• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The only 4 teams with a shot for the last 2 number 1 seeds are Baylor, South Carolina, Stanford and Louisville.

Unless Duke miraculously sweeps into the tournament (which most likely means beating Notre Dame) and gets some luck with the other 4 teams dropping games, I can't see Duke taking a top overall seed.

Penn State, Tennessee, Maryland, West Virginia and Western Kentucky all have 5+ losses and will not be a #1 seed.

Of these 4 teams, I'd give the nod to South Carolina and Baylor. South Carolina has been stellar all year long, even if they lose a game at Tennessee or in the SEC Tournament, I think they'll deserve a #1 seed and should be cemented into the #3 overall seed unless they lose

Baylor has dominated the Big 12, besides the one hiccup at Kansas they have been very consistent. Solid wins against West Virginia and OK State. They'll need to win out to get the #1 in the tournament. Only losses have been a tight game to #1 UCONN and a 4OT game early in the year to Kentucky.

Stanford has a great record, but the only top 25 opponent they've defeated was Tennessee in a tight home win. Purdue, Gonzaga, Arizona State and Cal are nice wins but they haven't knocked off any other top 15 opponents, lost on the road to Washington who will not make the NCAA tournament, and have had other close calls against USC/Washington State. Unless Baylor loses another game, I'd have a hard time justifying Stanford as a #1.

Louisville...I don't think anyone really knows how good Louisville is. They played a streaky Kentucky team and lost a close one early in the year, got throttled by UCONN on the road, and have won every other game this season, but they haven't played anyone. The only victories they have over teams in the current top 25 are 2 wins against #24 Rutgers. Assuming they get rocked twice more by UCONN, they'll enter the tournament with a 30-4 record, with 0 wins against top 20 teams. Can't justify a #1 seed with that record.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the #1 seeds. Who do you have for yours?

Reaction Score
Stanford doesn't have to be a one seed. I could see the committee sending a team like S Carolina out west as the one. Stanford still gets the 2 seed at home. Same with Louisville. If either gets a 2 the committee will take a lot of heat. So I'll say they make both teams 1's to avoid the problem they created with this year's site selections.

Reaction Score
If Duke or MD win the ACC tourney including a win over ND, they would vault back into contention. I think Duke has about a 0.2% change of that happening, with MD at about 5%.

Point being beating ND and some of the other good teams at the top of the ACC would merit consideration. Particularly if Stan or SC stumble.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I think Louisville has a shot, and I never count Stanford out. So I'm going there.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Unless South Carolina loses to the Lady Vols, IMHO they'll get one of the remaining #1 seeds. If they do and Baylor goes undefeated they'll get it. IMHO committee will reward a conference winner over Louisville, unless Louisville beats UConn.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Stanford doesn't have to be a one seed. I could see the committee sending a team like S Carolina out west as the one. Stanford still gets the 2 seed at home. Same with Louisville. If either gets a 2 the committee will take a lot of heat. So I'll say they make both teams 1's to avoid the problem they created with this year's site selections.

I agree. If it is a close call for Stanford being a #1 versus some one else, like SC, they are likely to end up at the same place, and there will be grumbling forma one seed playing on Stanford's court which is reduced if they make Stanford the one.

Reaction Score
I need to see South Carolina beat the Lady Vols before giving them a 1 seed.

I think Baylor is more impressive at this point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think you have a group of teams at this point whose most significant win is probably Stanford beating TN. If SC wins out then they will get a #1 seed, but if they lose once or twice to TN then that is problematic. Baylor probably has an easier route to winning out and if that happens they have a very good argument for a 1 seed. But the best argument at the moment is probably Stanford and as others have said for Stanford it really doesn't much matter as they will be at home regardless.
If Baylor and SC both lose at least one more game than Louisville has a good shot at the last #1 as they will have an early KY loss and three losses to Uconn.
And if Louisville beats Uconn once they would guarantee a #1 seed.
Duke or MD beating ND might get them back in the conversation, but probably only if everyone else messed up. They just have to many losses.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
hmmmm, even though we are in the last week of the season, I still think its a a little too early to tell.

UCONN, ND

then

Stanford

then, either

South Carolina or Louisville.

I think Baylor will be a solid #2 Seed. It has been stated many times even by Creme that Baylor's OOC was too weak and the fact they didnt leave the state of Texas may reflect that.

South Carolina needs to beat Tennessee and Louisville needs to play UCONN close at least once.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I just cant see Louisville being a #1 seed unless they beat UCONN on Monday, and beat them again in the conference tournament. I think as long as South Carolina beats the vols this weekend... and advance to the SEC title game.... .. they will be a #1 seed along with Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom