Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing about the AAC “hurt” factor that many people also fail to appreciate is that it hurts UConn more than any other AAC school. We are the square peg geographically and culturally in this conference; i.e., it’s a worse fit for us than it is for any other member. It’s been a clear step down for us and we’ve yet to even come close to dominating it, whereas it’s been a clear step up for others, many of which have improved their stature and standing since joining. And the travel is a killer for our kids—again worse than for any other member, which also makes it harder. And this year’s team has only played one road game so far this season. As delicate as they are, things could get worse soon.
It's been a major step up for everyone outside of UConn and Cincy, we've been hurt way more than any other program in the country and all the Big East schools have been lifted up by it. It's so fitting, I feel like the whole state of CT. gets cr@pped on my whole life.

Reaction Score
I'm honestly not that mad we didn't get him, I just can not understand for the life of me why he would go to Illinois. On what planet does a top 50 big man watch an Illinois game and say "oh man, I need to play here. Their coach is a jerk, they are awful, their system is a joke, and Brad Underwood hasn't done anything that makes you think they'll be good ever, but this is the place for me" lmao

Reaction Score
I want to save UConn basketball by going back to a conference that helps us recruit basketball players regardless of your belief that Football is the only thing that matters, if you cared about UConn basketball you would admit that the Football program is hindering us hardcore.

Any recruit if given a choice between playing their conference tournament at MSG or in Orlando where are they going to pick?Conference games against Georgetown Seton Hall St Johns Villanova Providence Marquette or ECU Tulsa SMU USF UCF or Wichita State?

You always talk about a P5 split that is never going to come you are just hyperbolic.

Always find it funny when people argue their point by rattling off lists comparing the most appealing teams from one conference vs some of the least appealing against the other. I can do the same with the teams you left out, would you rather play against Houston, cincy, and Memphis, or DePaul, creighton, and Xavier? Or how about in football, would you rather play in the sec against Arkansas and Vanderbilt, or in the AAC! against UCF and Houston!

Not saying that the big east is worse at basketball, they are certainly consistently better, just thought I’d point this out!

Reaction Score
I'm honestly not that mad we didn't get him, I just can not understand for the life of me why he would go to Illinois. On what planet does a top 50 big man watch an Illinois game and say "oh man, I need to play here. Their coach is a jerk, they are awful, their system is a joke, and Brad Underwood hasn't done anything that makes you think they'll be good ever, but this is the place for me" lmao
Don't think it was really his decision, wouldn't be shocked if this one doesn't stick.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
point of order but if you don't know about ratings then how do you know for a fact the big east gets more attention?
Because I saw non-Villanova Big East mentions on chat shows last week. Something I have yet to see from the AAC. And probably never will.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Not mad at our insiders just curious what’s the word here? @Matrim55 @BFieldHusky
I've been laid up w/ pneumonia for more than a week now so I'm out of the loop, but basically: Nobody ever said Kofi was a done deal, just that we were better than a coinflip in terms of getting him.

Things can and do change. I tend toward @superjohn's analysis of the situation earlier in the thread as to why and how it changed.

i.e...
Don't think it was really his decision...

Reaction Score
Don't think it was really his decision, wouldn't be shocked if this one doesn't stick.

Nothing implied towards Illinois or kofi, but as a general statement, it will be interesting to see the recruiting landscape after the NCAA deals out its fbi punishments. Hopefully it will be before next year. There would certainly be lots of kids decommitting from top programs! Who knows, maybe the extra empty scholarship left by Kofi may lead to something amazing!

Reaction Score
I've been laid up w/ pneumonia for more than a week now so I'm out of the loop, but basically: Nobody ever said Kofi was a done deal, just that we were better than a coinflip in terms of getting him.

Things can and do change. I tend toward @superjohn's analysis of the situation earlier in the thread as to why and how it changed.

i.e...
Sheesh. Feel better. Appreciate the response

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Bummer - Pneumonia. I had it once and couldn't go to work for a week. I basically lay in bed w/fever watching all the seasons of Dexter. Hopefully you're better now.

i.e...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I want to save UConn basketball by going back to a conference that helps us recruit basketball players regardless of your belief that Football is the only thing that matters, if you cared about UConn basketball you would admit that the Football program is hindering us hardcore.

Any recruit if given a choice between playing their conference tournament at MSG or in Orlando where are they going to pick?Conference games against Georgetown Seton Hall St Johns Villanova Providence Marquette or ECU Tulsa SMU USF UCF or Wichita State?

You always talk about a P5 split that is never going to come you are just hyperbolic.

The P5 split will come. Dragging UConn down to the NBE before it happens will destroy UConn basketball. Come to your senses and stop advocating for UConn basketball’s destruction.

Reaction Score
You can read between the lines here:

“They recruit hard,” Oak Hill Academy head coach Steve Smith said of the Illinois staff. “I know Coach Antigua pretty well. He was at Kentucky and South Florida, and he recruited at Oak Hill. He probably told Coach Underwood: ‘Hey, we can recruit those guys at Oak Hill.’ He does a great job and their staff does.”

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Paesano would do well to realize that people would take his claims more seriously if he didn’t accuse every recruit who goes elsewhere of being on the take.

Seriously, do these people really think bribery is the only thing that could keep a kid from committing to UConn?
No, but in this instance when the staff feels really good, and our insiders tell us it's better than a coin flip,(not with where he went, mind you) he said he was doing Illinois a favor, etc. it just really smells fishy to me. It has nothing to do with the school he picked...but more about how it all went down.

Reaction Score
Guilty of what? Making money off his own talents and hard work? It's the system that sucks (from the athletes perspective).

Guilty of accepting bribery. Every high school athlete knows accepting cash from a school isn’t allowed. Any who take money should be held accountable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Eh, I understand it. Think about your son/daughter looking at colleges. They formulate an initial list based on their academic profile. They usually have some idea of which ones they like the best. They start doing tours. After one of the tours they say that one is their favorite. But that could definitely change over time based on a lot of factors and ultimately they could end up at another school (even assuming they are accepted at all the schools they apply to).

Recruiting is similar so why can't one school lead at some point in time but that changes and they ultimately commit to another school?

Sure, that's a reasonable take as far as how the kid is feeling.

The idea that coaches, recruiting 'experts' and message board posters have a pulse on any of it is what I think is ridiculous. I appreciate the input and it makes for some fun, but the idea that it plays out like the Subway Race they play at Yankee Stadium with one train pulling ahead, then another, the back to second, then third place comes up seems seems far fetched that guys would actually have a real beat on it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do football fans even remember what its like to win a game or actually have expectations for the team outside of: "I sure hope we don't get blown out this game". Drop Football Now!
Apparently you are unaware of the pageantry and beauty that was this years URI game.

Do basketball fans remember what it was like to be a NCAA tourney team?

Drop Basketball Now!!

(Note my second exclamation point which is double the emphasis of your paltry single exclamation point.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can read between the lines here:

“They recruit hard,” Oak Hill Academy head coach Steve Smith said of the Illinois staff. “I know Coach Antigua pretty well. He was at Kentucky and South Florida, and he recruited at Oak Hill. He probably told Coach Underwood: ‘Hey, we can recruit those guys at Oak Hill.’ He does a great job and their staff does.”
Seriously. I read nothing into that at all. And I thought I was a cynic.

Reaction Score
OK last time Illl say it then I won’t mention it again- I still can’t believe he chose Illinois! this whole board should be absolutely shocked - I still can’t wrap my head around why he would go there -unless it’s something strange and shady we don’t know about - to be fair , there’s always surprising commitments and decommitments , but this one is definitely a head scratcher - I’m not saying he should’ve come to UConn but Illinois ? I’m still waiting for somebody to explain it to me so it makes sense in my head. This is by far one of the most surprising recruiting choices involving Uconn I’ve seen in a long time. Ok I’m done. I’ll let it go.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
OK last time Illl say it then I won’t mention it again- I still can’t believe he chose Illinois! this whole board should be absolutely shocked - I still can’t wrap my head around why he would go there -unless it’s something strange and shady we don’t know about - to be fair , there’s always surprising commitments and decommitments , but this one is definitely a head scratcher - I’m not saying he should’ve come to UConn but Illinois ? I’m still waiting for somebody to explain it to me so it makes sense in my head. This is by far one of the most surprising recruiting choices involving Uconn I’ve seen in a long time. Ok I’m done. I’ll let it go.

Kofi Cockburn doesn’t look at the world the same way you do. In general, 18-year-old kids don’t look at the world the same way as diehard UConn fans who have loved the Huskies for many years. How is that so hard to understand?

Reaction Score
Seriously. I read nothing into that at all. I i thought i was a cynic

reading between the lines:

"He was at Kentucky (and paid players) and South Florida (and paid players) and he recruited at Oak Hill (because he paid the players). He probably told Coach Underwood: Hey we can recruit those guys at Oak Hill (because he will keep paying the players at illinois too)."

Reaction Score
If u saw what I posted , I stated that I understand if he didn’t chose uconn. To me it’s more shocking as to who he chose over us. Illinois is prolly one of the top 10 weakest/worst teams of the power fives. I think people keep misunderstanding The view point on the Illinois choice. I understand recruiting is constantly fluid and these kids go to strange places sometimes but I’m still waiting for somebody to tell me what could possibly be a reason why he went to Illinois. From kofi’s standpoint: I’m waiting .... Again I’m not sour grapes because he didnt come to Uconn -,just because I question the strange choice of Illinois that suddenly means that if he didn’t come to Uconn I can’t wrap my head around it ? no not at all and that’s not what I’m saying

Reaction Score
Apparently you are unaware of the pa gentry and beauty that was this years URI game.

Do basketball fans remember what it was like to be a NCAA tourney team?

Drop Basketball Now!!

(Note my second exclamation point which double the emphasis of your paltry single exclamation point.)

Yeah, 2016 we beat Colorado then lost to Kansas in Des Monies.

When was the last UConn Football bowl wins or frankly just a win?

Drop Football Now!!!

Reaction Score
Paesano would do well to realize that people would take his claims more seriously if he didn’t accuse every recruit who goes elsewhere of being on the take.

Seriously, do these people really think bribery is the only thing that could keep a kid from committing to UConn?
Stop being dishonest. I have not said that about every recruit. Time is proving me right about everyone I did accuse, however. Just how short is your attention span. FBI ring a bell?

Reaction Score
When bill self left illinois' for Kansas, ESPN called it a lateral move. Today, it would not be.

Sorry but kansas has never and will never be a lateral move from Illinois and I'm one of the very few here who defended Illinois program and said people here were selling their history short.

That would be like saying going from the Baltimore Orioles to the New York Yankees is a lateral move.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yeah, 2016 we beat Colorado then lost to Kansas in Des Monies.

When was the last UConn Football bowl wins or frankly just a win?

Drop Football Now!!!

Bye, UConn hater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member