Lauren Engeln to transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lauren Engeln to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
After Michala Johnson announced that she was transferring I told Tony C that I thought Laura Engeln was next.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am sure the coaching staff was honest with her in terms of playing time in the next few years. They seem to really let the players know where they stand. I'm sure it was a tough decision for her.

That class is pretty interesting...Samarie in the middle of the season, MJ and Lauren after sophomore year. Stef and Bria probably All Americans next year (Bria again).

Hopefully this will give Breanna Banks a little motivation to earn some minutes. With such a short bench (again) there should be plenty of time to go around.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Best of luck to you Lauren....I echo the sentiment that you will always be a Husky......I wish you success and happiness

Reaction Score
I'm always disappointed when girls leave early, though I understand her wanting to play more. With NO special insight, Lauren never seemed to "get it" for whatever reason. As we all know, UConn isn't for everyone, and I join the other BY'ers in wishing her the best of luck, and as others have said, once a Husky, always a Husky!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am sure the coaching staff was honest with her in terms of playing time in the next few years. They seem to really let the players know where they stand. I'm sure it was a tough decision for her.

That class is pretty interesting...Samarie in the middle of the season, MJ and Lauren after sophomore year. Stef and Bria probably All Americans next year (Bria again).

Hopefully this will give Breanna Banks a little motivation to earn some minutes. With such a short bench (again) there should be plenty of time to go around.
Banks is certainly going to get to play a lot of minutes. Geno liked her enough as a freshman to put her out there, even against quality opponents for limited stretches. He's implied that she needs her head on a bit straighter, but she has all the tools to be a real luxury for UConn.

Yep, the 2010 class can never be considered a bust given that it yielded Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson, but going from five to two is pretty crazy. Basically, the classes of 2009-2010 yielded only three players who stuck. All of whom are awesome, btw, but still less than ideal to say the least.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really liked Laurens game and sad to see her leave. There just wasnt enough room. With this years freshman class we are already seeing recruits going elsewhere because they see UConn is loaded and playtime with be at a premium. Our frontcourt, is the strongest in WCBB. For the first time in a long time UConn is not as deep at the guard position. I see Banks getting alot of playtime this season as we will need ball handlers bringing up the ball and play makers. Bria is going to a rest as alot will be put on her shoulders and MJ has alot to learn. As good as MJ is she still has a freshman learning curve.

Reaction Score
Commenting on previous posters Lauren became ranked after her UConn commit she didn't drop as said, Geno from my experience on an unofficial visit doesn't discuss playing time and frowns on recruits that do.

Does anyone see a patern or a problem here?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Interesting that we haven't seen anything from the horde.

Reaction Score
Commenting on previous posters Lauren became ranked after her UConn commit she didn't drop as said, Geno from my experience on an unofficial visit doesn't discuss playing time and frowns on recruits that do.

Does anyone see a patern or a problem here?

Someone listed all the Maryland players that transfered over the last few years, too many for sure. the consensus was Brenda ran a 'disfunctional' program. Now that Uconn, which is a great program with achievements Maryland can only aspire to, seems to have a large number of transfers, does this show disfunction in this program also?

Reaction Score
Clearly the role Lauren has had isn't one she's been happy with. Which means either Geno's representation of the role wasn't accurate during the recruiting process (seriously doubt), she wasn't able to play the secondary role she was supposed to (possible- see Speedoo's suggestion above), or Lauren wasn't honest with herself about whether she'd be happy with the role (possible as well).

OR, instead of the negative spin you give her, she made the admirable decision to challenge herself to see how much she could improve under Geno and within the UConn program, and then after two years of trying she again made the admirable (remember, these are 18-19 year old kids) self-evaluation that led her to decide to move on to where she could contribute more. Many people never take the risk to challenge or improve themselves or do the type of self-evaluation that leads them to be able to objectively come to a conclusion and then re-direct their life based on circumstances. I wonder if you are one of those later types since that possibility for Lauren seems to not have occurred to you?!?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Someone listed all the Maryland players that transfered over the last few years, too many for sure. the consensus was Brenda ran a 'disfunctional' program. Now that Uconn seems to have a large number of transfers, does this show disfunction in this program also? if the shoe fits...

You'd best go back under your bridge. You get too much sun, you'll turn to stone, you know..

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Naw. You just get a wicked sunburn under your luverly white coat. Looks like a lobster topped with Cool Whip...;)

HGN

Reaction Score
Good Luck Lauren.........Wish you would stay , but I understand. Best of Luck at your next stop.

Reaction Score
Our frontcourt, is the strongest in WCBB.

Better than Baylor? Absolutely not.

No one outside of Storrs could possibly believe that the Uconn frontcourt > Baylor frontcourt.

TC

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OR, instead of the negative spin you give her, she made the admirable decision to challenge herself to see how much she could improve under Geno and within the UConn program, and then after two years of trying she again made the admirable (remember, these are 18-19 year old kids) self-evaluation that led her to decide to move on to where she could contribute more. Many people never take the risk to challenge or improve themselves or do the type of self-evaluation that leads them to be able to objectively come to a conclusion and then re-direct their life based on circumstances. I wonder if you are one of those later types since that possibility for Lauren seems to not have occurred to you?!?
Um...yeah that sounds a lot like the second possibility I posited.

You also might want to watch your tone talking to people you don't know a thing about. I graduated from the University of Texas with high honors from their honors program, went into technology with no tech background, moved to Atlanta for professional reasons without knowing a soul, took on numerous promotional opportunites, got an MBA from Emory while working full-time. I now manage business development for a $100 million P&L across a wide array of sofware/software as a service solutions while also being deeply involved with raising a four year old and a two year old. Pretty sure I've challenged myself a fair amount in my life.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Um...yeah that sounds a lot like the second possibility I posited.

You also might want to watch your tone talking to people you don't know a thing about. I graduated from the University of Texas with high honors from their honors program, went into technology with no tech background, moved to Atlanta for professional reasons without knowing a soul, took on numerous promotional opportunites, got an MBA from Emory while working full-time. I now manage business development for a $100 million P&L across a wide array of sofware/software as a service solutions while also being deeply involved with raising a four year old and a two year old. Pretty sure I've challenged myself a fair amount in my life.

Fine post Alex...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting that we haven't seen anything from the horde.

About Lauren? Both Fuller and Elliott confirmed this yesterday afternoon.

Reaction Score
Someone listed all the Maryland players that transfered over the last few years, too many for sure. the consensus was Brenda ran a 'disfunctional' program. Now that Uconn, which is a great program with achievements Maryland can only aspire to, seems to have a large number of transfers, does this show disfunction in this program also?

Apples and Oranges comparing Maryland transfers to UConn. I can't see any disfuntion with UConn I do know kids want to play. They listen to parents and fans and they believe that they will work their way onto the floor or that they are talented enough to take a spot. It takes a special type of person to spend most of their time consumed with basketball after playing most of their life and not contribute when they are being told that they could. As for an 18-20 year old making decisions to transfer, I'm positive a parent or adult influenced the decision.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From the official announcement:

"Lauren is a great kid and has been a great teammate over the last couple of years," Auriemma said. "She was a valuable member of this program and worked really hard on the court and in the classroom. Recently, she expressed an interest in getting closer to home and I can understand that. I wish nothing but the best for Lauren, and her family, in the future."

LINK

Reaction Score
it may be about time to consider the possibility that the idea that players would rather sit the bench at uconn than actual play the game somewhere else doesn't apply to many young women. and once players begin to see others transfer, it becomes easier for them to also consider that possibility for themselves.

Reaction Score
Apples and Oranges comparing Maryland transfers to UConn. I can't see any disfuntion with UConn I do know kids want to play. They listen to parents and fans and they believe that they will work their way onto the floor or that they are talented enough to take a spot. It takes a special type of person to spend most of their time consumed with basketball after playing most of their life and not contribute when they are being told that they could. As for an 18-20 year old making decisions to transfer, I'm positive a parent or adult influenced the decision.

i can't imagine how you would have such inside info on either program. and maybe that's the point 1fan was trying to make. just because players leave that doesn't make the program disfunctional, whether you're talking about maryland, uconn, or louisville.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Plus, it's been pretty obvious why these kids are leaving. More playing time. The EDD thing was a special case, and Walker wasn't really a fit from the beginning and had special circumstances as well. Not dysfunctional...i would call the K-State situation a few years back dysfunctional. Or the Penn State stuff under Portland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom