KO Making Progress | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO Making Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His attorney would never be hired by me.

But my position is clear: UCONN took the harsh posture that they are UCONN ... and they didn't need to concede nor find the the resolution. pumped the Media. The NCAA processing. ADs and Presidents since Calhoun left have acted accordingly. There are other important stakeholders that were ignored.

since you brought it up: ask yourself WHY this is unlike 20 other Major CBB programs pushing/firing a coach? Can you find a comparable?

And on a personal level ... you're a twit
So you made your point. To add your last sentence makes you out to be silly & foolish = " twit" you would of been better off to omit that personally.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the attorney sucked and took a hard public posture. We don't know the back and forth:
But you previously assured us that UConn refused to negotiate with Ollie. Now you state that you don't know the back and forth? Well, I guess that is progress... of a sort.
Ollie is in an awful position.
Violating rules, repeatedly lying your employer about that and then lying to a regulating agency about it tends to put people in "an awful position." Life is funny like that.
I am willing to bet, in future Capital campaign raising ... we lost more than $1m in donations.
Lol, ... and your authority for that proposition is... what exactly?

Reaction Score
give him the credit due. He played the schedule that was put together by a NCAA committee. We - at UCONN - know how friendly some of those venues can be to some. MSG was fortuitous; but it is not like a bunch of places we lost over 30 years.

He played Shabazz + Boat perfectly; won with Nolan inside; Giffey played wonderfully. All roles strategized by Ollie.

He should have had far better institutional recruiting and other college head coaching on the resume. He was raised to that position ... by? We all know.

You all are still avoiding the point: UCONN didn't want to pay him. Your opinion doesn't move me. I want Ray Allen to think the University dealt fairly with Kevin. Donny Marshall etc
I know MSG was very friendly. Just as Greensboro was unfriendly when we played UNC. And Oakland was against UCLA. And that season was one of those where there wasn’t a really dominant team out there as we and Duke were in 1999 or we were in 2004. Ollie pushed the right buttons and very well might have been a terrific ASSISTANT in helping to develop the guards.

Frankly I don’t much care what Donny Marshall or Ray Allen have to say. Their opinion is they are standing with their friend. I’ve heard from a fairly reliable source that Ollie was given a “fair” offer to go away and it was more than 10 cents on the dollar. He wanted the full $10 million and wouldn’t budge. He got nothing as a result. Not sure that’s accurate, but I’ve heard it more than once. And further, you can make light of his violations all you want, but coaches rarely get show cause restrictions except for very serious breaches. This wasn’t giving a player a grilled cheese sandwich or bus fare to visit granny in the hospital. You don’t get effectively banned from coaching a college team for 3 years for that.

You like the guy. I think he wrecked the flagship program and cheated while doing it. I’m glad he’s gone. I think he got a fair offer and got greedy. With the building program currently going on within the Athletic complex I’m thinking that the somebody is donating. Maybe not the guys who didn’t want to donate to the practice facility either.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
His attorney would never be hired by me.

But my position is clear: UCONN took the harsh posture that they are UCONN ... and they didn't need to concede nor find the the resolution. pumped the Media. The NCAA processing. ADs and Presidents since Calhoun left have acted accordingly. There are other important stakeholders that were ignored.

since you brought it up: ask yourself WHY this is unlike 20 other Major CBB programs pushing/firing a coach? Can you find a comparable?

And on a personal level ... you're a twit

I found at least one sentence here that’s factual.

Pro tip: Sanctimonious thread derailer comin’ fo ya!

Reaction Score
let's play contrarian

OUR school, while hurting from a number of financial setbacks in sports, decided NOT to honor a contract. You can say rule violations + this and that ... but in 10 other cases most of us can cite, NCAA coaches did far worse and got paid. We didn't pay him because of our sour situation. And Yes .,.. I would be pissed and hire the best attorney. The school has not tried, in any meaningful way, to achieve a resolution. For ONE thing, we all should think, this has placed a cloud over a 35 year period of Men's BB that should be nothing but rainbow heaven. Important past players are not happy. I say we should have found a mediation point.

And then let go with your bleeting.
Ollie turned down a compromise offer from UCONN.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve heard from a fairly reliable source that Ollie was given a “fair” offer to go away and it was more than 10 cents on the dollar. He wanted the full $10 million and wouldn’t budge. He got nothing as a result. Not sure that’s accurate, but I’ve heard it more than once.
That is my understanding as well. Then KO's attorneys decision to release their FOIA request to the press, which resulted in the press making an identical request, and the opportunity for quiet negotiation evaporated. It was a bad unforced error.

Reaction Score
as noted ... the attorney sucked and took a hard public posture. We don't know the back and forth: Ollie is in an awful position.

But I bet Ray Allen and others implored senior voices to find a solution. And I am willing to bet, in future Capital campaign raising ... we lost more than $1m in donations.
Your initial assertion was that UConn could have settled this for 10 cents on the dollar. It looks like you have now backed far away from that stance. Again, your position is built on very faulty logic.

Reaction Score
That is my understanding as well. Then KO's attorneys decision to release their FOIA request to the press, which resulted in the press making an identical request, and the opportunity for quiet negotiation evaporated. It was a bad unforced error.
Interesting, so it played out exactly how one would expect it to play out (UConn leveraged a contractual provision that Ollie violated to try to quietly negotiate a reduced buyout). That would be entirely too logical for Pudge apparently.

CL82

Reaction Score
Interesting, so it played out exactly how one would expect it to play out (UConn leveraged a contractual provision that Ollie violated to try to quietly negotiate a reduced buyout). That would be entirely too logical for Pudge apparently.
I'd phrase it differently, but yeah. I'd say UConn was willing to pay higher than the nuisance value of the suit to have a clean termination. Kevin was not, at least initially, amenable to settlement at less than the full amount of the contract and once KO's attorneys (probably inadvertently) dropped a shitbomb in the press, Kevin lost what little bargaining power he had.

But take that all with a grain of salt since it is not public information.

Reaction Score
I've already shown you that this is not true. Why do you persist?
Because he was generally there. Year 1 and 2. He was there at home games and the practices I saw. True, he may have miss some due to medical, family or other conflicts. He did not stay the entire practice either but he certainly saw enough to know enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your initial assertion was that UConn could have settled this for 10 cents on the dollar. It looks like you have now backed far away from that stance. Again, your position is built on very faulty logic.

Math seems easy. If his buyout is $11m ... then $1m is what?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What happens to this model when the kids have to pay the KO tax on their first NBA checks?

Reaction Score
Chief wasn’t in the room but it was more like 25 cents on a dollar from what I heard.

Reaction Score
So again I ask, is your assertion really that Ollie would have been okay with $1M but the University would not have? That’s what your argument rests on and it seems totally implausible and at odds with the rumors a couple of posters have brought up.

CL82

Reaction Score
A generous offer that he should have jumped on?

Reaction Score
If he said no to that, screw 'im.
That was then and now I think that money has long been off the table. I think it’s closer to zero now but never underestimate litigation costs. @CL8 was right the FOI’s card backfired. Additionally, why he did not try harder to settle before the NCAA hammer came down and the appeal of it - I don’t know other than he really made a poor assessment of the merits of the case. After those rulings he had little leverage and they already aired the dirty laundry card. The bottom line is he couldn’t coach UConn during that 3 year period even if UConn wanted him to.
Interesting question - how does the NCAA feel about a school paying a coach during a 3 year non coaching ban - kind of defeats, to some extent, the punitive purpose of the ban ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#