kromah on kane.... and DD needs a big offensive night | The Boneyard

kromah on kane.... and DD needs a big offensive night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CANT REMEMBER WHEN I HAVE BEEN SO FREAKING PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!

I have watched alot of ISU bc I love the spread offense they ran vs us two years ago with Royce in the NCAA and I love FH as a coach.

I think we put Kromah on Kane (deny ball defense) -the SF size is the same as the guards for ISU and my concern is 2 fold:
1. fouls - Bazz cant get into foul trouble like last game and kane's movement and time of possession for his team makes this a possibility.
2. Bazz takes too many risks on defense and his tendency to go under screens makes me nervous vs such a good shooter.
Kromah is our best bet and while kane is a Guard - ISU plays virtually a four guard system so I am not concerned with us having a mismatch with this move.

DD CAN BE HUGE tomorrow on the offensive end. I like him getting the ball wit his back to the basket on the low block (preferably left side so he can use the spin into the lane). Either way I really like the matchups we can create with a 2 man iso game with DD and Bazz.

thirdly... my prediction is that Giff is going to have monster game ..... I mean on both ends of the floor.. GIFF WILL BE A KILLER!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those socal kids get it done, go deandre! :D I live 20 min from his high school.

Reaction Score
Problem with Kromah on Kane is Daniels or Giffey would have to sit. I think Ollie starts someone else on Kane and we see Kromah if it doesn't work.

Reaction Score
Problem with Kromah on Kane is Daniels or Giffey would have to sit. I think Ollie starts someone else on Kane and we see Kromah if it doesn't work.

I am hoping Giff does not get wasted from trying to stop Kane. It has to be Kromah doing the task. If Bazz, Giff, and Boat will play their normal game, it would be Brimah and Daniels playing well that could make this game winnable for us. ISU has several weaknesses that I hope KO would be able to exploit.

Listed in order of importance.
Weakness #1: Vulnerable interior. Brimah and Nolan and Daniels could use this for points and generating fouls on their bigs.
Weakness #2: Only 5 main players. Early foul trouble could get them. Dribble penetrate and lobs into the interior could induce fouls. Can run out of gas in a fast-paced game.
Weakness #3: Average FT shooting.

Go Huskies! Get us to the FF!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Daniels ought to be able to do damage inside against them.

There are four games left in this season. Dre has been playing really well, but he still hasn't been putting up the points like he did at the end of last season. It's time.

Reaction Score
I am hoping Giff does not get wasted from trying to stop Kane. It has to be Kromah doing the task. If Bazz, Giff, and Boat will play their normal game, it would be Brimah and Daniels playing well that could this game winnable for us. ISU has several weaknesses that I hope KO would be able to exploit.

Listed in order of importance.
Weakness #1: Vulnerable interior. Brimah and Nolan and Daniels could use this for points and generating fouls on their bigs.
Weakness #2: Only 5 main players. Early foul trouble could get them. Dribble penetrate and lobs into the interior could induce fouls. Can run out of gas in a fast-paced game.
Weakness #3: Average FT shooting.

Go Huskies! Get us to the FF!!!
You nailed the weaknesses but I will add my comments
#1- Yep. this is a big concern
#2-Will not run out of gas. ISU has run fast paced all season and they do not run out of gas. Steve Kerr was a moron in saying ISU was tired. ISU is treaky in games but the UNC game was pretty typical. Even though UNC rotated 8 players, ISU had more gas in the last 3:00 minutes.
#3- Free throw shooting has been average all year but take a look since the Big 12 tourney started. Kane is 76% Hogue is 80%, Morris is 100%, Long is 75%Edozie is 75%. Ejim was our 2nd best FT shooter but is the only one to drop since the Big 12 tourney. Everyone else has improved 10% points or better.

Reaction Score
CANT REMEMBER WHEN I HAVE BEEN SO FREAKING PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!

I have watched alot of ISU bc I love the spread offense they ran vs us two years ago with Royce in the NCAA and I love FH as a coach.

I think we put Kromah on Kane (deny ball defense) -the SF size is the same as the guards for ISU and my concern is 2 fold:
1. fouls - Bazz cant get into foul trouble like last game and kane's movement and time of possession for his team makes this a possibility.
2. Bazz takes too many risks on defense and his tendency to go under screens makes me nervous vs such a good shooter.
Kromah is our best bet and while kane is a Guard - ISU plays virtually a four guard system so I am not concerned with us having a mismatch with this move.

DD CAN BE HUGE tomorrow on the offensive end. I like him getting the ball wit his back to the basket on the low block (preferably left side so he can use the spin into the lane). Either way I really like the matchups we can create with a 2 man iso game with DD and Bazz.

thirdly... my prediction is that Giff is going to have monster game ..... I mean on both ends of the floor.. GIFF WILL BE A KILLER!!!!
I have been told that Daniels is more of a finesse face type than a back to the basket type. I see Ejim/Hogue being able to keep him off the blocks as they seem stronger and have defended bigger stronger guys all year. I do worry about Daniels dribble penetrating from the perimeter as Hogue and Ejim can get a little lazy and reach

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have been told that Daniels is more of a finesse face type than a back to the basket type. I see Ejim/Hogue being able to keep him off the blocks as they seem stronger and have defended bigger stronger guys all year. I do worry about Daniels dribble penetrating from the perimeter as Hogue and Ejim can get a little lazy and reach

He is more of a finesse type player. His being more of a faceup player is something that you inferred.

Reaction Score
I agree, keeping Bazz, Boat, and Kromah out there with Daniels/Giffey as a 4 and Brimah in the paint will be a hard matchup for ISU. Bazz and Boat should have an easy time getting inside, if they are getting side ISU is in trouble because:

A) higher scoring percentage inside versus a team who is weak in the paint
B) leads to increased foul percentage, and with a team that isn't deep, foul trouble could be scary for ISU
C) getting ISU to collapse down inside, leaves two VERY GOOD 3 point shooters, Giffey and Daniels outside with clean shots

If UCONN and keep this from a running game, make it half court, spread the floor and attack the basket with speed, they will have the advantage.

caw

Reaction Score

Daniels can and will post. Will he drop step dunk on you, no, but he will post up.

Daniels is a more finesse guy on the block. You keep saying Ejim and Hogue have defended bigger and stronger guys all year. Not sure how that matters. Daniels is taller but more quick than bigger/stronger. He will try to get post position by using his speed not his strength to get to a spot.

Reaction Score
You nailed the weaknesses but I will add my comments
#1- Yep. this is a big concern
#2-Will not run out of gas. ISU has run fast paced all season and they do not run out of gas. Steve Kerr was a moron in saying ISU was tired. ISU is treaky in games but the UNC game was pretty typical. Even though UNC rotated 8 players, ISU had more gas in the last 3:00 minutes.
#3- Free throw shooting has been average all year but take a look since the Big 12 tourney started. Kane is 76% Hogue is 80%, Morris is 100%, Long is 75%Edozie is 75%. Ejim was our 2nd best FT shooter but is the only one to drop since the Big 12 tourney. Everyone else has improved 10% points or better.

Yep, I agree the ISU is truly an energetic and physical team. I thought they were fresher than UNC at the end of the game although UNC did not defend very well. And it certainly looks like your best players have become well above average at FT shooting very recently. If they could sustain that against a better defense like Uconn's, well, let's see what will happen tonight. I would like to see how ISU players will respond to good perimeter defense coupled with solid, although offense-challenged interior defense from our bigs. To be honest this super strong Kane and Ejim truly, truly scare me. Uconn's plan - and it not rocket science - should be to throw them (especially Kane) out of their physical comfort zone, but that's easier said than done. Whoever wins, though, will have trouble going up against the winner of MSU vs UV. MSU, particularly, would be a matchup nightmare for either ISU or Uconn. Of course, I am rooting for Uconn and UV to win tonight, not to disrespect UV.

Reaction Score

I totally disagree with you on this one. There is a time between about 12:00 and 4:00 in the second half where ISU will lay back a bit to catch their breath, but they ramp back up when the game is ready to end. They never push hard at this time and put someone away. They were tired in the UNC game with one less sub running through the rotation. You could tell by looking at them that they didn't have much left in the tank at the time.

That being said, UNC and UConn don't play the same style. UNC was eager to run, UConn will be eager to slow it down. Even if ISU runs on all of their possessions, UConn will most likely run their offense and the clock on their own. That should allow ISU to stay relatively fresh.

I think it does set up an interesting facet though for both teams:

- Will ISU commit more fouls having to guard a disciplined team who moves the ball around and uses the clock (not to mention plays aggressive D and draws OFouls)? If so, that's bad news for ISU since they lack depth, UConn is a good FT shooting team, and hitting FTs allows UConn to set up their D.

- Will the UConn bigs, namely Brimah/Nolan, wear down from having to run paint to paint every 15 seconds. If so that could shorten UConn by keeping the big guys from ever making it back quick enough to make a play.

Personally I think a UConn all G/F line up of Napier, Boat, Daniels, Giffy Nolan will wear ISU down and make it too difficult for ISU to get mismatches. ISU needs to open parts of the court to lure UConn into taking lower percentage shots and running the rebounds to have a chance tonight, assuming neither team goes into a shooting funk.

Reaction Score
Yep, I agree the ISU is truly an energetic and physical team. I thought they were fresher than UNC at the end of the game although UNC did not defend very well. And it certainly looks like your best players have become well above average at FT shooting very recently. If they could sustain that against a better defense like Uconn's, well, let's see what will happen tonight. I would like to see how ISU players will respond to good perimeter defense coupled with solid, although offense-challenged interior defense from our bigs. To be honest this super strong Kane and Ejim truly, truly scare me. Uconn's plan - and it not rocket science - should be to throw them (especially Kane) out of their physical comfort zone, but that's easier said than done. Whoever wins, though, will have trouble going up against the winner of MSU vs UV. MSU, particularly, would be a matchup nightmare for either ISU or Uconn. Of course, I am rooting for Uconn and UV to win tonight, not to disrespect UV.

I totally agree. UConn/ISU actually match up pretty well together and it may come down to who has the ball last. But neither team matches up well against UVA or MSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom