Knowing what you know now, what would you choose? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Knowing what you know now, what would you choose?

Reaction Score
Hoo boy, tough call.

Give it up for a roll of the dice? Probably not.

Give it up if we hire a nationally-recognized coach that has this team regularly in the Top 25 and sometimes a real contender and not an embarrassment? I'd give that strong consideration.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Ollie had any better chance of winning that NC than anybody else would. So I’d go in a different direction. But then, I didn’t want Ollie in 2012 and said so. He was grossly unqualified for the job.

It’s a moot point. We are where we are. Looking back helps nothing.

People complained about that 2014 team all year. Some people here totally disappeared after they won it.

As for who has a better CHANCE of winning, you may be right. But the point is to win, and they did. It's a very difficult thing to do unless you ave all the advantages (Duke).

It's not a moot point. Your first sentence shows that on any redo, chances are they don't win. So, the question is, go another way or VERY LIKELY do not come anywhere close to winning, or take 2014 plus the years that followed.

Reaction Score
I think you hire Ollie to the seven month contract, then give him the first extension at the end of the season, then no more extentions, he wins the championship and either gets poached or flounders in mediocrity until that contract ran out and we could get someone good in for these past couple of years

What do you think would draw people to an AAC school that just axed its coach a year after an NC? Not many good ones.

Reaction Score
To those saying it's crazy to return a NC. Ask yourself this:

"What has the 2014 title done to help UConn Men's Basketball in any way in the last couple years?"

Never had a program been so bad at capitalizing on success of the highest level. Our worst years seem to come after our title runs.

You noobs act like it's easy to win a championship.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Larrier could very well graduate and transfer elsewhere. And it's become pretty clear he doesn't give a about UConn so I could see him go if he really doesn't like what he hears about his pro prospects.

He's not going anywhere but pro somewhere. He'd easily have a spot in the G League or Europe.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

"What has the 2014 title done to help UConn Men's Basketball in any way in the last couple years?"

Never had a program been so bad at capitalizing on success of the highest level. Our worst years seem to come after our title runs.

Realistically, that's because you lose all those guys who got you there. And the pipeline might be a little dry as kids these days don't seem to want to back up more experienced players. Add to the recruiting sanctions for the last one.

All that said, no excuse for what has happened since. I expected a couple of 'down' years, not terrible, but definitely down. I expected a strong upward trajectory however, with improvement from all involved.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I wouldn't give up the 4th championship for anything, but only because I was so happy for guys like Bazz and Boat who absolutely busted their asses and refused to lose.

Especially for all those guys who came back when they didn't have to.

Reaction Score
What do you think would draw people to an AAC school that just axed its coach a year after an NC? Not many good ones.
I think most people would be willing to work for $2M per year. Obviously not KO who has refused to do many parts of his job for a few years, but that is real money to a lot of people. Also I don't suggest firing him right after the championship, but he shouldn't be extended with big raises for missed tournaments or eeking out a first round win

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think some people don’t appreciate how mind-numbingly crazy it is to have experienced four national championships in your prime fanship years and how incredibly rare that is. I wouldn’t trade that for just about anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think some people don’t appreciate how mind-numbingly crazy it is to have experienced four national championships in your prime fanship years and how incredibly rare that is. I wouldn’t trade that for just about anything.

I’d trade 2 of them for an invite to the ACC.

I’m not quite ready to retire from fanship.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People complained about that 2014 team all year. Some people here totally disappeared after they won it.

As for who has a better CHANCE of winning, you may be right. But the point is to win, and they did. It's a very difficult thing to do unless you ave all the advantages (Duke).

It's not a moot point. Your first sentence shows that on any redo, chances are they don't win. So, the question is, go another way or VERY LIKELY do not come anywhere close to winning, or take 2014 plus the years that followed.

It isn’t possible so it is a moot point. Plus, I’d assume that on any redo time restarts, so we wouldn’t be guaranteed a win with Ollie. Thus are the laws of time travel.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’d trade 2 of them for an invite to the ACC.

I’m not quite ready to retire from fanship.
I’m not ready to retire either but I don’t know if the ACC is the answer long term. What I do know is that four is a lot rarer than three, which is a lot rarer than two.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lmao at "I don't know if the ACC is the answer long term." I didn't think it was possible to be more out of touch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lmao at "I don't know if the ACC is the answer long term." I didn't think it was possible to be more out of touch.
As opposed to the Big Ten? That was my point. Better than the AAC, yes. Not better than the Big Ten for us though imo. Not sure whether the P5 becomes the P4 at some point and the ACC is the next to be absorbed. Maybe you have a better crystal ball but I sure as hell haven’t wasted my time watching key tweets so please enlighten me if something has changed.

A bit odd to see how much space I’m occupying in your mind though. Good to see that BU has not waned in its inferiority complex after all these years.

Reaction Score
It isn’t possible so it is a moot point. Plus, I’d assume that on any redo time restarts, so we wouldn’t be guaranteed a win with Ollie. Thus are the laws of time travel.

Ollie won it. Almost anyone else would not have. BECAUSE I agree with your first sentence.

Reaction Score
I think most people would be willing to work for $2M per year. Obviously not KO who has refused to do many parts of his job for a few years, but that is real money to a lot of people. Also I don't suggest firing him right after the championship, but he shouldn't be extended with big raises for missed tournaments or eeking out a first round win

Schools that do this kind of thing end up like Tennessee. They get a very bad rep in the coaching community. So sure you hire some guy who is not making much because he gets a big raise, but if you want to aim higher, you've got a bad rep.

Also, I didn't say right after. I said a year after. That's when he was extended.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
As opposed to the Big Ten? That was my point. Better than the AAC, yes. Not better than the Big Ten for us though imo. Not sure whether the P5 becomes the P4 at some point and the ACC is the next to be absorbed. Maybe you have a better crystal ball but I sure as hell haven’t wasted my time watching key tweets so please enlighten me if something has changed.

A bit odd to see how much space I’m occupying in your mind though. Good to see that BU has not waned in its inferiority complex after all these years.
You don't take up space in my head you fool, your comment is literally right below and above my posts in this thread. Copying other people's comments and jokes is just the "out of touch" icing on the cake too.

I am simply astounded by how someone can understand so little about both the game and the landscape it's being played in simultaneously, so much so that he can somehow be a mod on a forum dedicated to both.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Ollie had any better chance of winning that NC than anybody else would. So I’d go in a different direction. But then, I didn’t want Ollie in 2012 and said so. He was grossly unqualified for the job.

It’s a moot point. We are where we are. Looking back helps nothing.

Have to disagree here he won the championship and there’s no way in hell we can tell if even JC would’ve pulled it off. And that 20-10 season his first showed he was qualified as well. But the bar hasn’t been raised in his favor since those 2 years and he now doesn’t look as if he can handle getting the train back on the tracks. Something went severely wrong and it’s too bad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You don't take up space in my head you fool, your comment is literally right below and above my posts in this thread. Copying other people's comments and jokes is just the "out of touch" icing on the cake too.

I am simply astounded by how someone can understand so little about both the game and the landscape it's being played in simultaneously, so much so that he can somehow be a mod on a forum dedicated to both.
Wow, you’re wrong about everything. Again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You'd have to rip that 4th NC from my cold, dead hands.

THIS!

Anyone who answered that they would trade the championship really has no understanding of how rare and extremely difficult it is to win one. It is freaking insanely difficult. And at UConn, it's all that matters. Even our recruits comment about how they like that we only brag about our championships with our banners, while other schools hang Sweet Sixteen flags from their rafters (Kisunas).

Don't marginalize that 2014 accomplishment, folks. It was one of the greatest moments in all of college basketball history...

Reaction Score

It hasn’t helped the program. Ollie capitalized in his contracts that’s for sure. The fans got one hell of s show.

That magic run as a 7 seed winning as an underdog game after game was amazing. What Shabazz accomplished will never be forgotten. That was made of the stuff sport fans dream of. Would never give back for anything.

Reaction Score
Ain't nothing better than us closing the 'One Shining Moment' videos.

That's videos not video.

We are UConn!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
CCNY once won national championships in basketball and Yale won 27 football national championships. Things changed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom