KLS's Balanced Offensive Arsenal | The Boneyard

KLS's Balanced Offensive Arsenal

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
I'd submit that anyone watching D1 WCBB these days cannot possibly fail to be impressed by how multi-dimensional KLS's offensive arsenal has become: cuts, drives, post-ups, mid-range jumpers, and, of course, the 3-pt. shot. To get a quantitative feel of this balance and see how it stacks up against her competition, I calculated a simple ratio (R) of points scored outside the arc to points scored inside the arc (inclusive of FTs) for each of the 30 players on the Naismith watch list. R has a theoretical lower bound of zero (no 3 points) and a theoretical upper bound of infinity (all 3 points), with unity indicating a perfect balance between points scored outside and inside the arc. I then computed the absolute value of the deviation of R from unity for each of the players and tabulated the results below in ascending order (all calculations are based on latest posted statistics through 2/18):

Samuelson 0.045
Nurse 0.059
Durr 0.060
Mitchell 0.172
Ionescu 0.200
Flaherty 0.220
Cunningham 0.431
McCarty 0.439
Brown L. 0.507
Vivians 0.620
Canada 0.624
Atkins 0.630
Ogunbowale 0.707
Carter 0.719
McPhee 0.763
Nared 0.824
Collier 0.865
Anigwe 0.956
Charles 0.968
Hines-Allen 0.969
Wilson 0.973
Billings 1.000
Brown K. 1.000
Gulich 1.000
Gustafson 1.000
Hebarb 1.000
McCowan 1.000
Russell 1.000
Thomas 1.000
Williams 1.000

The above tabulation speaks for itself: Samuelson leads the pack in terms of the balance of points scored between outside and inside the arc, followed closely by Nurse and Durr. One interesting finding I'd note from this simple-minded exercise is that Kia happens to be the only player with a R>1 (she has proportionately more points from outside the arc than KLS!!!).

When a team has not one, but two, players who are equally proficient in scoring outside and inside the arc, it becomes rather meaningless for its opponent to even "pick the poison".

Reaction Score
I'd submit that anyone watching D1 WCBB these days cannot possibly fail to be impressed by how multi-dimensional KLS's offensive arsenal has become: cuts, drives, post-ups, mid-range jumpers, and, of course, the 3-pt. shot. To get a quantitative feel of this balance and see how it stacks up against her competition, I calculated a simple ratio (R) of points scored outside the arc to points scored inside the arc (inclusive of FTs) for each of the 30 players on the Naismith watch list. R has a theoretical lower bound of zero (no 3 points) and a theoretical upper bound of infinity (all 3 points), with unity indicating a perfect balance between points scored outside and inside the arc. I then computed the absolute value of the deviation of R from unity for each of the players and tabulated the results below in ascending order (all calculations are based on latest posted statistics through 2/18):

Samuelson 0.045
Nurse 0.059
Durr 0.060
Mitchell 0.172
Ionescu 0.200
Flaherty 0.220
Cunningham 0.431
McCarty 0.439
Brown L. 0.507
Vivians 0.620
Canada 0.624
Atkins 0.630
Ogunbowale 0.707
Carter 0.719
McPhee 0.763
Nared 0.824
Collier 0.865
Anigwe 0.956
Charles 0.968
Hines-Allen 0.969
Wilson 0.973
Billings 1.000
Brown K. 1.000
Gulich 1.000
Gustafson 1.000
Hebarb 1.000
McCowan 1.000
Russell 1.000
Thomas 1.000
Williams 1.000

The above tabulation speaks for itself: Samuelson leads the pack in terms of the balance of points scored between outside and inside the arc, followed closely by Nurse and Durr. One interesting finding I'd note from this simple-minded exercise is that Kia happens to be the only player with a R>1 (she has proportionately more points from outside the arc than KLS!!!).

When a team has not one, but two, players who are equally proficient in scoring outside and inside the arc, it becomes rather meaningless for its opponent to even "pick the poison".
I agree completely about Lou! She has truly taken her game up a few levels even from last year. A close second in that regard is CD (talking their improvement).
While I'm not a big stats guy and prefer the eye test, these #'s are a good confirmation!
Thanks for posting!
Bronx23

Reaction Score

Samuelson 0.045
Nurse 0.059
Durr 0.060
Mitchell 0.172
Ionescu 0.200
Flaherty 0.220
Cunningham 0.431
McCarty 0.439
Brown L. 0.507
Vivians 0.620
Canada 0.624
Atkins 0.630
Ogunbowale 0.707
Carter 0.719
McPhee 0.763
Nared 0.824
Collier 0.865
Anigwe 0.956
Charles 0.968
Hines-Allen 0.969
Wilson 0.973
Billings 1.000
Brown K. 1.000
Gulich 1.000
Gustafson 1.000
Hebarb 1.000
McCowan 1.000
Russell 1.000
Thomas 1.000
Williams 1.000

What other board has posters like this. The insight gained on this board is awesome.

Reaction Score
As geno said on last week's coaches show, how can kls and gabby not be in the npoy discussion? He said name 2 other players in the country that affect the game on both ends of the court as much as they do. Kls is a complete player with a basketball iq thats off the charts, and is the best player on the best team. IMO she is easily the best player in wcbb this season and should be the npoy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Knock on wood, but the most impressive thing about Lou's expanded game is that its part are so solid that they are always there. Any 3 shooter can have an off night and Lou may still have a couple of those, but the rest of the arsenal is just there all the time. As Gabby said a couple of games ago: "She's our rock,"

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As I have stated on numerous threads, I think all the big awards are somewhat influenced by big media, which basically is ESPN and it's associated affiliates. If this is the case, then our kids don't have much of a chance unless SoCar gets blown out in the SEC Tournament and Wilson has a terrible tournament. After listening to a lot of the ESPN broadcasters, who aren't broadcasting a UConn game vs anyone other than SoCar, it's Wilson's award(s) to lose.
BUT, KLS should be the NPOY and if she played average game minutes, say around 35-38, she could be one of the nation's leading scorers but alas, she is on the #1 "TEAM", to her determent. (No offense to Geno or anyone, I love how he/the staff manages his teams, just my opinion.)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
What other board has posters like this. The insight gained on this board is awesome.
I calculated the answer (A ) to your question by using an incredibly complicated and arcane formula. The answer is A=0.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From an Adamec article not on Nan's play list today:

"The University of Connecticut women's basketball team's junior All-American's aggressive approach has developed since she first arrived here but she has taken her attack mode to another level in the last month even as she deals with an injured lent ankle. It's one of the reasons that the buzz around her national Player of the Year candidacy continues to grow.

Samuelson's aggressiveness was rewarded Sunday as she completed a trio of the old-fashioned three-point plays to go along with four of her specialty, the 3-point shot. Her 27 points paced six players in double figures as No. 1 UConn routed Temple 106-45 in American Athletic Conference action before 13,110 at XL Center.

"Lou's not afraid of contact," UConn All-American Gabby Williams said. "She's been reading the defense really well and anticipating, and that's what makes her so dangerous from all areas of the court.

"You have to pick your poison. She has worked so hard on being more than just a spot-up shooter. I think she knew she had that potential when she came here, and I'm glad she is kind of in her zone now."
"With Lou's game you always see growth and her passing game this year has been absolutely incredible," UConn guard Kia Nurse said.

"My shot feels good," Samuelson added. "In practice I feel like I have been consistently doing things that I'm translating into games. I feel like I've been taking good shots and not forcing things. I've been playing and taking the shots from where they come from. I'm not too focused on scoring, but it seems like it comes more when I'm trying to just be all over the court and not looking to score."

Samuelson, Huskies keep rolling

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oh, one more thing from that article above that really tickles. It's a Did You Know?

"Katie Lou Samuelson has this habit -- not one of her best, she admits -- of when she drives to the basket and feels contact, she calls out, "And one," looking for a foul call."

It fits, doesn't it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
KLS is the best player in the country. Wilson is good but she is limited in what she can do.
I know our SC brethren will chime in on your comment but the statistic Rocky presents is pretty telling 0.973 indicates A'ja operates almost solely within the 6 foot area around the hoop, making it easier to double team her. Yes, I will also mention that if A'ja was willing to work on her passing so when teams double her, an open teammate would have a clean look at the hoop!

Reaction Score
This board very effectively operates like a 24-7 team newsletter and information clearinghouse. It is like having a subscription to a UConn WCBB all-in-one version of The Hockey News, Baseball Digest, The Ring, and Sports Illustrated.

Reaction Score
the plain truth is that KLS could be averaging 30+ points per game if that's what Geno needed her to do.........UConn's team oriented offense simply doesn't operate that way...............her game has improved markedly in every single area ..............the last person I could say that about was Stewie and she managed to win an award or two..............

Reaction Score
Oh, one more thing from that article above that really tickles. It's a Did You Know?

"Katie Lou Samuelson has this habit -- not one of her best, she admits -- of when she drives to the basket and feels contact, she calls out, "And one," looking for a foul call."

It fits, doesn't it.
Is this real? I could have sworn I heard someone shout that yesterday when she got fouled but thought I was just hearing things.

Reaction Score
KLS and Gabby are 2 of the most cerebral and mature players UConn has ever had. In a class with Sue Bird. When they comment they don't deal in superlatives or clichés, it's just common sense basketball about the way things are. And it translates into how they play, and even work together on the court. Seems like when Gabby gets the ball she's looking for Lou to get herself open. Their kind of court sense cannot be taught.

Centerstream

Reaction Score

It fits, doesn't it.
And when she drives to the basket, she tends to end up laying on the court (after her "And one"). Flopping???

Actually I think most of her "and ones" could be but aren't called. :eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seems like when Gabby gets the ball she's looking for Lou to get herself open.

She said exactly that last week.

“There are passes that you don’t think I’m going to throw but she knows I’m going to throw so she knows to keep running,” Williams said. “I’m always keeping an eye out for her, watching her run the floor and (thinking about) how I can get her open and get her more shots.”

On-court bond continues to grow between UConn All-Americans Samuelson, Williams

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is a great reminder of how Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa develop talent. I think most coaches would be happy with Lou as just a 3 point sharpshooter. Especially with her accuracy. Geno doesn't settle. With her height, Geno has pushed Lou to be a 6' 3" nightmare for any team to defend. Play her close out front and she can go by you, pass off to a teammate, run her defender off a screen and be open for the foul line jumper or a 3. Or she can just blow by her defender and drive to the hoop. Lou has become a competent defender, rebounder and a real good passer.

Lou has put in the time and the work to be the complete player she is. I think she is a better player than Wilson or Durr or Mitchell.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
To show how good a year Lou is having she is second in scoring on the team, only 17 behind Pheesa, with 5 less games played. In one of those games played (Tulsa) she only scored 3 points because of her ankle and left the game with less than 15 minutes played.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
This is a great reminder of how Geno, CD, Shea and Marissa develop talent. I think most coaches would be happy with Lou as just a 3 point sharpshooter. Especially with her accuracy. Geno doesn't settle. With her height, Geno has pushed Lou to be a 6' 3" nightmare for any team to defend. Play her close out front and she can go by you, pass off to a teammate, run her defender off a screen and be open for the foul line jumper or a 3. Or she can just blow by her defender and drive to the hoop. Lou has become a competent defender, rebounder and a real good passer.

Lou has put in the time and the work to be the complete player she is. I think she is a better player than Wilson or Durr or Mitchell.
And this is the reason that she should be seriously considered as the NPOY.
Personally I think Wilson is living off of last year's NC accolades; Durr and Mitchell are basically their team's offense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is this real? I could have sworn I heard someone shout that yesterday when she got fouled but thought I was just hearing things.

I have heard it a few times during televised games. She can be pretty loud about it. :D

Reaction Score
And this is the reason that she should be seriously considered as the NPOY.
Personally I think Wilson is living off of last year's NC accolades; Durr and Mitchell are basically their team's offense.
Great assement. A huge threat, leader, and can take over a game when she needs to but is a consummate team player and make her teammates better. Shouldn’t that be the definition of POY?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom