.1 seconds was the nail. If Tennessee had won, this wouldn't have happened.

Reaction Score
Vol fans seem generally pleased with the decision. Or more, "love her, but had to happen."

Not coalescing around any candidate though. And that there are few big-time hires out there.

Hammon has been mentioned which is one I hadn't thought about.

Gottlieb as well, and I cant see a Brown/Cal/USC person ending up in the South.

Reaction Score
Vol fans seem generally pleased with the decision. Or more, "love her, but had to happen."

Not coalescing around any candidate though. And that there are few big-time hires out there.

Hammon has been mentioned which is one I hadn't thought about.

Gottlieb as well, and I cant see a Brown/Cal/USC person ending up in the South.
Nor can I see Gottleib leaving with the roster she has coming in to play with Watkins next season. Man that would be an insane shock to the NCAAW landscape.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Kara will stay put. No reason to worry.

Mad-Magazine-Alfred-Neuman-what-me-worry.gif

Not worried about TN

I'm more worried whether or not I can finish these corn fritters for lunch. :oops:

Reaction Score
A male seems highly unlikely, which knocks out Schaefer, Wes M, Walz, McGuff, Rueck. (I think most of those would be tough to lure anyway.)

Staley, Mulkey, Ivey - no way
Lawson seems unlikely

Other promising coaches: Ralph, Barancyzk, Payne, Ethridge, Fortier? Not sure any are splashy.
I think hiring Shea at UT would make their fan’s heads explode ( Go Uconn)! Candace Parker? Celebrity hires are or have been in for some years. The Vols will pay well! I also don’t think they will hire a male coach but desperate times maybe.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Kara will stay put. No reason to worry.
I'm curious to see what she does. She is definitely building a solid program at Duke...but this Tennessee vacancy is a special circumstance she might not be able to let go. Or, she could continue to coach at Duke and wait for the next time that position opens up.

Reaction Score
I think hiring Shea at UT would make their fan’s heads explode ( Go Uconn)! Candace Parker? Celebrity hires are or have been in for some years. The Vols will pay well! I also don’t think they will hire a male coach but desperate times maybe.

Why would Candace leave the comfy job she has now?

Reaction Score
Would Kara leave Duke?
For more money (they could offer her more than Duke ever would be wiling to offer/could offer her due to football/SEC $$$) and to be seen as the "prodigal daughter" who restored Tennessee's rich legacy.

That said, I don't think the fans want her and don't think the AD has her as his preferred candidate.

Reaction Score
Would the Oregon State coach leave and go there? I don't really know anything about him
OSU is his Alma mater. Previous job at another Oregon college. Seems like he has deep family roots in Oregon…but, who knows? Tennessee is becoming such a regressive state too…

Reaction Score
Why would anyone think that someone with NO coaching experience is a good hire at a major program?
Exactly! I truly do not get why that sentiment is so pervasive in basketball, particularly on the women's side.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone think that someone with NO coaching experience is a good hire at a major program?
Some Vols fans were saying Lawson back in 2019 and at that point she hadn't coached at all.

Candace is one of the last big stars for UT who is at the end of her playing career but seems to have settled into the booth. With a young and growing family, she won't give that up to take over a HC job.

Reaction Score

Ohio State losing one of their ACs to Utah State. He's been on the sidelines in the BIG10 for some time with Michigan and Ohio State. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with his own squad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom