KLS's and Kia's True Shooting Percentage | The Boneyard

KLS's and Kia's True Shooting Percentage

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
An interesting basketball metric that is not often mentioned is the true shooting percentage (TSP) of a player (for the formula for its calculation, see True shooting percentage - Wikipedia). It is not compiled by the NCAA, but is available from Her Hoop Stats.

I did not realize that KLS's TSP is as high as 68.2% so far this season, but still only ranked 6th in the nation (Pheesa was ranked first last season at 72.2%, but is outside of the top 20 this season), until I ran across this article UConn’s Samuelson, Williams Repeat As WBCA All-Americans. Kia is ranked 9th, with a TSP of 67.8%. Both KLS and Kia bested Stephen Curry's (the top ranked player on the men's side) TSP of 67.5%.

Kia is the NDPOY, but no one besides KLS on the WBCA's AA team can match Kia's shooting potency. To leave Kia off the AA team is probably a historical voting travesty of WBCA.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Travesty? Umm, no, not a travesty. A slight or error, yes. It isn't self-evident by everyone Kia should make the WBCA team.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Travesty? Umm, no, not a travesty. A slight or error, yes. It isn't self-evident by everyone Kia should make the WBCA team.

If a player is deemed to be the best defensive player in the nation, AND is ranked 9th in the nation in shooting on the offensive side, but still does not make a 10-player AA team, I don't know how one can characterize it other than a voting travesty.

Reaction Score
An interesting basketball metric that is not often mentioned is the true shooting percentage (TSP) of a player (for the formula for its calculation, see True shooting percentage - Wikipedia). It is not compiled by the NCAA, but is available from Her Hoop Stats.

I did not realize that KLS's TSP is as high as 68.2% so far this season, but still only ranked 6th in the nation (Pheesa was ranked first last season at 72.2%, but is outside of the top 20 this season), until I ran across this article UConn’s Samuelson, Williams Repeat As WBCA All-Americans. Kia is ranked 9th, with a TSP of 67.8%. Both KLS and Kia bested Stephen Curry's (the top ranked player on the men's side) TSP of 67.5%.

Kia is the NDPOY, but no one besides KLS on the WBCA's AA team can match Kia's shooting potency. To leave Kia off the AA team is probably a historical voting travesty of WBCA.
So the True Shooting Percentage divides points scored by the sum of twice the field goals attempted plus .88 times the free throws attempted. Anybody know where the .88 comes from?

Reaction Score
Typical UConn bias. We all do love the ladies but how many people on this board have really seen a great deal of the other top ten type ladies playing? I can assure you that I haven't and I know I'm not alone. Kia is a great player in UConn's system and unselfish and tenacious so it's understandable how much she is loved and admired. That doesn't necessarily translate into All-American.

Reaction Score
If a player is deemed to be the best defensive player in the nation, AND is ranked 9th in the nation in shooting on the offensive side, but still does not make a 10-player AA team, I don't know how one can characterize it other than a voting travesty.
Your opinion and mine differs and obviously the opinions of voters for this respective award differ, as well. No question she is a wonderful asset to the Huskies but does that translate into All-American. A number of voters don't agree but if she missed the team, you can be pretty darn sure it wasn't by an awful lot.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Typical UConn bias. We all do love the ladies but how many people on this board have really seen a great deal of the other top ten type ladies playing? I can assure you that I haven't and I know I'm not alone. Kia is a great player in UConn's system and unselfish and tenacious so it's understandable how much she is loved and admired. That doesn't necessarily translate into All-American.
We? Do you identify as a UConn fan?

Reaction Score

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you at this point but wanted to add that there are a ton of different stats that can be used to evaluate players. The other variable is how did the other players' perform? There are other talented players that certain stats can be used to justify them being on the AA team. They also may be the focus of their team which do not allow them to get some of the wide open shots Kia gets (many breakaway layups or wide open 3s.) Look at the 3s Lou took against SC vs the ones Kia and Crystal Dangerfield took. Someone was in Lou's grill and/or she had to run around for 15 secs just to get the shot, not the case for Kia and Crystal Dangerfield.

Durr had Kia face guarded and made her life miserable. When she did break free (and she did plenty of times) she had Gabby or Pheesa standing there contesting her shot. Most times she had to hit shots with people in her face and fadeaways, etc... These were not necessarily bad shots because they were the only ones she could get and her team needed her to take them, thus her shooting percentage is not going to be as high. Doesn't mean she is not a better offensive player. I think Kia is talented, hardworking and the ultimate competitor. She also got to play with a bunch of other AA which make things easier for her, something to think about as we rightly or wrongly believe she is a top ten player.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
So the True Shooting Percentage divides points scored by the sum of twice the field goals attempted plus .88 times the free throws attempted. Anybody know where the .88 comes from?

If every pair of FTs resulted from a single possession, the coefficient would have been 0.5 rather than 0.44. However, some FTs are from technical fouls, 3-pt. plays, etc. Regression analysis has shown that about 44% of FTs resulted from possessions, hence the 0.44 coefficient.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you at this point but wanted to add that there are a ton of different stats that can be used to evaluate players. The other variable is how did the other players' perform? There are other talented players that certain stats can be used to justify them being on the AA team. They also may be the focus of their team which do not allow them to get some of the wide open shots Kia gets (many breakaway layups or wide open 3s.) Look at the 3s Lou took against SC vs the ones Kia and Crystal Dangerfield took. Someone was in Lou's grill and/or she had to run around for 15 secs just to get the shot, not the case for Kia and Crystal Dangerfield.

Durr had Kia face guarded and made her life miserable. When she did break free (and she did plenty of times) she had Gabby or Pheesa standing there contesting her shot. Most times she had to hit shots with people in her face and fadeaways, etc... These were not necessarily bad shots because they were the only ones she could get and her team needed her to take them, thus her shooting percentage is not going to be as high. Doesn't mean she is not a better offensive player. I think Kia is talented, hardworking and the ultimate competitor. She also got to play with a bunch of other AA which make things easier for her, something to think about as we rightly or wrongly believe she is a top ten player.

Very well said and similar to what I was thinking. You can use the eye test as well. Watch Vivians play tonight. Really watch her while she's not playing UConn and you can be objective.

Watch the defensive pressure she faces, the range on her shot, the ability to create shots multiple different ways and even the defense she now plays. It's impressive and you can bet she is the #1 or 2 focus of every team MSU plays. She's an All American and there are similar players littering the Top 10. I just don't think Kia is quite that level.

Reaction Score
Agreed with most of what people are saying. Kia has a been a great player in a great system. Her life will never be as easy as it was this year both offensively & defensively. Every player on UConn (including Gabby) relies on team rotation defense. This is what makes them suffocating. You can’t shut down star players with 1 player, that’s not realistic. The truth is, she has been the 4th best player on the court (for UConn) all season. Pheesa had much more of an argument than Kia for AA but no one has mentioned her yet.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Probably the average for all free throws. You would use that factor because of the "free" component (i.e., no defense) of the foul shot

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I believe that the .88 is applied as a correction factor to account for "extra" free throws, such as technical foul freebies, the third free throw awarded for being fouled on threes, and "and ones".

Reaction Score

I think you have it backwards.

Reaction Score
If every pair of FTs resulted from a single possession, the coefficient would have been 0.5 rather than 0.44. However, some FTs are from technical fouls, 3-pt. plays, etc. Regression analysis has shown that about 44% of FTs resulted from possessions, hence the 0.44 coefficient.
If by "regression analysis", you mean "average" then yeah, sure.

Reaction Score
We? Do you identify as a UConn fan?
Most certainly. I'm heartbroken about last night! So sad seeing both Kia and Gabby leaving on that note! Favorite players in UConn history include Sue, Maya and now KLS though I also think Gabby is beyond amazing and I felt Kiah Stokes was always underestimated. There are numerous others but that's off the top of my head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom