Last 1st half possession looks even worse for PP on ESPN3 replay | The Boneyard

Last 1st half possession looks even worse for PP on ESPN3 replay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
O my God. I finally had the stomach to look at the series in question, which starts about the 1:10 mark on ESPN3. I read P's quote about this series last night (courtesy emshorts). Before you look at the replay read the pullout from story and the quote so it can be put in proper context

start pullout - The Huskies were moving before the half and had the ball at its 44 and all three timeouts left. (INSERT: 33 seconds remained) There was one big completion on the drive, a 22-yarder to Geremy Davis (four catches, 78 yards) but there were no time outs called to set up shots at the end zone.
"We were in good shape, there wasn't really a need to use a timeout," coach Paul Pasqualoni said. "Once it got to eight seconds we kicked a field goal. If you run the risk of trying to play there with eight seconds that's kind of the cutoff. If you do something, God forbid you get sacked, you get tackled in bounds, even though you have timeouts sometimes you can't get to them. ... You're right at the line with seven seconds and I wasn't going to risk one second. I just thought Chad, with the wind, would have a pretty good shot to make the three."
Christen missed a 51-yarder wide right. (INSERT: 1 second left after the miss). - end pullout

Watch the replay, which starts about the 1:10 mark. Here's my takeaways

The failure to call time out immediately after the Geremy catch with 23 seconds left was/is a DISGRACE. The failure to argue strenuously to put time back on the clock after the review is a DISGRACE. The "Oh, OK" look P gives the ref after all the time runs off before the review is a DISGRACE. Even after all the screwing around with the review it was first down at the RU 34 with 14 seconds left WITH ALL THREE TIMEOUTS. We threw an incomplete pass TO THE SIDELINE WITH ALL THREE TIMEOUTS. With 8 seconds left we kicked a field goal instead of running a quick play as Congemi suggested to get Chad more yards. A DISGRACE.

The P quote shows, at a minimum, a lack of basic knowledge and engagement. This is UNACCEPTABLE from a leader making $1.5 million. He is a nice guy and probably has good assistant coaching years ahead of him but this IS NOT THE PLACE.

In the three losses there are seven possessions (including the one above) in which PP/GDL made REPEATED bad decisions which led directly to losses. The first three vs. NC State (give to Hyppo for no gain on 3rd down the worst). The first two at WMich (in which we failed to go back to the tight ends after big gainers to them put us in good field position), and then two at Rutgers, including the drive that led to the field goal. 7 straight runs, three to Lyle, two to Scott and two unproductive ones to Lyle before Scott comes in on third down - killing our momentum yet again - and throws incompletion before FG.

Manuel can't stay silent about this the rest of the season. By the way we're still 6th in total defense but dropped four more spots to 110th in total offense.

Reaction Score
What's funny is after the review the ref said, "the clock will start on my signal." What does STBFHCPP do? He doesn't call a timeout to stop the clock from starting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What's funny is after the review the ref said, "the clock will start on my signal." What does STBFHCPP do? He doesn't call a timeout to stop the clock from starting.
As soon as the review began PP should have demanded the clock return to where it was before they reset the chains (there is no way they can review a play during clock time) and called a TO after the announcement.

I'm guessing that PP wanted the clock running and the following play started ASAP to avoid a review but once that happened, there was no alternative other than returning the clock to where it was at the catch (and auto stop on a first down).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This whole time, I was working under the impression that we had 21 seconds after the Geremy Davis catch and the sticks being moved. I was wrong...

WE HAD 23 SECONDS!!! CALL $%KING TIMEOUT!!! Unreal. 23 seconds, and even if they review the play, you have given yourself two more shots before sending on the field goal unit. Unbelievable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom