KO's next steps on the recruiting trail | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KO's next steps on the recruiting trail

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Cobb had 32 assists in JC. You have to realize this kid did nothing at SC, and watching videos are highlights, your seeing the best of the best, all against JC teams. The fact is, you could be right, and he becomes a great asset, or I could be right, in not expecting much. We are both speculating. I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that we had a player already from that same JC, that was a star, averaged just shy of 20ppg, and could not get out of his own way at UConn. The numbers simply did not translate, and he had 2 years, neither good. Your basing your opinion on his numbers translating at UConn. There is a giant leap from this JC and who they play vs what he will see at UConn. I'm sorry, but I don't see it, and I hope I am dead wrong in that assessment.
I happen to agree with you about Cobb. And I agree with you that stats at the JC level or even a mid major level don't guarantee success at a more competitive level. But dismissing potential based on this position or how other players from a program perform is lazy analysis imo. You have to evaluate the talent on a case by case situation.

I watched a complete game which Cobb played in. In full disclosure the kid had just returned to the lineup from an ankle injury. With that stated the kid's play supported yours and 99's position. I stated when Cobb made the commitment it was a real head scratcher. The most I could see from him was situational minutes and a practice player to help Steve and Juwan develop.

Now people in this forum demonstrate conclusively that two people can watch the same game and the same player in the same game and come to totally different conclusions. So knowing that I have my own biased perspective I proposed people watch the game that @Matrim55 posted in the Cobb thread to decide for themselves. I don't believe the vast majority chose to do that.

Based on that tape alone, I gave more weight to the posts which stated that KO really tried hard to get Steve to stay versus it was recommended he leave.

Reaction Score
I happen to agree with you about Cobb. And I agree with you that stats at the JC level or even a mid major level don't guarantee success at a more competitive level. But dismissing potential based on this position or how other players from a program perform is lazy analysis imo. You have to evaluate the talent on a case by case situation.

I watched a complete game which Cobb played in. In full disclosure the kid had just returned to the lineup from an ankle injury. With that stated the kid's play supported yours and 99's position. I stated when Cobb made the commitment it was a real head scratcher. The most I could see from him was situational minutes and a practice player to help Steve and Juwan develop.

Now people in this forum demonstrate conclusively that two people can watch the same game and the same player in the same game and come to totally different conclusions. So knowing that I have my own biased perspective I proposed people watch the game that @Matrim55 posted in the Cobb thread to decide for themselves. I don't believe the vast majority chose to do that.

Based on that tape alone, I gave more weight to the posts which stated that KO really tried hard to get Steve to stay versus it was recommended he leave.

Very fair and well thought out and written post, I appreciate that type of input. I expect little from him, and hope for a lot.

Reaction Score
They took cobbs because they had to not because they wanted to

I hope that is not true, if it is, and we are now in "settling" mode, we are in big trouble.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

There is so much, "I can has cheezeburger" in this thread, that it's a relief to read your post even if it doesn't come to a happy conclusion.

There were many years that The Boneyard wasn't a year round thing for me, and maybe it's time to check out until the end of the spring signing period. Or, perhaps, scan the Subject lines for hard news and intriguing OTs. In the meantime, I have all kinds of hip hop recommendations to check out via Spotify.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This article is really just a compilation of like 4 boneyard threads and uncommitted kids on the 247sports "targets" section for us

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There is so much, "I can has cheezeburger" in this thread, that it's a relief to read your post even if it doesn't come to a happy conclusion.

There were many years that The Boneyard wasn't a year round thing for me, and maybe it's time to check out until the end of the spring signing period. Or, perhaps, scan the Subject lines for hard news and intriguing OTs. In the meantime, I have all kinds of hip hop recommendations to check out via Spotify.
If anyone needs to find happiness or just not observe miserableness this forum should be avoided now and probably for a year or two.

There is no need to subject ourselves to futile situations when there are so many alternative choices in life. So says the dude who will continue to march in the battle of emotional morass and read these threads.

Of course one can get a benefit from staying here. One can observe how people handle adversity (denial, over reaction, under reaction, blame, polarization, egocentricity, goading, trolling ...).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hope that is not true, if it is, and we are now in "settling" mode, we are in big trouble.
99 is too cryptic. It was situational. We had a commitment from Zach Brown, who, if things had worked out, would have most likely been the starting five with Steve the back up center. With Zach's commitment we lost out on other possibilities. The situation was obviously worse when we revoked his offer because it was even further in the recruiting period with less options available.

I get people are upset with the current situation. It doesn't help things when we let our emotions dismiss some or all of the events that may have led up to the situation.

Reaction Score
99 is too cryptic. It was situational. We had a commitment from Zach Brown, who, if things had worked out, would have most likely been the starting five with Steve the back up center. With Zach's commitment we lost out on other possibilities. The situation was obviously worse when we revoked his offer because it was even further in the recruiting period with less options available.

I get people are upset with the current situation. It doesn't help things when we let our emotions dismiss some or all of the events that may have led up to the situation.

I agree I am cryptic

Reaction Score
At this point, may as well just grab 4 RJ Evans-caliber players and call it a season. No point looking for the next Rakim Lubin or Leon Tolksdorf.

C

Chief00

Cobb will be a much better player then Enoch will be next yr if he stay at UConn. This is both on the offensive and defensive end. Have u watch the tapes and saw the rebounding stats for Cobb. He also can make a uncontested dunk. Enoch n Brimah were black holes on offense. The offense stops for 5 to10 sec when they got the ball. They can't pass n u wonder why we take contested jump shots to the end of shot clock
Not sold he is better offensively than Enoch.

Reaction Score
Not sold he is better offensively than Enoch.

Enoch had solid moves, but was historically awful at putting the ball in the basket. Some guys just don't have it -- you see it in soccer all the time where a guy has dazzling skill, but can't finish.

C

Chief00

Not true. Cobbs is not a great player or even better in any mode of enoch. Step back.
? I am confused with your response - I said I wasn't sold on Cobbs being better than Enoch and you seem to be saying the same thing / but you lead with "not true".

Reaction Score
? I am confused with your response - I said I wasn't sold on Cobbs being better than Enoch and you seem to be saying the same thing / but you lead with "not true".
Sorry to much bourbon and lawn work. Miss read what you wrote

C

Chief00

Sorry to much bourbon and lawn work. Miss read what you wrote
Save some bourbon for the season - you may need it.
If I was KO I would focus on the two CT transfers and a big. If we did that we would have plenty of scoring - assuming Terry comes back healthy.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cobb will be better than Enoch?

Cobb won't be able to play 2 full possessions before he's gasping for air.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Cobb actually wants to be here and contribute to the team. I like him much better than Enoch already.

Bingo!

The kid wants to be here. The coaching staff thinks they can work with him. That's good enough for me.

But this is the Boneyard after all. The same posters who are complaining about him now will be the same ones who say they knew he was good if he turns out to be good...

Reaction Score
A
I don't believe this ... NOR would most people that are in a sales or production business. You have tools & you have capacity. You just go hunt & gather. I can't see relationship segments by class matter.
Any kids on the football team who are good basketball players? Has to be a few I would think.

Reaction Score
Enoch had solid moves, but was historically awful at putting the ball in the basket. Some guys just don't have it -- you see it in soccer all the time where a guy has dazzling skill, but can't finish.

Personally, I believe Enoch was simply never given a chance. He was rarely on the floor for longer than a 5-6 minute stretch. Ollie saw this season falling apart. he saw Brimah was no better a player than he was last year, and he was constantly in foul trouble. Ollie had a chance to give Enoch a lot of experience this season, but he chose to stay with Brimah. I would have reversed the minutes, Enoch would of played a lot more, and to that effect, the fact that he is no longer here, is a direct by product of that. The kid got 20+ minutes in 3 games, and that was because of foul trouble by Brimah, and Facey. Maybe he didn't earn the time in practice, there are things I surely don't know about, but otherwise, I would have played Enoch 25 minutes a game, the team was going nowhere.

Reaction Score
At times I would have liked to see Enoch get more playing time. From Ollie's perspective though, it was probably tough to reward someone who plays such poor defense with more playing time. I'm guessing if he played Brimah's minutes he would be the one in constant foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom