Last Governor's Cup? | The Boneyard

Last Governor's Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Hartford Courant: "There are discussions among both team's (CT-RI) representatives that this may be the last Governor's Cup. Each State is considering having its own all star game."

This is both good & bad news: It's good because, other than relatives, the game wasn't very well attended on the Rhode Island Side. It also has become an annual Conecticut blowout as the players on the R.I. sidelines tend to be much smaller.
It's bad news because Connecticut fans have been hoping for a Connecticut vs. Mass. or Connecticut vs. Easter N.Y. matchup. Secondly, if Connecticut goes to an in-state all star game, it will either dilute or cause the demise of the N.H. County vs Fairfield County game that is scheduled for a week later. Or, maybe that's the intent. There are only so many players to go around.

Reaction Score
Connecticut versus New England. Better for recruiting.

Reaction Score
The Governor's Cup is just no longer very competitive. Attendance is going to dwindle for Rhode Island if they have to travel to an away game every year to see their team get beat up. While the Rent is a great facility it would only have been fair to afford R. I. a home game every other year.

And I'm not sure the Gov Cup would ever cause the demise for the HoF Classic. It's not like the kids playing in that game are doing so because they couldn't make the Gov Cup roster.

Reaction Score
Why not have a Southern New England vs. Northern New England game to be played at the Rent? Would seem to make more sense.. and give UCONN Football more visibility ( would be another visit for a kid from Northern NJ, NYC, Westchester county areas along with their families to travel to CT ) ... Just a thought...

Call the game Tri-State vs. New England and have a long time NFLer be the sponsor ( akin to how Boomer Esiason sponsors the NYC vs. LI game )

Reaction Score
Why not have a Southern New England vs. Northern New England game to be played at the Rent? Would seem to make more sense.. and give UCONN Football more visibility ( would be another visit for a kid from Northern NJ, NYC, Westchester county areas along with their families to travel to CT ) ... Just a thought...

Call the game Tri-State vs. New England and have a long time NFLer be the sponsor ( akin to how Boomer Esiason sponsors the NYC vs. LI game )

As long as it's not Romanowski.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the problem with these games is how unbalanced the region is.

-nj is really good
-ny is good
-mass is below ny
-ct is a little below ma
-then ri/nh/vt/me combined would give ansonia a ok game.

i guess play a north ne vs south ne all star game. now if u got the preps all involved and stuff then its a different story.

ct/ri vs ma/vt/nh/me

Reaction Score
the problem with these games is how unbalanced the region is.

-nj is really good
-ny is good
-mass is below ny
-ct is a little below ma
-then ri/nh/vt/me combined would give ansonia a ok game.

i guess play a north ne vs south ne all star game. now if u got the preps all involved and stuff then its a different story.

ct/ri vs ma/vt/nh/me

I think VT is ranked as last in HS football...Marshwood (Berwick, ME) and Massebesic (Waterboro, ME) are good Maine FB school. Not sure of NH HS FB, but Maine might surprise people.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I still would like a Massachusetts against Connecticut. Playing at the Rent would be great and it could be played near Boston as well.

Reaction Score
I still would like a Massachusetts against Connecticut. Playing at the Rent would be great and it could be played near Boston as well.

Yes, the games could be at UMass' home Stadium!! (I think an NFL team plays there! :) )

Reaction Score
I'd have it Fairfield/New Haven counties vs. the rest of the state. Not SCC/FCIAC/NVL vs. the rest of the state.

NH/Ffld counties practice in the SW part of the state. Rest of the state practice in Middletown or Hartford.

Game @ the Rent.

Reaction Score
Actually, they can just build on the new haven v fairfield game by adding swc and nvl to fairfield (plus the bershire league for whatever it is worth) and then adding ccc, pequot and ecc to new haven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom