Leave it to Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Leave it to Baylor

Reaction Score
I agree if you use your whole bench long before you reach 40 points --the coaching staff has done all it can to keep the score reasonable.
Then that really asks the question should that badly beaten team been in the tournament.
These--blowouts---are an exceptional chance to give the end of the bench load of "in-game" experience--I still am not a fan of them. Albeit--I like comfortable leads--

I don't agree. Each game is different, each team is different, each circumstance is different. I can't let my fandom cloud what a coach feels needs to be done-- give the coach's his players what he or she feels needs or deserves court time to get it. My fandom is not more important than what a coach feels needs to be done. A point measurement shouldn't be the sole barometer.

If UCONN takes a 30-40 point lead in the 1st half, the top tier starters don't get to play in the 2nd half just because the 2nd and third teams can hold the 30 point lead?

Next year as a guess UCONN will be trying to push into the rotation Stevens, Camara and Walker. How many games will opposing teams be close to UCONN? So are you suggesting that you'll want for example Molly Bent to have near the same minutes (after the 1st half blowout) as some of the top 6-8 players?

IMO next year's one weakness is the integration of the main top players while trying to also have player's such as Gabby and/or Collier expand their games (frankly I would keep Gabby right where she is -- just hopeful she becomes even more effective shooting from the outside. Though if she hits from the outside . . . ) while they learn to play with Stevens -- and the other impact new players. Not only that but they need minutes with variations of starters and non-starter combinations. UCONN will be pressing in the 1st half a lot thus wipe out teams early. Limiting their time by playing the last couple of players on the bench imo would be a huge mistake.

Next year for example, Notre Dames is getting Stanford's prior pg (a 5th year senior and a very good player) along with everyone coming back other than their pg, Allen. Also, they lose Nelson and Thompson who aren't getting significant minutes. Many of their top players would have already played 2 and in some cases 3 years together. With the many tough games in their conference their top tier players will be fully integrated by the end of the year. UCONN needs to integrate their top players too beyond who is coming back. To limit them and the integration of the team because they are too good would be a huge mistake imo.

Not only that - this year looks like we'll have 3 All-Americans in some form. Right now the elite UCONN players that start ---depending on their health get 25-30 minutes a night. The elite recruits that come to UCONN probably expect that's what they'll eventually see good minutes (that they earned) as they get older. We know players love to play. I think of the story last year that a player knew she was coming out and deliberately missed a ft so she could stay in even a little extra time. If UCONN starts dropping below the 25 minute barrier for the elite players that are healthy, then gradually UCONN will start to lose out on getting the elite recruits. And next year if the starters get at least 25 minutes along with the next few players off the bench get 2nd tier type of minutes- leads will be a lot of times in that over 40 point range early. Plus we are going to press (i.e put games away early so we don't have any "Tulane" relapse.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Each game is different, each team is different, each circumstance is different. I can't let my fandom cloud what a coach feels needs to be done-- give the coach's his players what he or she feels needs or deserves court time to get it. My fandom is not more important than what a coach feels needs to be done. A point measurement shouldn't be the sole barometer.

If UCONN takes a 30-40 point lead in the 1st half, the top tier starters don't get to play in the 2nd half just because the 2nd and third teams can hold the 30 point lead?

Next year as a guess UCONN will be trying to push into the rotation Stevens, Camara and Walker. How many games will opposing teams be close to UCONN? So are you suggesting that you'll want for example Molly Bent to have near the same minutes (after the 1st half blowout) as some of the top 6-8 players?

IMO next year's one weakness is the integration of the main top players while trying to also have player's such as Gabby and/or Collier expand their games (frankly I would keep Gabby right where she is -- just hopeful she becomes even more effective shooting from the outside. Though if she hits from the outside . . . ) while they learn to play with Stevens -- and the other impact new players. Not only that but they need minutes with variations of starters and non-starter combinations. UCONN will be pressing in the 1st half a lot thus wipe out teams early. Limiting their time by playing the last couple of players on the bench imo would be a huge mistake.

Next year for example, Notre Dames is getting Stanford's prior pg (a 5th year senior and a very good player) along with everyone coming back other than their pg, Allen. Also, they lose Nelson and Thompson who aren't getting significant minutes. Many of their top players would have already played 2 and in some cases 3 years together. With the many tough games in their conference their top tier players will be fully integrated by the end of the year. UCONN needs to integrate their top players too beyond who is coming back. To limit them and the integration of the team because they are too good would be a huge mistake imo.

Not only that - this year looks like we'll have 3 All-Americans in some form. Right now the elite UCONN players that start ---depending on their health get 25-30 minutes a night. The elite recruits that come to UCONN probably expect that's what they'll eventually see good minutes (that they earned) as they get older. We know players love to play. I think of the story last year that a player knew she was coming out and deliberately missed a ft so she could stay in even a little extra time. If UCONN starts dropping below the 25 minute barrier for the elite players that are healthy, then gradually UCONN will start to lose out on getting the elite recruits. And next year if the starters get at least 25 minutes along with the next few players off the bench get 2nd tier type of minutes- leads will be a lot of times in that over 40 point range early. Plus we are going to press (i.e put games away early so we don't have any "Tulane" relapse.[/QUOTE

Seems your computer got stuck in gear. Your--I disagree says it all.
Obviously, I disagree with your disagree. Next time find the O. F. F. button earlier.

Reaction Score
But.... but... but.... Hampton beat the #2 team in the AAC (Temple) earlier in the season.

True indeed and definitely congratulations to Hampton for that huge win but I was talking "tournament time" ball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But.... but... but.... Hampton beat the #2 team in the AAC (Temple) earlier in the season.
And let me see, Vanderbilt beat the #2 team in the ACC, so why aren't they dancing ... oh yeah they were the 13th ranked team in the SEC - that SEC conference must be killer! Now who was that #2 team in the ACC, hmmm .....:eek::cool:

Reaction Score

Every time you make a post about 40 point and the starters shouldn't be in etc- expect a reply in kind because I think you're wrong. And I'll post however long for not only you but maybe one other person who might be on the fence whether they think you're right or I am. All in fun here. I hope you feel the same. It won't be the last time there are disagreements. :)

Reaction Score
In Baylor's defense, I've noticed in recent years that the mid major teams from their neck of the woods that get the automatic bid, are usually the worst teams in the tournament. Northeastern mid majors seem to be better.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
True indeed and definitely congratulations to Hampton for that huge win but I was talking "tournament time" ball.

Well in defense to Hampton.... they lost 4 players to season ending injuries... including the conference player of the year and a few other key members. Im sure they were alot better when they beat Temple than they were last night.

And let me see, Vanderbilt beat the #2 team in the ACC, so why aren't they dancing ... oh yeah they were the 13th ranked team in the SEC - that SEC conference must be killer! Now who was that #2 team in the ACC, hmmm .....:eek::cool:

1) that game was before thanksgiving :cool:

2) technically Duke tied for #2.... but FSU beat us head to head so really it was #3 :cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What I will say is that there are a number of coaches who do not coach the way Geno does in blow out situations. When Uconn is in one of those ridiculous games, most of the time the team specifically shuts down all transition offense and all pressure defense - they work on zone on defense and half court offense using 20+ seconds off the shot clock, as if it were an extension of a practice session. A lot of other teams and coaches just continue running their normal game offense with their bench players in - if they get a transition chance they take it. And final score to some extent depends on the other team's choice of offense - if they choose to run and take quick shots, then you get a lot more offensive possessions even if you are trying to take 20 seconds on each one.
"Most of the time", however, was not yesterday. I presume it was because of the long layoff prior to the game and the need to get the bench players some minutes in case they are needed, but Geno did not do any of the things you mentioned in yesterday's game. As noted, the Huskies scored 33 points in the final quarter. The Top 6 players played until almost the 5-minute mark approaching the end of the game (which was particularly surprising to me). Even after the bench players came in, there was no milking the shot clock or slowing the game down; it continued to be business as usual.

I think this is justifiable because they are playing in the NCAA tournament where there are no tomorrows, and there is a genuine need to keep the players as sharp as possible and prepare for any contingency.

And I do think it is hypocritical to criticize Baylor for doing the same thing, especially since there starters appear to have played fewer minutes yesterday than UConn's starters.

Reaction Score
Don't care about their blow out.

It is obvious that the NCAA did everything they could to increase the probability of us getting upset.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom