Laimbeer High on Stokes... | The Boneyard

Laimbeer High on Stokes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kiah's "athleticism, length, and basketball IQ are ... the collective characteristics of where the NY Liberty are heading." High praise from ND alum Laimbeer

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kiah's "athleticism, length, and basketball IQ are ... the collective characteristics of where the NY Liberty are heading." High praise from ND alum Laimbeer

Indeed.

Reaction Score
The following statement by Kristin Bernert of the NY Liberty was the classy way to talk about just traded players, Cruz & Montgomery! Not like our classless Sun HC Anne Donovan, who blasted Kara Lawson when she was traded to Washington, "We want people here that winning is their 1st priority and they're only focused on the CT Sun!" No one should ever question Kara's heart and determination!

“This was an outstanding draft for us,” said New York Liberty Senior Vice President of Business and Basketball Operations Kristin Bernert. “All of the players we selected today are people of quality character and fill key positions on our roster. We thank Alex Montgomery and Anna Cruz for their contributions to our team on and off the court.”

Kiah will thrive with a defense oriented coach like Bill Lambeer! And don't be surprised if her offense picks up!

Reaction Score
Kind of lost in the shuffle was the fact that Michala Johnson, formerly of UConn, and now with Wisconsin, was also selected by the Liberty! Congrats to all!

Reaction Score
Kiah will become a better offense player if she wants to. Geno tried to push her to score more but she never became more aggressive on offense. She can do it to the point of scoring maybe 10 points a game but I believe she will still be more of a defensive player.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Without looking at the stats, I believe Charde became "better" offensively after she left UConn for the WNBA.

Yes and no. She was basically the same player, with the same offensive moves that she uses over and over: 1) A very quick spin move that almost always frees her up for a drive or short shot and 2) a pull-up jumper from about ten feet that she loves to take on the run.

She was able to have a great year (All Star) on a terrible Minnesota team, where the offense was focused on her as the #1 option. She also put up great numbers on a terrible Phoenix team (2012).

Charde's biggest problem is that she does not know how to consistently contribute when she had better players on her team or when she did not have the ball in her hands (or was the focus of the offense). When Minnesota got Maya Moore, her ppg dropped to 2.9. When Phoenix got Griner, she went from 12 ppg to 5 ppg. She is a high usage player, but not an efficient one.

On a bad team where she can be the focus of the offense, she will put up great numbers. But when the team acquires better players, she does not know how to contribute or to fit in.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Get rid of the Ss in Kiah's surname and change the T to a C, and the thread title would be entirely believable if we're hearkening back to Bill's Bad Boys playing days...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Charde is not the only player to improve significantly after UConn. In my opinion, Tina Charles became much better offensively after her college career, mainly by developing a reliable mid-range jump shot. It is also notable that she led the WNBA in rebounding in her rookie year, despite often falling short of her rebounding potential during her UConn career.

In neither of these cases should one conclude that there was a deficiency in the coaching received by these players at UConn. More significant factors are: (a) greater personal maturity in the years following graduation, causing the players themselves to realize the importance of developing additional skills and the desire to put in the work necessary to do that; and (b) better "chemistry" with their WNBA coaches -- not everyone has an ideal personality fit with Geno or CD.

I think, on the whole, it was a mistake for Charde to have come to UConn, and for Geno to have offered her a scholarship -- and I think his recruiting selections since then have suggested that he believes that also, and is determined not to repeat that mistake. No one from a personal background similar to Charde's has been recruited since she graduated.

Tina is a different case. I think she simply grew up emotionally and personally at a slower pace than many players, and didn't fully develop the determination to realize her vast athletic potential until at least her senior year at UConn, and perhaps even after graduation. Geno made a wisecrack once about how coaching Tina was like sending a message to a distant galaxy -- it would be years before the message was received and responded to. He predicted that she would come back after she is married and has children and say, "Now I understand what you were trying to tell me when I was playing for you." As usual, his observation was probably very close to the mark.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think, on the whole, it was a mistake for Charde to have come to UConn, and for Geno to have offered her a scholarship -- and I think his recruiting selections since then have suggested that he believes that also, and is determined not to repeat that mistake. No one from a personal background similar to Charde's has been recruited since she graduated.
interesting

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, what was wrong about her background?
Tough family situation. I think her mom and her were homeless for a time, maybe living in a car? Then she lived with other people while her mom was homeless for a while. Something like that. Very difficult.

Geno seems to recruit players with a more stable homelife/family. Sometimes he has even commented on recruiting families, or not recruiting a player because of their families/parents.

Hmm, she's only 29, she should have a few more WNBA years left in her. Really liked her when she was here, but it didn't really seem like a good fit for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JoePgh - I don't necessarily disagree with the premise, but do have some quibbles:

1. Charde - agree, but think the real answer is that are very few people with Charde's personal history who are any good at basketball, and certainly not in the Uconn standard. I think that rather than conscious choice is why no one else has been recruited. (Striper69 - tough situation that included living out of a car with her mom for a year. I think I have that right.) I think Charde/Geno was more just an issue of conflicting styles and stubborn people.

2. Tina - she did take a while to develop, but ... Feb of her junior year was when the light finally came on and Senior year it stayed on - she had that foul line jumper in her arsenal earlier, but it was deadly her senior year. And she was NPOY as a senior. I would say a contemporary of hers would be a better example - Kaili never reached her full potential - loved her game, but she was sort of content to 'do what she did' rather than be shaped by the coaching staff. Willnett would be another from the DT years.

Reaction Score
Last week a very friendly cashier at Trader Joe's in Orange saw my UConn championship tee shirt and commented that his cousin Charde played at UConn and is playing abroad now. I told him that we all loved Charde and that she was a great player for us.

Reaction Score
Without looking at the stats, I believe Charde became "better" offensively after she left UConn for the WNBA.
I did notice that. Geno must have a blind angle in terms of teaching/training method...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom