KML | The Boneyard

KML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rosemary will have her up and gunning in no time. I don't see the staff rushing anything with an easier schedule lined up and the current squad putting in work. If shes back in time for the Duke game, they better watch out, if not... ill be happy to wait to triple clap on every one of her made threes come March/April

Reaction Score
I was thinking they will keep her out until the Duke game as well as between now and then it should not be that bad... but one of my co-workers was saying she thinks she might be out the rest of the season. I hope not

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not a doctor, but I was somewhat surprised to see the serious arm brace and sling she was wearing - lots of protection for the elbow and immobilizing of the joint. That is a little more serious than I hoped, suggesting there is some real concern with anything that might inflame the nerve. Early days and all, but I was hoping she would already be in something a little less restrictive. If it is really being kept that immobile she may have a fair amount of atrophy in her arm muscles.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Can't really judge what is or isn't serious by the size of the brace. KML to be reevaluated when they're home... remember what John culled:
What will Rosemary do for Kaleena. I have no idea. But….

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines: Ibuprofen helps reduce swelling around the nerve.

Steroid injections. Cortisone, considered a steroid, is very effective, but generally not around the ulnar because of risk of damage to the nerve.

Bracing or splinting. If you see Kaleena on television tonight, you will see her right arm in a brace, supported by a large pad to keep the elbow straight.

Nerve gliding exercises. There are exercises which help the ulnar nerve slide through the cubital tunnel at the elbow. These exercises may also help keep the arm and wrist from getting stiff.

Read more: http://foxct.com/2013/11/15/kml-nerve-contusion-in-elbow-to-be-re-evaluated-next-week/#ixzz2l4P0RC8a

Reaction Score
As someone who suffers from nerve damage I can speak to this injury and its care. You definitely want to protect it. Nerve tissue is the only tissue in the human body that does not heal/regrow. When it has been compromised it is utmost important to protect it as much as possible to prevent any further damage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As someone who suffers from nerve damage I can speak to this injury and its care. You definitely want to protect it. Nerve tissue is the only tissue in the human body that does not heal/regrow. When it has been compromised it is utmost important to protect it as much as possible to prevent any further damage.
It is not accurate to say that nerves do not heal. The central nervous system is limited healing due to glial cells inhibiting the process of axon regeneration thus limiting healing but the peripheral nervous system certainly does regenerate because the class of Schwann glial cells there do not exhibit axon inhibition of regeneration and aid production of myelin. Current research into nerve regeneration centers around how glial cells interrupt the healing process because regeneration in the central nervous system does begin but then halts.

The ulnar nerve is part of the peripheral nervous system and does/should indeed heal.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It is not accurate to say that nerves do not heal. The central nervous system is limited healing due to glial cells inhibiting the process of axon regeneration thus limiting healing but the peripheral nervous system certainly does regenerate because the class of Schwann glial cells there do not exhibit axon inhibition of regeneration and aid production of myelin. Current research into nerve regeneration centers around how glial cells interrupt the healing process because regeneration in the central nervous system does begin but then halts.

The ulnar nerve is part of the peripheral nervous system and does/should indeed heal.

Now there's somebody that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express - or knows how to Google. :)

Reaction Score
It took me about half a year to fully recover from a similar injury. Based on pain alone, my injury while diagnosed the same would seem to be much less severe than Mosqueda-Lewis's. It's certainly possible she won't pick up a ball again this season (at least not using her shooting arm), but perhaps she's a faster healer since she's a good decade younger than me. The only thing that heals it is time, so it's quite unpredictable, but definitely not something to play with if you're less than 100%.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Now there's somebody that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express - or knows how to Google. :)
No, I had a member who became a paraplegic in a motorcycle accident. Went through a lot with him and his family. Did a lot of research through the Christopher Reeve Foundation back then and the Buoniconti Foundation at the time. Knowing what could and couldn't heal at the time was a matter of clinging to hope and motivation for rehab. Most of it was pulled out of my files from then. Similar information is likely available on line today. Research has continued so it may be dated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A "like" for using multiple words I'd never seen before (forget not knowing the meaning of). Heck, I'm not even sure what part of speech they are.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Puke is more likely but not guaranteed. an Ulnar Nerve Contusion can take up to 6 weeks to heal completely.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

The ulnar nerve is part of the peripheral nervous system and does/should indeed heal.[/quotIce

Ice…spent my entire research life on that exact topic. Excellent overview.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice…spent my entire research life on that exact topic. Excellent overview.
Thanks, Oz, when you spend your life in and out of hospitals with families you get the dangerous part of a medical education. Enough to know things but not always what it means. Glad to know I was still close to accurate.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

I can add my personal experience to what Ice bear is saying, however I don't kn0w all the medical jargon. I had a tendon in my foot repaired in 2009. It was shredded from years of abuse, and the Surgeon basically bundled it back together. To get to the tendon, the Surgeon had to cut through a network of nerves in my foot. You would not believe how many nerves are in the foot, it's like a root system. After surgery, I had tingling in my foot where the nerves had been cut. The Surgeon said it would go away eventually, but he couldn't guarantee 100% repair. Well, the nerves did eventually repair themselves, but it took the better part of a year.

All that being said, here's my non-medical two cents, which is about what it's worth. My gut is telling me KML's injury is more serious than we might think, because this is her shooting elbow. Despite the fact that KML makes it look easy, shooting a basketball consistently from over 20 feet away is very complicated, and takes a lot of practice. (And that's for people with an elbow that's 100%) It will take time for her to get her shooting touch back even under the best of circumstances.

Which path is worse, KML misses the entire season ( which would make her eligible for an extra year), or KML comes back too early ( being the competitor that she is) , and although she adds a lot of other attributes to the team, is ineffective with her three point shooting? IOW, she comes back too early. I know KML is surrounded by the best support staff, but it has happened to the best people. ( Although I can't think of an example right now.)

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out for the best. I hate to see any athlete have to suffer through any injury that prevents them from doing the activity that they love and excel at.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What I'm hoping for is that by season's end, what will be in Kaleena's arm is not atrophy, but a trophy!

he%20sees%20what%20you%20did%20there.jpg

Reaction Score

P can only repeat what I was told by the neurology team at Mass. General when I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri this past winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom