Kyla Irwin in the news | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
[Kyla] is carrying a 3.95 grade-point average, and volunteers with the State College basketball team’s summer camp and also with a number of other organizations. She also has a strong will and doesn’t get rattled when an opponent tries to get into her head.

“It’s what UConn saw in her, and what a lot of the other colleges saw in her,” her coach and mother, Bethany Irwin, said earlier this year. “It’s not just putting the ball in the hoop, it’s the passion for the game she has.

Whether it’s on the basketball or volleyball court, female Inspiring Athlete of the year Kyla Irwin is a star on both stages

Reaction Score
Wow! Impressive young woman. She definitely fits the mold to be one of Geno's girls.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm liking this:

As the basketball bounces off the rim, Kyla Irwin can move deftly into rebounding position for a put-back for two points. Just as quickly she can shoot out to the wing and with a sweet stroke drain a 3-pointer.

This is why we shouldn't really get all bent out of shape about rankings. Geno has been known to pass on a highly ranked kid in order to sign a lower ranked player that's versatile and coachable and has a burning desire to win, even if it means sacrificing individual stats and honors for the good of the team. My sense is that that describes Kyla.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm liking this:

As the basketball bounces off the rim, Kyla Irwin can move deftly into rebounding position for a put-back for two points. Just as quickly she can shoot out to the wing and with a sweet stroke drain a 3-pointer.

This is why we shouldn't really get all bent out of shape about rankings. Geno has been known to pass on a highly ranked kid in order to sign a lower ranked player that's versatile and coachable and has a burning desire to win, even if it means sacrificing individual stats and honors for the good of the team. My sense is that that describes Kyla.
Agree with you 100%. However... Players like Johnson, Engeln and Edwards all transferred to get more playing time. Granted some had Edwards as a top 15 kid and she was a McD AA (or WCBA), but still, if Kyla's content to play a role, like Meghan Gardler, then she will be fine. If she wants 20-25 MPG, it may not be a great match. I suspect it's the former - she seems like a great kid and we all know UCONN can't have a team filled with 12 top 10 kids - not enough PT for everyone... Bottom line I like this kid a lot...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She reminds me of a couple of the SASS crew. Looking forward to watching her career at UConn.

Reaction Score
Hey---Why doesn't anyone comment on the 3.95 grade point average??? That with the busy bee basketball standout and playing other sports it amazing. And to top this, as pointed out earlier, she's a looker. This is the kind of threads I like to read. A real Uconn/Geno/Christine type of player, student. Thanks for posting this..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hey---Why doesn't anyone comment on the 3.95 grade point average??? That with the busy bee basketball standout and playing other sports it amazing. And to top this, as pointed out earlier, she's a looker. This is the kind of threads I like to read. A real Uconn/Geno/Christine type of player, student. Thanks for posting this..
3.95 in a college town where academic expectations are high. Doubly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom