Kyla Irwin - I Think She Should Stay... | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin - I Think She Should Stay...

Reaction Score
and become the Graduate Assistant for Geno and staff.

What does a basketball graduate assistant do?
Responsibilities: Will serve as an assistant coach with the varsity program; will serve as coach for the junior varsity program. Assist with planning and implementation of practices, scouting, recruiting, video analysis, individual player coaching sessions, equipment, academic monitoring, and athlete fitness programs. (from: hoopdirt.com)

Maybe Kyla could play overseas for a year or two and then come back. But either way, who is better qualified to be the UConn WBB grad assistant than Kyla. Don't forget she played for her Mom in high school. She likely has much respect for WBB coaching. And...she would be getting her Masters in Sports Management, or something similar. Also, we may now need a youngster's participation with recruiting. I would love to continue to see Kyla on our sidelines. :)

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Something seems to be missing from this post. A link to an article, maybe?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Kyla has said a number of times she wants to do a master’s in occupational therapy.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see her back as a grad assistant, but I’m not sure the schedule of OT coursework and UConn basketball would work together.

Reaction Score
Kyla has said a number of times she wants to do a master’s in occupational therapy.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see her back as a grad assistant, but I’m not sure the schedule of OT coursework and UConn basketball would work together.
Point taken. However we should never say never...JavaDaughter#1 has TWO Masters degrees. Guess we'd have to check NCAA rules on that one before Kyla starts her second. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wish Kyla well in what ever she wants to do. Being a grad assistant though seems a little contrived and potentially ackward as she would be giving direction to former teammates. I believe all the former graduate assistants have been intentionally selected from other programs to bring fresh perspective and new ideas. If Kyla desires to be a graduate assistant a good place to start would be in her home town @ Penn State.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
When were Junior Varsity teams discontinued? I don't remember UConn ever having JV, it was Freshmen and Varsity back in the day.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Don't think so. What's puzzling you. Be glad to be of assistance if I can.

But do you really need an outside source to help you decide if you think Kyla Irwin would be an able grad assistant?
Sorry, I read this early this morning. I didn't realize that you continued your post heading into the body of the post. Also, didn't notice that your italicized text was a general description rather than an article excerpt. Hopefully, you can now see the reason for my confusion.

As to the question that you pose, I do not have enough information to make an informed opinion either way. I may be one of the few posters who is willing to make that statement.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Point taken. However we should never say never...JavaDaughter#1 has TWO Masters degrees. Guess we'd have to check NCAA rules on that one before Kyla starts her second. :cool:
Java daughter sounds like one smart homonid!. ! Maybe more sapiens than erectus. ;)

Reaction Score
and become the Graduate Assistant for Geno and staff.

What does a basketball graduate assistant do?
Responsibilities: Will serve as an assistant coach with the varsity program; will serve as coach for the junior varsity program. Assist with planning and implementation of practices, scouting, recruiting, video analysis, individual player coaching sessions, equipment, academic monitoring, and athlete fitness programs. (from: hoopdirt.com)

Maybe Kyla could play overseas for a year or two and then come back. But either way, who is better qualified to be the UConn WBB grad assistant than Kyla. Don't forget she played for her Mom in high school. She likely has much respect for WBB coaching. And...she would be getting her Masters in Sports Management, or something similar. Also, we may now need a youngster's participation with recruiting. I would love to continue to see Kyla on our sidelines. :)
What JV program?

Reaction Score
When were Junior Varsity teams discontinued? I don't remember UConn ever having JV, it was Freshmen and Varsity back in the day.
JV was never a thing in DI. Freshmen ineligible was discontinued in the 60s and was never in the women’s game. The only JV games that happen in college are at the D3 level, where there is no maximum number for rosters (no scholarships).

Reaction Score
JV was never a thing in DI. Freshmen ineligible was discontinued in the 60s
It was later than that Jordy. I played in the late sixties and I was (by rule) on the freshman team my first year. My kids (who have all played in the last twenty years) thought I was making that up when I told them. I was surprised when in my oldest's first year at an Ivy we stopped by a freshman football game to watch a player from our old HS league play. With freshman long ago eligible for the varsity and understanding the great expense of fielding a varsity team on that level I couldn't believe that they were suiting up another forty freshman or a very least supplying coaching and travel for freshman that were not yet starters on the big team.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I remember years ago when Nebraska was a great football power, all their offensive lineman knew they were in a 5 year program. One year playing on the freshman team. One year to redshirt and work on strength and conditioning. Three years in the varsity program. During that time they had numerous AA linemen.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It was later than that Jordy. I played in the late sixties and I was (by rule) on the freshman team my first year. My kids (who have all played in the last twenty years) thought I was making that up when I told them. I was surprised when in my oldest's first year at an Ivy we stopped by a freshman football game to watch a player from our old HS league play. With freshman long ago eligible for the varsity and understanding the great expense of fielding a varsity team on that level I couldn't believe that they were suiting up another forty freshman or a very least supplying coaching and travel for freshman that were not yet starters on the big team.

They still had freshmen teams when I graduated in 1969. I remember Lew Alcindor played on a freshman team at UCLA that could beat most college teams, including UCLA. Title IX was passed in 1972. Found this on Google:

NCAA Division One Freshmen could play varsity ball until 1954. The NCAA then changed the rules and freshman were ineligible to play. The rule was rescinded in 1973. That is why you see college greats like Robertson, West, Alcindor (Jabbar), Mount, Maravich, Carr etc. playing in only 75 to 90 games. They were eligible for only three varsity seasons. Maravich, Mount, Robertson, Lucas, Russell all would have put up some unreachable numbers if they played 140 games in a career like the guys of today. If Maravich had played in 113 varsity games he would have scored 5000 career points and Oscar would have scored over 3800 points. .

Reaction Score

I’m an Occupational Therapist. Last I knew UConn didn’t offer a graduate program in OT. I did a quick search I’m not finding one. Kyla will do very well, whatever she does. She would make a great OT. And would likely be an excellent coach.

Reaction Score
Don't think so. What's puzzling you. Be glad to be of assistance if I can.

But do you really need an outside source to help you decide if you think Kyla Irwin would be an able grad assistant?
Yes, more objective !

Reaction Score
I for one would love for Kyla to be a GA!
Especially if coaching is in her future!
Our family loved watching her enthusiasm and play the last 4 years. We sat behind her parents one game. They were really cool people!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom