KO | The Boneyard

KO

Reaction Score
A few things I'd like for KO to change. Perception is huge and these things go along those lines:

1) The "whiny face" look, which I know is probably hard to change. But to be upset about something, whether it's a play a kid made or didn't make or a refs call, sitting between Chill and Kill wit the look isn't becoming of any coach it needs to go. Also not good for the kids on the bench to see that rather than up and fighting.

2) 75-80% of the time he needs to coach line to line (coaching lines) and keep the troops fired up. They most definitely react better to his passion being out in front of them and it shows. If you don't want to stand or move anymore get on one knee but be out in front to show who the HC is.

3) Refs do need more of your inner thoughts on calls, we even seemed to get treated like Monmouth was the home team yesterday. Within reason, it's really time to not be their friends during the game, bring the inner JC out on occasion let them know we are UConn, not taking their ticky tack BS. I mean a crucial steal by Jalen yesterday and they somehow called a foul, that guy needs to know you are VERY unhappy with that call at a critical juncture of a game. No T mind you, but right to the edge. You will get the next call if you do so.

...and 4) Would love to see more "coaching as they come out" with this young team. They are going to make mistakes and you are mad at them, but they may need a pat on the back as well as a reason why you are yanking them. Polley it would seem needs that from looking at him. I'm not KO and maybe he knows them better, but they came here because of you so maybe it's time to help them in game, keep the confidence. I know when they come out immediately it may no the the right time, but after play beings again get down the bench and get on a knee and let them know what went on.

These are only opinions and things I think as I watch a game, he knows better than me and as you know I like KO a lot. Lord knows he needs to improve and is trying, just thinking some of these things from a players perspective as well as a fans.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
In regards to your #4, I think Kill does a good job of that, he is always teaching when guys come out especially the younger guys.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In other words, you want to see more energy and effort from him—just like he, and we, want to see from the team.

Did you notice how both he and the team started each half yesterday with increased intensity, and then both fell off at around the same time each half? Coincidence? I think not.

Reaction Score
Mau, when you add the perceptions to the substantive (the latter well-documented on other threads), you have the complete indictment. And I submit that the perceptions you list raise doubt that he is really trying. I like KO, too, but not as a coach of college basketball.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
A few things I'd like for KO to change. Perception is huge and these things go along those lines:

1) The "whiny face" look, which I know is probably hard to change. But to be upset about something, whether it's a play a kid made or didn't make or a refs call, sitting between Chill and Kill wit the look isn't becoming of any coach it needs to go. Also not good for the kids on the bench to see that rather than up and fighting.

2) 75-80% of the time he needs to coach line to line (coaching lines) and keep the troops fired up. They most definitely react better to his passion being out in front of them and it shows. If you don't want to stand or move anymore get on one knee but be out in front to show who the HC is.

3) Refs do need more of your inner thoughts on calls, we even seemed to get treated like Monmouth was the home team yesterday. Within reason, it's really time to not be their friends during the game, bring the inner JC out on occasion let them know we are UConn, not taking their ticky tack BS. I mean a crucial steal by Jalen yesterday and they somehow called a foul, that guy needs to know you are VERY unhappy with that call at a critical juncture of a game. No T mind you, but right to the edge. You will get the next call if you do so.

...and 4) Would love to see more "coaching as they come out" with this young team. They are going to make mistakes and you are mad at them, but they may need a pat on the back as well as a reason why you are yanking them. Polley it would seem needs that from looking at him. I'm not KO and maybe he knows them better, but they came here because of you so maybe it's time to help them in game, keep the confidence. I know when they come out immediately it may no the the right time, but after play beings again get down the bench and get on a knee and let them know what went on.

These are only opinions and things I think as I watch a game, he knows better than me and as you know I like KO a lot. Lord knows he needs to improve and is trying, just thinking some of these things from a players perspective as well as a fans.

I would like to add that the crowd let the officials know what we thought about some calls, and then we started to get a few calls / no calls

At least that's what it looked like to me being at the game and without replays :)

Reaction Score

Mau, this has been his biggest weakness in my opinion. And I think it goes with an overall theme that he's just too nice in general. JC was a master at working refs, to the point where some of us fans even wish he'd give it a rest some games, lol. Take the Columbia game for example, during a very critical possession, their player went flying through the air and got the fall call. Replay showed he was never touched.

On another late possession, Jalen got called for palming after he'd been doing it all game because Columbia's coach told the refs to watch for it. Two important calls against us at a critical juncture of the game. Under JC, some season we routinely MADE more free throws than the other team attempted, now we're often attempting far less than the opposing team. I don't know how he changes his personality but if he wants to remain a head coach, he needs to improve significantly in this area.

Reaction Score
Mau, when you add the perceptions to the substantive (the latter well-documented on other threads), you have the complete indictment. And I submit that the perceptions you list raise doubt that he is really trying. I like KO, too, but not as a coach of college basketball.

I like KO as my coach but has a lot to improve upon. He didn't win the NC by not being able to coach but what since then has he lost, or not improved on?

C

Chief00

I would like to add that the crowd let the officials know what we thought about some calls, and then we started to get a few calls / no calls

At least that's what it looked like to me being at the game and without replays :)
Totally agreed - the crowd gave the refs more feedback than KO. I think if he went up to the technical line, the players would know he had their back too.
I know KO won’t work the refs like JC but he is basically giving up the home court advantage.
The one game we got the calls was against Oregon - maybe more laid back out there or perhaps it was the driving to the hoop?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I like KO as my coach but has a lot to improve upon. He didn't win the NC by not being able to coach but what since then has he lost, or not improved on?
Shooters and rebounding. You need both to win. Shooters need to be identified and recruited. Chill will do that. You can’t win consistently shooting 35% and being “UConn tough”.
On the offensive rebounding last night for the first time I saw some effort - but he is only now sending one guy. JC would send 2-4 and still get back on defense.

Reaction Score
Mau he has lost that passion for coaching like when he got thrown out of the Louisville game for challenging a call. Ever since the divorce he has been a very subdued coach. I'm sorry I don't see KO lasting past this year with the talent he is recruiting presently. I mean KW shouldn't even be on the bench of this team. We need more shooters for sure. KO just isn't a system builder like JC was and doesn't seem to posses that talent of getting the right players into our program. This will be his downfall. Mike Davis was a decent coach but he couldn't sustain it. I KO's fate being the same.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see KO call more strategic timeouts mid game when necessary. There's no reason to let a scoring drought languish for 7 minutes. He needs to call the TO and reset the team to affect confidence, strategy, momentum, fatigue, etc. JC was really effective at this, and he called them when he needed to, before the game had a chance to get away from them. Unfortunately, I see KO shaking his head and making faces while the kids are struggling for minutes on end. Basketball can be a game of momentum (especially with this group) and we often burn valuable minutes. Call the TO and coach them up and/or light a fire under their asses.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I guess all of you missed the warning he got from the ref for his exuberance on the sideline. It came from the same ref who made those phantom foul calls on our players that even Tim Welsh questioned. That ref is a p rick and retaliatory. I'm convinced this is not the time, given this teams fragility, to have KO in the locker room. You are correct. The entire team's energy decreased after that. But we're foisting the blame on the wrong dude in this situation.

KO does talk to his players when they come to the bench. Just not always.

Hate the scowl. It reminds me of the whiners in this forum every time I see it. It won't change. Same with the dudes in this forum.

C

Chief00

I guess all of you missed the warning he got from the ref for his exuberance on the sideline. It came from the same ref who made those phantom foul calls on our players that even Tim Welsh questioned. That ref is a p rick and retaliatory. I'm convinced this is not the time, given this teams fragility, to have KO in the locker room. You are correct. The entire team's energy decreased after that. But we're foisting the blame on the wrong dude in this situation.

Hate the scowl. It reminds me of the whiners in this forum every time I see it. It won't change. Same with the dudes in this forum.
I saw the warning too. JC would get a variety of warnings many games and it wouldn’t fundamentally impact his coaching. KO obviously needed to adjust after that warning - but it seems he does a total 180 degree change. He needs to find that sweet spot.

Reaction Score

Hmm, so foisting is a real thing, I thought it was just a Curb Your Enthusiasm thing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch Rooks’s interview with KO after the game when she asked him what kind of leader Jalen is? Jalen was standing right there so it was kind of awkward because of course KO is going to praise him, but it seemed to me he was almost damning him with faint praise, saying something to the effect of “Jalen is a good leader but we want him to be a great leader.”

Thought that was interesting.

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch Rooks’s interview with KO after the game when she asked him what kind of leader Jalen is? Jalen was standing right there so it was kind of awkward because of course KO is going to praise him, but it seemed to me he was almost damning him with faint praise, saying something to the effect of “Jalen is a good leader but we want him to be a great leader.”

Absolutely, I took it the same way you did.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

That’s right out of JC’s playbook.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I saw the warning too. JC would get a variety of warnings many games and it wouldn’t fundamentally impact his coaching. KO obviously needed to adjust after that warning - but it seems he does a total 180 degree change. He needs to find that sweet spot.
In general I agree. But not with that ref. Incident was over a turnover caused by UConn. KO was in the coaches box jumping up and down excited by the play. Ref was upset he couldn’t get by KO.

It was not an incident that should have caused a warning.

Reaction Score

Agreed but on #4 they showed him having a long conversation with Polley during a break.

pj

Reaction Score

If that's the complete indictment -- that since the divorce he's lost his passion for coaching, and isn't "ten toes in" -- then what's to say he can't recover his passion and become "eleven toes in"? We don't want to give up too soon on a guy who could become a great coach.

Reaction Score
Terrific post Mau. I agree his team need him to go all out for 40. I’ve seen KO coach like he’s a sixth man out on the court and the team has feed off that. He doesn’t do that nearly enough. Especially in the “supposed to win” games. I expect him to be much more involved (especially if we are in it) for Syracuse because of the stature of the game.

Reaction Score
Agreed but on #4 they showed him having a long conversation with Polley during a break.

I missed that and could miss a few I guess as TV doesn’t go to the bench much but I’m glad to hear about the Polleys conversation. Thx

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Indictment/not trying
Yeah
JSMH

Reaction Score
I missed that and could miss a few I guess as TV doesn’t go to the bench much but I’m glad to hear about the Polleys conversation. Thx
Polley took a quick shot from the corner with typical recent Polley results. KO was shown talking to him about it during the next TO.

Reaction Score
If that's the complete indictment -- that since the divorce he's lost his passion for coaching, and isn't "ten toes in" -- then what's to say he can't recover his passion and become "eleven toes in"? We don't want to give up too soon on a guy who could become a great coach.
This is the ideal scenario but KO has to be open to getting help in areas he's not strong with. Specifically, a guy who can be the offensive coordinator of sorts. He needs to get better at developing talent, working refs and being much more creative with offensive sets. If not, he'll never be a "great coach".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom