Legit FANDOM question, if you are diehard but didn't attend UCONN | The Boneyard

Legit FANDOM question, if you are diehard but didn't attend UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does it make you less of a fan?

See, I came from a blue collar family, I was the first to attend college, so I never had an allegiance to a university. As an upstate NY'r, who professionally was a Vikings/Reds fan (thanks dad!), I never cared for NY teams. At 12, I had a crush on girl named Calhoun, and at the same time, I started to see this cool sounding team called "UCONN" with a coach named "CALHOUN" and this slick stud of a ball player named "RAY ALLEN" and I was hooked. At 12,13, 14, I didn't watch as religiously as the following years, so I felt I missed out on how good those teams were, so I couldn't tell you of the 1994-1995-1996 teams, which one was better.

But I have been more than loyal since then, attending games all over, including UCONN, the GARDEN, Seton Hall, Louisville, and experienced the true anger and heartbreak of losses, 02 versus Maryland, 06 George Mason, the overnight marathon versus Cuse, and the road final four game versus Michigan State. I know what it is like to HATE Pitt, BC, Georgetown (and that stupid Hibbert 3 pointer in DC) along with lifelong disgust with Mason, Maryland, and obviously Duke.

With all this said, most of you attended the school and I didn't, do you still accept my fandom the same?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I grew up in Milford and started following listening to UCONN games back in the mid-seventies, a few years before I even thought about college. I've followed them ever since. I'm pretty sure the fact that I didn't actually attend UCONN doesn't make me less of a fan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you cut yourself what color is the blood? If you bleed blue you are one of us regardless of your alma mater.

I have a number of friends who are as diehard (well almost) as I am who did not attend UConn. Their fandom is every bit as valid as mine. A true fan is a true fan.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was accepted to UCONN but had to attend Western for financial reasons. Most of my friends went to UCONN which sucked for me. I've been a fan since I was a kid in the late '70s, before basketball was big time. To me it's not whether or not you attended UCONN, but about representing and supporting our own and UCONN is it for our state. I support all of the teams, men's and women's.

Reaction Score
You have been a better fan than some of us with your single-minded loyalty and faith in the team all those years.

Reaction Score
The biggest UConn fan I ever met was my father. Before I was born, he attended BET games in Providence, Syracuse, Hartford, and at MSG. Bled blue. Never attended UConn.

You're fine.

I didn't go to UConn either, but growing up with him, you damn well better believe I watched all the games that were available, and listened to the ones that weren't. And the fact that I didn't attend UConn doesn't mean I can't go to games games when I can or lose my voice screaming at one smart phone that I use to watch the game while running 50.1 miles and using the other smart phone to track mileage.

Reaction Score
I did not attend UCONN.

My dad moved to CT from NYC in the arly 60's....He got his MBA from UCONN and got into the Huskies watching Bialosuknia play. He used to tell me stories about calling up the field house on a Friday and asking them to "hold 2 seats for tonight's game for me", then jumping in the car after work with a buddy and a six pack of 'Gansetts and heading up to Storrs. He got me into UCONN when I was a kid during the Hanson, Whelton, Abro. days.

I've had season tix thanks to my lifelong friend beerfan since 1989/90. That turned out to be the perfect season to start buying season tix!!!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you never attended UConn, then you can only include yourself in our less famous "non-alumni" group of fans.....people like Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma....

Reaction Score
At 12, I had a crush on girl named Calhoun, and at the same time, I started to see this cool sounding team called "UCONN" with a coach named "CALHOUN" and this slick stud of a ball player named "RAY ALLEN" and I was hooked.

I love how this all came together, especially the part about the crush. Your reasons make no sense, and perfect sense, at the same time.

The bottom line is that, while I'd love it if every single alumnus agreed to buy season tickets every year in all sports, we need the support of diehard fans who may or may not have had any formal ties with the University -- every school does. Do you think that each of the 80,000 fans at an LSU game owns an LSU diploma? How about an Iron Bowl between Auburn and Alabama? Of course not.

Thanks for your support.

Reaction Score
I went to UConn in the 80's. The team was pretty bad under Perno and got a lot better under Calhoun. Doesn't really matter if you went there or not, as long as you feel like you ran over your own dog after a UConn loss. As long as you care that much, there is room aboard the Husky train.

Reaction Score
Ok I promise I'll be done with this post, but this AM has been so unproductive. But watching highlight reels man and thinking back, we've had some serious ballers here.

Just some good karma thoughts
Ripper with "HAMILTON!"
Khalid going nuts on the scorer's table in Pitt
Taliek from DEEP
Caron backpacking that 2002 squad
Rashad never being allowed in the state of Alabama ever
The decade we dominated the paint with straight up DOGS (Emeka, Boone, Adrien, Hilton, ThaBEET)
The end of the year BLOCK PARTY vs Cincy
BG was a pimp, and truly the most underrated player we ever had
Being public enemy #1 from coast to coast to the UNIVERSITY of WASHINGTON
The BEAT DOWN in the VILLE
Stanley climbing the ladder game after game in that 09 tournament
and . . .
5 GAMES 5 NIGHTS (which somehow to me was better than the tourney run)

Reaction Score
I did not attend UConn. I have to explain to some friends in Colorado how CT didn't have pro teams growing up (except the Wailers). I grew up in Ct and rooted for the Huskies just like everyone I knew. I was in 8th grade for the Dream Season and remember every high and low. The euphoria of Tate's shot and the low of Laetner's shot. I ended up going to a small College in Colorado with very little sports tradition and remained a diehard UConn fan. I always attended December games usually at the Civic Center when I came home for Christmas break. But, some of the best games were mid season away games which I drove to from Colorado. One at Arizona. One at Texas. Anyhow, I do not remember a time I haven't loved the Huskies. They are my top sporting team; and I never attended the school.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Milford and started following listening to UCONN games back in the mid-seventies, a few years before I even thought about college. I've followed them ever since. I'm pretty sure the fact that I didn't actually attend UCONN doesn't make me less of a fan.

Me too with a transistor radio under the pillow. Half the time I didn't know what I was listening to. Losses to Holy Cross and wild things going on at something called Curry-Hicks Cage, etc., I was a fan from a young age.

In the same way, I grew up watching Penn State football in the 1970s. I ended up getting a grad degree from there much later but that fact was practically irrelevant to my being a fan.

Reaction Score
I didn't go to UConn either. Born and raised in the Hartbeat aka Hartford. Grew up going to games with my Dad and Brother in the late 80's and 90's. I attended a small liberal arts school in Atlanta for college and did some grad school at SCSU. I still bleed blue as much as anyone for the institution that I grew up rooting for and that reps my state to the nation at large. Let's shock the world again fellas! It starts tonight!

Reaction Score
Although I did not go to UConn I have been almost a life long UConn Basketball fan and a Big Football Fan since the Upgrade. Living in Tolland in the 60's my dad started taking me to UConn games at the old leaky field-house. The game that hooked me was the game against the 17th ranked (playing a ranked team a big deal at the time) Rainbows from the Univ. of Hawaii and their colorful uniforms. Great atmosphere. In college (CCSC now CCSU) I remember listening to games on Saturdays while working at the Devils Den Cafeteria (Corny Thompson, Mike Mckay) and taking my brother to Providence to the old ECAC tournament vs Syracuse and Leo Rautins (the devil :) Been to MSG a couple times and now living in VA (26 years) watched games vs Georgetown in DC. Used to subscribe to the Journal Inquirer to get UConn articles in VA. So yes ..you are as good a fan as any..as I am. Well maybe that guy that paints his face blue/white is more crazy but you/me are in the club.

Reaction Score
I did not attend UCONN but I grew up in CT and both my parents went there. My brother worked there for the AD for a while and everyone in the family is still super evolved with the school. By far my favorite team in any sport.

We are DOOMED!!

Reaction Score
I moved to CT at age 8 in 1992 and fell in love with the Men's BKB team. They were THE team to root for with no pro-teams in the state (minus the Whalers).

I think I can count on one hand the # of games I have missed since then and I have attended countless others and will be there tonight. They are my team but I never really had any interest in the University as a school for my personal education but I don't think it has ever effected my fanatic status.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Me too with a transistor radio under the pillow. Half the time I didn't know what I was listening to. Losses to Holy Cross and wild things going on at something called Curry-Hicks Cage, etc., I was a fan from a young age.

In the same way, I grew up watching Penn State football in the 1970s. I ended up getting a grad degree from there much later but that fact was practically irrelevant to my being a fan.
Yep, had the radio too when I was supposed to be asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom