Lady Vols suspending players from early pre season games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols suspending players from early pre season games

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Holly is instating discipline and to have to disciple team leaders, upper classman is not good for the team. Perhaps this is why the LVs have not made the FF in so long. Leaders lead and underclassman follow. This is not good for the team as a whole. Holly needs now to keep her eyes on the upperclassman. This is not about winning this is about rebuilding the LVs into a top team in WCBB. Having upperclassman lead by example is very very important. To have them act like this needs the strictest attention. If it continues kick them off the team. You can not tolerate an attitude problem it will ruin the team. If Holly needs to rebuild the team then this year may be the year. The LVs have struggled for a long time. Perhaps this is part of the reason I don't know but I do know you don't tolerate bad attitudes. If it was one player that's one thing but this is to many players. Give them a second chance and that's it. You wanna win . Win with winners team players not premadonnas. Build a dynasty not a house of falling stars.

That's quite a leap to equate missing once class to the reason that a team has not been to a Final Four.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm convinced the whole thing will backfire.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Volnation is full of part time fair weather fans... completely opposite of those I have sat by in stands or communicate with on the Summitt (for the most part).
Holly's puzzlement came from the consistent lack of practice and game preparation translation to the actual game. The team would practice like a top 5 team and then play like a 20th ranked team. That was mentioned numerous times last year as a frustration point, by players and coaches. X's and O's are just fine... offense needs to be tweaked and it sounds like that is what happened this offseason. Losing Ariel ending up hurting down the stretch. She was having her best year and providing a consistent perimeter threat to a team that ended up in the 200's as far as 3 pointers made per game. The additions and growth of the players this year I think will prove to be a better fit with what Holly and staff are trying to do. They have 2 seasons under their belt, a sweet sixteen and elite eight, and some great recruits with or headed to the team. I think the dramatics with Holly's position needs to chill.

Very good post. No coach should be expected to inherit a program and win it all within the first couple of years. All coaches need time to get their own players that were recruited to fit their style. It's inaccurate to think that Holly is planning to do things exactly like Pat. She is her own person with her own ideas and needs time to develop the program to fit her own vision.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Agreed, as long as TN continues to miss out on the FF, Holly can stay there as long as she likes.

Don't get too comfy. She'll return the program there soon enough.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very good post. No coach should be expected to inherit a program and win it all within the first couple of years.
I know, nothing like that would never happen. Especially on the men's side. :rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Volnation is full of part time fair weather fans... completely opposite of those I have sat by in stands or communicate with on the Summitt (for the most part).
Holly's puzzlement came from the consistent lack of practice and game preparation translation to the actual game. The team would practice like a top 5 team and then play like a 20th ranked team. That was mentioned numerous times last year as a frustration point, by players and coaches. X's and O's are just fine... offense needs to be tweaked and it sounds like that is what happened this offseason. Losing Ariel ending up hurting down the stretch. She was having her best year and providing a consistent perimeter threat to a team that ended up in the 200's as far as 3 pointers made per game. The additions and growth of the players this year I think will prove to be a better fit with what Holly and staff are trying to do. They have 2 seasons under their belt, a sweet sixteen and elite eight, and some great recruits with or headed to the team. I think the dramatics with Holly's position needs to chill.
Vols were 15-4 with Massengale and 14-2 without her. Hard to say about the difference in competition between the first and second halves of the season, but the loss at home to LSU and the poor loss to Vandy were with Massengale in lineup, while the wins at LSU and over USCar came without her. In her case it may simply be that players like Carter were able to step up with her gone, because her stats were quite good except for the poor 2-pt shooting percentage that left her at 38.5% for the year.

But you can't necessarily assume that the record would have been better with her in the lineup, as basketball is a game of many intertwined connections, and sometimes losing one can actually improve a team. It's good to know that the players are actually listening to their coach and have the X's and O's down as another UConn-UTenn NC game is what everyone in WCBB wants.

Reaction Score
I wanna see the first competitive game UT plays in..... it will give a good window as to whether the "new Holly" ....head os discipline and recipient of player's respect has taken, or if Ariel's comments were hollow..... people behave one way under normal circumstances, and another way when the pressure turns up..... so it will be interesting..... this year and its success for the Lady Vols are largely incumbent upon Holly

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't get too comfy. She'll return the program there soon enough.

We are real comfy with whomever wants to dance in the moonlight with our Team Justa. On the other hand, has Holly taught anyone on the Tenn team to dance to her tune? Massengale says after 2 years they are going to listen. Hmmmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom