KK - how can you not love this kid? | The Boneyard

KK - how can you not love this kid?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She has a bigger than life personality

5C24B952-B199-4113-ABF2-E5CAFB258058.jpeg

Reaction Score
It is going to be so fun to see her relationship with Geno develop. Been a long time (if ever??) since we have seen a freshman who can joke with Geno the way she did at the pre season big east media day. Their relationship could be epic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KK is the air apparent to Nika. Like Nika, she is a ferocious defender and dime dropper extraordinaire. But KK is better at getting to the rim and in time I believe she will become a very good outside shooter.

Next season KK will have a lot more responsibility on her shoulders to initiate the offense. It certainly won’t hurt to have Paige at her side. But I expect KK to take a very big sophomore leap.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
KK is the air apparent to Nika. Like Nika, she is a ferocious defender and dime dropper extraordinaire. But KK is better at getting to the rim and in time I believe she will become a very good outside shooter.

Next season KK will have a lot more responsibility on her shoulders to initiate the offense. It certainly won’t hurt to have Paige at her side. But I expect KK to take a very big sophomore leap.
Morgan Cheli plays point guard, too

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Gift article:

The only time KK Arnold is still is when she’s soaking in a freezing cold ice bath after games. :cool:
Her body slows down as her nerves at first fight the painful cold before relaxing into it. The UConn women’s basketball freshman puts on her headphones and turns on gospel music. Her mind and body now at peace.
Well, only for 10 minutes. Then she gets up out of the tub, dries off and goes right back into being the Huskies’ non-stop motor.
“If she was a race car driver, she would have smashed up about 10 cars already this year,” Huskies’ coach Geno Auriemma said.:D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, and she will have her turn running the Greatest Show on Earth in time. But as for next season, KK has both the experience and talent to run the point.
Yes, but she is going to have to start making smarter decisions during a game. If there were better guards on UConn's bench, Geno would probably sit her longer after some of her unforced turnovers and ill-advised passes and drives to the basket.

Reaction Score

Where do you see Azzi fitting in, then? Not at shooting guard?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but she is going to have to start making smarter decisions during a game. If there were better guards on UConn's bench, Geno would probably sit her longer after some of her unforced turnovers and ill-advised passes and drives to the basket.
How soon we forget. During her freshman season Nika shot 38% from the floor with an A/TO ratio of 1.4. She’s obviously improved substantially on those numbers as a senior. As for KK, she’s shooting 46% from the floor with a 1.5 A/TO ratio and almost twice as many assists as Nika had during her freshman year. I have no doubt that the game will “slow down” for KK next year, her decision making will improve dramatically and she will become an outstanding pg for the Huskies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Where do you see Azzi fitting in, then? Not at shooting guard?
If Azzi is healthy and can regain her form, she will start along with KK & Paige. Beyond that there is a question on whether or not Geno stays with a 4-guard lineup (Ashlynn) or goes back to a more traditional lineup with two forwards. The key players in that scenario are Ice, Jana & Aubrey. How healthy they are and how much they develop as players will determine Geno’s ultimate starting 5.

Reaction Score
If Azzi is healthy and can regain her form, she will start along with KK & Paige. Beyond that there is a question on whether or not Geno stays with a 4-guard lineup (Ashlynn) or goes back to a more traditional lineup with two forwards. The key players in that scenario are Ice, Jana & Aubrey. How healthy they are and how much they develop as players will determine Geno’s ultimate starting 5.
If everyone comes back healthy and ready to play from the start, Geno will not have to worry about fatigue or gals playing to exhaustion.

Reaction Score
I expect KK to start at pg in November. We’ll see what develops after that.

If Azzi is healthy, I think we’ll see a lineup like KK Paige Ash Azzi Jana. This will be like the 4-out set he’s run since late January.

After going most of a season playing 6, I suspect Geno will use more of his bench… and what a bench he’ll have. They may not be fully healthy right away but certainly by the end of January he should have Ayanna and Aubrey and maybe even Caroline available. And Ice will have a season under her belt. And if all goes well, Q will master Geno’s defensive schemes and become another Aubrey running the floor on transition, sneaking into the lane for rebounds and taking the unexpected off the dribble.

The really fun part is figuring where Morgan and Allie will fit in. Morgan is a high energy big (6’2”) guard who rebounds well. She was the tip of the spear of the full court press her hs team ran almost all the time. She can run the floor. And Allie is another deadeye perimeter shooter. We will be loaded with perimeter shooters next season.

We can go big or small, strong or quick, or both. But KK will be the one who runs the point.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How soon we forget. During her freshman season Nika shot 38% from the floor with an A/TO ratio of 1.4. She’s obviously improved substantially on those numbers as a senior. As for KK, she’s shooting 46% from the floor with a 1.5 A/TO ratio and almost twice as many assists as Nika had during her freshman year. I have no doubt that the game will “slow down” for KK next year, her decision making will improve dramatically and she will become an outstanding pg for the Huskies.
Exactly . People often have an image of players as they play at the end of their college career and forget the early growing pains. KK could not have been thrown into a more stressful first year and done pretty much all that could be asked. Nika still makes some pretty bad decisions.

Reaction Score
Exactly . People often have an image of players as they play at the end of their college career and forget the early growing pains. KK could not have been thrown into a more stressful first year and done pretty much all that could be asked. Nika still makes some pretty bad decisions.
Yes indeed. What I like about Nika’s bad passing decisions (not the fouls, those are just foolish) is their exuberance. She aims high and expects her teammates to convert. KK very much reminds me of freshman Nika — similar mistakes, similar enthusiasm, similar defensive intensity and slightly better offensive skills.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes indeed. What I like about Nika’s bad passing decisions (not the fouls, those are just foolish) is their exuberance. She aims high and expects her teammates to convert. KK very much reminds me of freshman Nika — similar mistakes, similar enthusiasm, similar defensive intensity and slightly better offensive skills.
Yes, although I think her offensive skills are more than slightly better. She seems to be able to get herself free for her own shot. Her main issue i think is driving too deep into traffic. If only her arms were as long as Paige’s.

Reaction Score
What a great get she is going to be. From what I've seen of her, she will be available 1-3/4 when needed.
I hope so. The potential is there. But as we all know, what they did in high school may or may not translate to college level or how the coaching views your work within the system.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Love how a thread about KK after the Duke game has swerved into criticism of her, next season's possible lineup and a discussion on an incoming freshman who will be competing for KK's starting PG slot.
Ah...the BYers, gotta enjoy them.

I'm ready for the onslaught...

Reaction Score
KK is going to be a special player at UConn. I love her attitude and that is what is going to be huge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom