Laundry list of Coach Hurley's shortcomings this year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Laundry list of Coach Hurley's shortcomings this year

Reaction Score
Your list of what Hurley needs to do was empty, but the brainiacs on the yard have two threads here saying:
  1. He needs to find ways to play Clingan and Sanogo together
  2. He needs to stop being smug
Classic Boneyard.
I have posted thoughts in past years that critiqued Hurley's offense and player rotations. I, like the rest of diehard UConn fans here, had gotten frustrated by the sometimes ugly play on the court. But you know what, look at this year's roster (only players who have seen some minutes):

Returning players:
Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson, Sanogo, Springs (5)

New players:
Alleyne, Calcaterra, Clingan, Diarra, Karaban, Newton (6)

Hurley has incorporated more than half a roster of NEW players and solved the Rubic's Cube of roster combinations that has our team playing at an insanely high team-oriented level.

Don't look forward to March, yet. Enjoy this season, each game as it comes. It is shaping up to be as special as the Dream Season, coming after a long period of sub-par results. Hurley can do no wrong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Article on the Yard about Geno and Danny bonding on the way out to PKI earlier in the week.. That's all that's goin' on in my comments.
I wasn’t replying to you

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ok I will bite.

He’s been really good, most rotations much better. But a noticeable weakness is in bounds plays. Seems either Sanogo or Clingan are getting lobs 90% of the time sometimes in corners, not good. Can we get a guard an open look or just open please.

There!!!
Do you have a list of coaches or teams that do well on inbounds plays? I swear when I watch basketball nobody has ever stuck out in that regard.

Reaction Score
Do you have a list of coaches or teams that do well on inbounds plays? I swear when I watch basketball nobody has ever stuck out in that regard.

Honestly have no list but will note who in the future. Because I watch games quite often and think to myself how come we can’t get a shot like that off an in bounds or an alley pop. But for you I will begin to not who, good?

Reaction Score
Hurley just seems very pleased and a little less animated this year - likely because he sees a final four caliber team playing well. None of the games have been close.
I want to find the source, maybe someone can help (I posted this in another thread too) but I remember Hurley being quoted as saying that once his teams become better, and better at executing, he will chill out more and more because his "animated" side won't be as necessary, at least not so often. I still think if Uconn gets a poor call late in a close game vs, let's say, Creighton, we will see the Hurley we have seen in the past and even get T'ed up. Of course lets hope he doesn't get any Ts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Honestly have no list but will note who in the future. Because I watch games quite often and think to myself how come we can’t get a shot like that off an in bounds or an alley pop. But for you I will begin to not who, good?
Sure, I’d just suggest waiting until you find a team who does it consistently. Cause it’s not like we’ve never scored on an inbounds in any game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s actually kind of scary how good we are this year, with the recruiting class we’re bringing in, that we got after last year’s disappointment.

The future is looking very very bright again.

Reaction Score
Ok I will bite.

He’s been really good, most rotations much better. But a noticeable weakness is in bounds plays. Seems either Sanogo or Clingan are getting lobs 90% of the time sometimes in corners, not good. Can we get a guard an open look or just open please.

There!!!

And yet, you can find people who cite that as a strength. No idea the source now because it was a while ago, but one of the analytic types broke down scoring, plays, etc. for a bunch of coaches on that. Confirmation bias plays a huge role in things like this when you’re watching games (one remembers what fits their belief, rejects everything else); its not intentional, just how our brains work. But, if you’re searching for stuff, things are probably going pretty well!

Reaction Score
I want to find the source, maybe someone can help (I posted this in another thread too) but I remember Hurley being quoted as saying that once his teams become better, and better at executing, he will chill out more and more because his "animated" side won't be as necessary, at least not so often. I still think if Uconn gets a poor call late in a close game vs, let's say, Creighton, we will see the Hurley we have seen in the past and even get T'ed up. Of course lets hope he doesn't get any Ts.

It’s doubtful I’m your source, but I said this in 2018 because I’ve watched him coach a million games, and it’s pretty true. He’s definitely said it as well.

But it works much better when it’s coming from the guys on the court. They’ll get there- either through recruiting or the current guys adjusting- and then Dan will get to calm down a bit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And yet, you can find people who cite that as a strength. No idea the source now because it was a while ago, but one of the analytic types broke down scoring, plays, etc. for a bunch of coaches on that. Confirmation bias plays a huge role in things like this when you’re watching games (one remembers what fits their belief, rejects everything else); its not intentional, just how our brains work. But, if you’re searching for stuff, things are probably going pretty well!
I think that’s the point of this thread. Over the years we’ve heard Hurleys supposed shortcomings as a coach and yet this year he looks pretty damn good so far doesn’t he? It turns out that having a team made up entirely of guys you’ve brought in and having a core who understand your system matters. Who knew?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This plays a huge role in the political divisiveness in this country. It’s amazing how limited the brain is when it comes to seeing the whole picture on some subjects.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Right, inbounds under the basket are essentially playing 5 on 4. The inbounds you remember are more often the result of bad defense and not good scheming.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
“When you’re trying to instill passion in a team,” Hurley said on Monday morning after a Q&A session at the Bristol Boys & Girls Club, “and a personality, a toughness, a fearlessness, an aggressiveness, an attacking mindset in guys that haven’t displayed it, you end up really emphasizing it — and, at times, over-emphasizing it — to draw that out of them. Once that gets instilled, I become a lot more calmer figure. We’re just not at that point right now. You watch our teams the last couple of years at Rhode Island, when we got good and had our culture established, I certainly wasn’t as animated.” New Haven Register Dec 10, 2018 Borges article

Reaction Score
This is actually a useful thread because I was part of the community last year that basically made two assertions:

1. Danny has demonstrated some things very well through 3-4 years:
  • Recruiting
  • Player Development
  • Culture/Motivation
  • Willingness to learn/adapt/grow
2. And also Danny had some outstanding questions:
  • In-Game Coaching
  • Roster Management
  • System Flexibility

For me, the start to this year really adequately puts to bed both Roster Management and System Flexibility. He brought in the right pieces and they have fit beautifully together. He realized he lacked shooting/playmaking/passing skillsets and targetted players like Karaban, Newton, Joey California to great effect. And given his personnel this year, he has moved into a much less aggressive but more suited defensive system with significantly fewer high-hedge/rotate setups, allowing DC and Adama to have an easier time patrolling the paint and leveraging our advantages there.

I still think Danny's in-game coaching is a question mark, but very encouraged by his willingness to be humble and identify areas of change/improvement and work toward improving. Its extremely refreshing to see and can't wait to see where we all go from here

pj

Reaction Score
I think that’s the point of this thread. Over the years we’ve heard Hurleys supposed shortcomings as a coach and yet this year he looks pretty damn good so far doesn’t he? It turns out that having a team made up entirely of guys you’ve brought in and having a core who understand your system matters. Who knew?:rolleyes:

I think Hurley's understanding of roster construction has improved as well. Last year's team was an object lesson in poor roster construction, and this year's team is a masterpiece of expert roster construction.

Give Hurley credit, it doesn't take him long to recognize and repair his weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Me coming in here guns blazing to see that post. Well played.

1669743560125.png

Reaction Score
Laundry list of Coach Hurley's shortcomings this year:

If you think I'm going to complain about the coach of an undefeated team playing at an incredibly high level, you're crazy!!
His team hasn't won 9 games yet this year. He needs work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are going to be close games, and Hurley is going to have to make adjustments. We will see what happens. I think Hurley is an excellent program "CEO". He should stick to what he is good at, and trust his assistants to handle the X's and O's at crunch time.

Mack Brown is the epitome of this approach. He is a bad game coach, and has made questionable decisions throughout his career. As he got more established, he delegated more and more of the game management and is one of the most successful college football coaches of the last 30 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom