Lakers trying out Ater Majok | The Boneyard

Lakers trying out Ater Majok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Either I'm getting old or I was never clear on why he left; in any event, I can't really remember what happened with him here. Did he get recruited over?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn had a lot of trouble with Majok's guardian and eventually pointed the kid out the door - it was a bad situation caused by someone trying to make a living off a kid's future.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
His guardian thought he was a small forward, calhoun thought he was a center lol. The season after we gave him the boot we won the National championship...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was far more complicated than that.

The kid would have been a big-time player here had he been allowed to simply be a college basketball player without a tether.

Reaction Score
Either I'm getting old or I was never clear on why he left; in any event, I can't really remember what happened with him here. Did he get recruited over?
My recollection is that, after some adventures with a chair, the dude came here and had a pretty solid year - was clearly raw, but had very good defensive instincts and had a great motor. Was surprised when he announced he was leaving. I thought that he could have developed into quite a force on the inside with his natural instincts and length.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He was big in the win over #1 Texas. Left and still got drafted late by the Lakers.

Reaction Score
It was far more complicated than that.

The kid would have been a big-time player here had he been allowed to simply be a college basketball player without a tether.

Wow good stuff Fishy never knew, never asked.

I agree he would've been a very good player if he had a couple more years in college at UConn. A couple of times the talent was oozing when he played and he was just beginning to find himself. Too bad

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Classic case of the effects of having bad advice whispered in your ear, particularly when it is contrary to what your coach is trying to teach you. I would say it is a cautionary tale, but really, a kid at that age (or any age really) can make decisions about who they pick as friends, they don't really have a lot of choice in terms of who they get as parents...

Reaction Score
I thought there were issues with his eligibility that were coming to light and that was why he left. Never knew it as a fact or had facts to back that up, that's just the way it seemed. I had high hopes for him too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in the NBA on a 10-day. There's a lot of injuries, and this kid clearly had the frame and motor to be a basketball player if he put muscle on

Reaction Score
Classic case of the effects of having bad advice whispered in your ear, particularly when it is contrary to what your coach is trying to teach you. I would say it is a cautionary tale, but really, a kid at that age (or any age really) can make decisions about who they pick as friends, they don't really have a lot of choice in terms of who they get as parents...

It wasn't his parents. The guy was more of a handler, I believe. He wasn't an agent or anything like that but he had Majok convinced that he had more knowledge and expertise of how to get him to the league than Calhoun and UConn. There was head butting of the plan and how quickly the plan would come to fruition when Ater was at UConn between his overseer and the UConn staff from what I understand from people I trust who were around him. As a result Ater chose to trust his handler's opinion of what was best for him and UConn wished him the best of luck on his endeavor and they went separate ways.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hope he makes the team. Looks like he needs the money.

Tovey said Majok, who was signed by Perth as a six-week injury replacement player for Jesse Wagstaff earlier this season, would be confronted by a number of Wildcats over some unpaid loans.

“I do hope he bring his cheque book because a lot of guys are looking for their money,” Tovey said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/archive/...017891911?nk=98d18652a7665b74eca1a067bfe0177d

Doh.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member