Left Behind in Realignment | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Left Behind in Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wasn't insurance the issue?
That was the excuse given. Supposedly, insurance premiums were going to skyrocket due to policies having to pay out when cheerleaders at some institutions fell from the top of pyramids & suffered head injuries. UConn's A. Dept. decided on a preemptive strike & dissolved the squad.
There was also an issue of the former cheer coach not sending the squad to away games because of not wanting to travel.
With the insurance issue, isn't the University paying for a blanket policy to cover all of its sports teams? Isn't the risk of head injuries just as great with football (i.e. Rutgers Erik LeGrande & his broken neck) or hockey?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It isn't the stunts, it is the fact that people somehow feel better that we took something away from the old cheerleaders and gave it to the new spirit squad. What did we accomplish? It is just plain dumb.

I don't think most people can tell the difference between the old and new cheerleaders. The unis are about same. We just got rid of the dopey stunts and added a dance team. The new way is better.

Reaction Score
There should be one and only one requirement that anyone from fans to the school should care about in regards to the cheerleaders/spirit squad or whatever you want to call them.

They should be A.) Physically attractive or close to it and B.) should not illicit groans when shown on national television during games and end up in screen caps on popular blogs as a symbol of how our girls are "Husky".

We still have a ways to go. I would say 60% of the squad meet A and B. The other 40% fall short.

Reaction Score
We need to expand the Rent, obviously, and build a hoop/hockey arena of at least 20K - hell- 25K , adjacent. We were supposed to piggyback the Pats at Adrien's Landing, but we know that went to sh&t. EH is good with potential. DO IT
Yes we should expand our 25,000 person stadium to look more empty than it already is. Great idea.

Reaction Score
I don't think most people can tell the difference between the old and new cheerleaders. The unis are about same. We just got rid of the dopey stunts and added a dance team. The new way is better.

Class S Connecticut High Schools have cheerleaders and dance teams these days. Good grief.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yes we should expand our 25,000 person stadium to look more empty than it already is. Great idea.

It holds 40K, it is mostly full for our FB games.
I am saying the XL is tired and worn. A new arena near the Rent that holds 20-25K would be good for us and entice a NHL move (back) here.
But hey, you want us to play in Guyer gym and mirror lake

Reaction Score
It holds 40K, it is mostly full for our FB games.
I am saying the XL is tired and worn. A new arena near the Rent that holds 20-25K would be good for us and entice a NHL move (back) here.
But hey, you want us to play in Guyer gym and mirror lake
Just being facetious about 25K. I have never missed a home game - ever!!! We can't fill every seat for 40K then we are doomed to mediocrity. Did you go to the NC State game last year. Pathetic. Michigan will be 50% Michigan fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Class S Connecticut High Schools have cheerleaders and dance teams these days. Good grief.

What does this mean? What do you want, jugglers and unicycles? Jugglers on unicycles? I've been to SEC, B1G and ACC FB games in just the last few years. Cheerleader stunts are a big "so what". I don't remember seeing one. You called UConn cheerleaders a disgrace. Back it up.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Just being facetious about 25K. I have never missed a home game - ever!!! We can't fill every seat for 40K then we are doomed to mediocrity. Did you go to the NC State game last year. Pathetic. Michigan will be 50% Michigan fans.

If you have not missed a home game in E Htfd you are hard core. I have missed some due to conflicts (why do folks marry in the fall?) etc . I was at the NC State game and it was gorgeous that day. It seemed pretty full, but will defer. I was blinded by coaching ineptitude that day, along with the past 2 seasons.
However, better to have it and not need it then not have it and need it, i.m.o.
(Larger stadium)

Reaction Score
I was at the NC State game and it seemed pretty full, but will defer.

Thanks for deferring. Here's the TV image viewers in North Carolina and throughout the ACC saw at kickoff last season vs NC St. It's called shooting yourself in the foot (or getting what you deserve). I trust Swofford and the ACC Presidents were highly impressed.

https://www.dropbox.com/l/1ATJooSLB1xp4UItJ3lqVb

Reaction Score
Thanks for deferring. Here's the TV image viewers in North Carolina and throughout the ACC saw at kickoff last season vs NC St. It's called shooting yourself in the foot (or getting what you deserve). I trust Swofford and the ACC Presidents were highly impressed.

We need to be better than this. This was after a 37-0 drubbing of umass and high hopes. I know we love our tailgating g but this needs to change

Reaction Score
We need to be better than this. This was after a 37-0 drubbing of umass and high hopes. I know we love our tailgating g but this needs to change
I'm of the opinion that if they opened the lots earlier people would get in to the stadium earlier. The 4 hour window is shorter than most other stadiums allow for tailgaiting.

Alum86

Reaction Score

LOL. Thanks. I am not that observant obviously. 3-4 hours tailgating will do that.
No point in history gets by this board. Love that.
I have to admit my group does not make into the game usually until 5-10 mins before kickoff.
Don't judge. Will get to UM game at least 30 mins prior I promise. UM being Michigan not Maryland.

Reaction Score
What does this mean? What do you want, jugglers and unicycles? Jugglers on unicycles? I've been to SEC, B1G and ACC FB games in just the last few years. Cheerleader stunts are a big "so what". I don't remember seeing one. You called UConn cheerleaders a disgrace. Back it up.

It means that if Coventry High can roll out a dance team and real cheerleaders then so can UConn. Especially considering that all the schools we are dying to rub elbows with have real cheerleaders.

I did not call the cheerleaders a disgrace. I said canning them and devaluing them only to replace them with a less talented version of themselves is a disgrace.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Whoever gives me buttons in the parking lot is tops with me. I like the cheerleaders and the cheer squad. The tee shirts fired into the crowd will not fit me.

Reaction Score
On that day (NCState) it looks like the student section had a good showing for kickoff. I was surprised we didn't have a close to sellout crowd for that game. We like to get in our seats for the player introductions, the pregame band performance. Maybe this year we can start to see some improvement in the fans effort to be in their seats for kickoff. I don't get how folks would not want to see the start of the game. The whole week builds up to that moment.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I recall the NC State game being an attendance disappointment. I probably overestimated NCSt as a draw, but as the marquee OOC game of the year it should have been closer to capacity.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Attendance numbers are what they are. Our problem right now, with attendance, has nothing to do with opponents. It's that that we aren't winning. SInce smacking South Carolina all over the field to close out the 2009 season, our W-L record is actually under .500, and would be REALLY far under .500 if not for Dave Teggart's leg and our defense playing lights out in the second half of the 2010 season and we've lost more home games in the past two seasons than we had in a several seasons before.

We need to start winning again, and winning at home a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom