LAX>Santa Barbara this Summer | The Boneyard

LAX>Santa Barbara this Summer

Reaction Score
My wife and I were approved to attend a four-day educational workshop in Santa Barbara this summer. My birthday happens to fall the day before the workshop starts, so to celebrate, I wanted to fly a few days early to enjoy California in the summer.

The plan is to fly into LAX and rent a car to drive to Santa Barbara with the intention of taking the Pacific Coast Highway from LAX to Santa Barbara. It'll be my first time into LAX and that part of California, so in the few days I have off from the conference, help me out w/ some tips for the trip!

Reaction Score
If you can avoid LAX, do so. Awful airport. Burbank much easier or fly right to Santa Barbara. These will be more expensive but may be worth it. To drive from LA to SB you will drive right past my house in Oxnard. If you need more info, I'm your guy. You could even use our house as a pit stop, easy access right off the 101 Highway or the PCH, about an hour north of LAX, or west of Bubank, halfway to SB.

Reaction Score
My wife and I were approved to attend a four-day educational workshop in Santa Barbara this summer. My birthday happens to fall the day before the workshop starts, so to celebrate, I wanted to fly a few days early to enjoy California in the summer.

The plan is to fly into LAX and rent a car to drive to Santa Barbara with the intention of taking the Pacific Coast Highway from LAX to Santa Barbara. It'll be my first time into LAX and that part of California, so in the few days I have off from the conference, help me out w/ some tips for the trip!
Me and my wife were in Santa Barbara in on the weekend before my birthday (fell on Tuesday after weekend). We were attending a wedding of our friend who we met when she was attending Tufts University. She is a big Kentucky fan, but she is an nice sweetie and not like those assholic Kentucky fans on their forum.

Have fun. Santa Barbara is beautiful and the beaches are nice. We rode our bicycles around town.

Reaction Score
Another thing to know. Summertime along the SoCal shore may not have the weather you expect. Often from May into July there is what they call the marine layer, fog and clouds that hug the shore, sometimes all day, sometimes it will burn off in the PM. Visitors that time of year, expecting the mythical SoCal "endless summer" are often disappointed. The later in summer, the better the beach weather as a rule. Actually September, October and November are our best weather

Reaction Score
Santa Barbara reccos:
  • The 'Funk Zone' downtown between the 101 and the beach. Lots of restaurants/wine rooms/shopping.
  • If you can, check out Los Olivos about 45 mins north of Santa Barbara and eat lunch at Bar le Cote. Amazing restaurant and sister to Bell's, a Michelin starred restaurant in nearby Los Alamos. Many wine rooms here too.
  • Los Alamos: Bob's Well Bread
  • Montecito: Bettina for great pizza and cocktails.

Reaction Score

Easy trip, my parents are doing it this weekend. Taking the PCH will slow you down a bit but it's a super-easy weekend trip and Santa Barbara is paradise. If you're on the road in the a.m. stop at Bree'Osh in Montecito for coffee and pastries.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If you're already going to be in Santa Barbara and haven't been up the coast and If you can take an extra day/night, a drive from Santa Barbara to Monterey is definitely worth it. Stay over in Monterey and drive back the next day. I'd recommend the Spindrift Inn in Monterey if that's in your budget. See if you can get a front balcony room. Then plan to have lunch either going up or back in Big Sur. Hopefully the 1 is reopened by then.

Reaction Score
If you fly United LAX is super easy! Travelled there over 30+ past 5 years. Rent at Hertz - get shuttle. Simple. There’s a restaurant Panns close to lax - great breakfast. Lot of tv shows filmed their and sister establishment is where pulp fiction diner scene was filmed. Hit up Porto’s!

Reaction Score
If you're already going to be in Santa Barbara and haven't been up the coast and If you can take an extra day/night, a drive from Santa Barbara to Monterey is definitely worth it. Stay over in Monterey and drive back the next day. I'd recommend the Spindrift Inn in Monterey if that's in your budget. See if you can get a front balcony room. Then plan to have lunch either going up or back in Big Sur. Hopefully the 1 is reopened by then.
FYI - due to mudslides, there are at least three points along the PCH (north of San Luis Obispo) that are currently closed to traffic while they repair the roadway. As a result, you are diverted inland and required to continue up the 101 freeway to get to Monterey.

Reaction Score
Summerland Beach Cafe, just south of Montecito, easy off and back on 101. Good reasonable breakfast and lunch in a great setting, outdoor patio overlooking the beach.

Reaction Score
If you're a wine guy, the SB growing region is very close to SB, it includes Los Olivos, Los Alamos, Buellton and was featured in the movie Sideways. The area is mainly known for great Pinot Noir varieties.

Reaction Score

Monterey / Carmel / Big Sur is gorgeous but it's a haul and I'm not sure it's easily navigable right now. But if you're gonna do it and you want to blow out your budget there are worse places to kill a couple nights than the Post Ranch Inn, probably my favorite hotel on earth.

Reaction Score
Santa Barbara is fantastic but it's not that close to the best part of the PCH. I'm a Delta guy and used to get in via Salt Lake. For a quick trip, anything south of Oxnard is unnecessary. You can hit Solvang or even Ojai pretty easily from Santa Barbara and skip all the traffic. In four days I wouldn't bother driving a ton since you'll already be in gorgeous, but expensive, spot.

Reaction Score

For good eats and a laid back vibe along the PCH, I suggest La La Cabana in Eastern Malibu. Can’t not give you a brewery reco… I love Casa Agria in Oxnard, about midway between LAX and Santa Barbara.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you can avoid LAX, do so. Awful airport. Burbank much easier or fly right to Santa Barbara. These will be more expensive but may be worth it. To drive from LA to SB you will drive right past my house in Oxnard. If you need more info, I'm your guy. You could even use our house as a pit stop, easy access right off the 101 Highway or the PCH, about an hour north of LAX, or west of Bubank, halfway to SB.
I second this. Burbank is also actually worth visiting itself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Monterey is wonderful, but its at least a 6 or 7 hour ride each way from LA
is it that bad now? I used to do San Jose to West Hills all the time and I don't remember it being that bad, and Monterey is closer. We usually took 5 though.

Reaction Score
is it that bad now? I used to do San Jose to West Hills all the time and I don't remember it being that bad, and Monterey is closer. We usually took 5 though.
Well, West Hills is at least 30 minutes from LAX, so we are not that far apart, but much depends on traffic

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've heard there's massive homeless encampments and rioting, please be careful.
Fake news. :)

Yes LA has a very large homeless population (gonna be interesting to see how THAT'S dealt with for the 2028 Olympics coming to LA), but rioting? Not since Rodney King in 1992...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom