Latest On Sydney Moss & College Basketball's Broken System | The Boneyard

Latest On Sydney Moss & College Basketball's Broken System

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Some kid with the resources needs to challenge this sort of thing in court. It is not right that bitter coaches have this kind of power over young players.

Reaction Score
I hope she ends up with Jamelle's Bearcats, but she probably won't.

Reaction Score
Going to court can be very expensive.

I think there is an NCAA appeal process for eligibility waivers for transfers. The NCAA should have the same type of appeal process if a coach denies a player from going to the school they want to.

I don't know what the problems are at Florida, I doubt she is leaving because of homesickness. I can understand the Florida coaches side, she probably spent a lot of time, and money recruiting Moss. If Moss is truly leaving because of homesickness that is a weak excuse to leave.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
WOW!

A shame if she doesn't get to play for a BCS school!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I think there is an NCAA appeal process for eligibility waivers for transfers. The NCAA should have the same type of appeal process if a coach denies a player from going to the school they want to.

I don't know what the problems are at Florida, I doubt she is leaving because of homesickness. I can understand the Florida coaches side, she probably spent a lot of time, and money recruiting Moss. If Moss is truly leaving because of homesickness that is a weak excuse to leave.

John homesickness is not a weak reason for leaving. It can be. May even most frequently will be, but the opposite is true, also. Today, potential connections between homesickness separation anxiety, and anxiety, depression and panic disorders are being studied. It can be very serious but without vastly more information and judgments are ill-advised.

Reaction Score
I (obviously) don't understand this BCS business. Isn't - worst case - she has to sit out one year, then, go anywhere - other, maybe, than current league?

Reaction Score
Ever notice that if a player tells Geno she is homesick and wants to transfer out Geno does his level best to help them?

Have any key starters left due to homesickness ?

Having lived in 8 states I have experienced homesickness, I outgrew it, as do most people.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Kia Wright - left UConn because she was homesick and Geno made the call to Kim Arico-Barnes coach of St. Johns and cleared the way for Kia to transfer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Have any key starters left due to homesickness ?

Having lived in 8 states I have experienced homesickness, I outgrew it, as do most people.
Then clearly your homesickness was different than that of others. What is true for one person may not be true of another. Separation anxiety for some is significantly different than for others.

Reaction Score

Samarie?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Samarie?

Not hardly. Delle Donne maybe.

I thought this comment odd - “They didn’t talk to my mom the whole season,” Moss said of the UF coaching staff. “They got me down there and then didn’t talk to my mom at all.”

In any case I thought NCAA transfer rules required a one year sit out if the player was transferring within the same conference. I have never heard of an instance where a transferring player was barred from playing.

Reaction Score
In any case I thought NCAA transfer rules required a one year sit out if the player was transferring within the same conference. I have never heard of an instance where a transferring player was barred from playing.

I believe you need to be "released" from your scholarship by your original school in order to play anywhere else.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I believe you need to be "released" from your scholarship by your original school in order to play anywhere else.

But aren't the scholarships a year to year deal?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mike Flynn is stating on twitter there's more to this story then what is known. Implies there are issues besides the transfer and schools should just wait until the full story is known.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not hardly. Delle Donne maybe.

I thought this comment odd - “They didn’t talk to my mom the whole season,” Moss said of the UF coaching staff. “They got me down there and then didn’t talk to my mom at all.”

Each conference has its own rules. Some just accept the NCAA-mandated one year, some tack on an extra year. I'm not sure about the SEC rules in the case of intra-conference transfer.

Reaction Score
Unless things have changed in the last year or two, the rule in the SEC requires a player to sit out two years if transferring to another SEC school, unless the previous school grants a release. With a release, only the NCAA-mandated one year is required. And, yes, vctwbuff, scholarships are legally only for one year and are renewed on an annual basis. Unless there is some particular language in the scholarship "contract" of which I am unaware, it is for this reason that I think a legal challenge to a coach basically holding a player "hostage" once the academic year is over should, and probably would, be successful.

Jim

Reaction Score
But aren't the scholarships a year to year deal?

The school has the choice if they are going to renew the scholarship . There is an ACC school that has not renewed several scholarships......... they claim to be one big happy family.

Reaction Score

Not exactly. If a player is not released to go to a given school, then she cannot receive a scholarship her first year at the new school. After that, she is free to play and get a scholarship at any school.

There is an appeal process - first to the school's administration (not the athletic department) and then, finally, to the NCAA. Unless there is something more than is stated in the article, I think the NCAA might order Florida to pull back from their current position - although it may be a long process.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Anyone else think the title of this thread is a bit off base? "College Basketball's Broken System" Every year thousands of college athletes receive scholarships to participate in NCAA sanctioned college sports. The system isn't perfect, but IMO it isn't broken.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Anyone else think the title of this thread is a bit off base? "College Basketball's Broken System" Every year thousands of college athletes receive scholarships to participate in NCAA sanctioned college sports. The system isn't perfect, but IMO it isn't broken.
Um, so like that's the title of the article that the thread links to. So are you saying the article is off-base, or are you saying that the thread title should for some reason rephrase the article title that Phil Heilman used on the Alligator? That's not usually considered correct way to do things, but whatever.

Heilman points out a some issues with college basketball such as vindictive coaches and the cases where coaches bring recruits in and sign long contracts and then the next week they're hopping off to some other schools, with a very disruptive effect on the students' college experience.

No for UConn players the system is definitely not broken, but for players like Moss at FL and untold others who may be in unhappy situations that they can't get out of without great cost, the system is broken. You find yourself as a player with an abusive coach like those UTenn volleyball players under Herman who know there's no chance that their "our institutions's image must remain spotless" (long before Pearl and Kiffen screwed that up) school administration will back them up in any way. In fact, they'll give the coach a pat on the back and send her off to apply her philosophy for some sad-sucker athletics department like Rutgers'.

But, nah, nothing's broken. I guess that's the way it's supposed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom