KK Brings More Than Basketball | The Boneyard

KK Brings More Than Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KK is going to bring some much-needed speed to the UConn program........hoping she gets a chance to play a bit of meaningful basketball next year.........
With Nika, Paige, and Azzi likely starting I think she'll be an important reserve that should have a shot at a decent about of playing time. She'll be competing with Ines and fellow freshman Ashlyn as the first backcourt sub for Paige or Nike I would imagine.

Reaction Score
I think many posters here need a dose of reality about the three entering Freshman guards. There are currently six returning guards, including two Player of the Year candidates and another who just obliterated the UConn season assists record. There is is no playing time available , which is why I and several others think we will see four guards on the floor simultaneously quite often.

Reaction Score
I think many posters here need a dose of reality about the three entering Freshman guards. There are currently six returning guards, including two Player of the Year candidates and another who just obliterated the UConn season assists record. There is is no playing time available , which is why I and several others think we will see four guards on the floor simultaneously quite often.
6 returning guards??? I count four. Ines, Azzi, Paige, and Nika. Where are the other two?

sun

Reaction Score
KK must have an extremely high ratio of fast twitch muscle bundles/ fibers.
That ratio is said to contribute to what makes some elite athletes have very unique & exceptional qualities.
Players like that aren't often found sitting on the bench for very long because they get fast tracked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh she is going to be a problem next year. I think her presence is going to make all the other guards step their game up too, as she seems to be that confident type of player, similar to how Paige was coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
With Nika, Paige, and Azzi likely starting I think she'll be an important reserve that should have a shot at a decent about of playing time. She'll be competing with Ines and fellow freshman Ashlyn as the first backcourt sub for Paige or Nike I would imagine.
She might, but since the team figures to be very deep next year, there are other alternatives that don't involve either freshmen that are very good., so KK or Ashlyn will have to be very good to get much time. I think your starting lineup is the most likely, but when Nika is out I fully expect Paige to be at the point, and when Paige or Azzi hit the bench Caroline and Aubrey might be picked ahead of either freshmen.

That is consuming almost all the 1-3 position minutes with 5 very good players. Geno could use 6 for those positions, but if healthy he probably doesn't have to. Obviously injuries changes all of that, and another factor is Aubrey might be needed for backup minutes upfront which could open up more time for the guards. With this depth Geno could press a great deal and that might extend the rotation too, but while I hope to see that, I am not really expecting it. In that case both Aubrey and Caroline could play more at the 4 in a smaller quicker lineup.

Reaction Score
I'm now imagining an all-guard lineup, or three paired teams to alternate, like the old Celtics did with Cousy/Sharman and Sam and KC Jones. This could end up being the best backcourt ever assembled in the WBB. KK faked me out, and I was just watching!

Reaction Score
If the team is as good as advertised, they should see plenty of PT. Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, etc, shouldn’t have to play upwards of 30-35 minutes a game.

Stewie, Morgan and Moriah all averaged 30 minutes or less their last year. Hopefully we’ll see a repeat of that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Huskies Dance Company also gets a strong recruit.

I like her already and she isn't even here yet. As I'm sitting in the front row of Amari's cheering section (and have been all season), I also have reservations for a front-row seat in KK's cheering section. I have no doubt she will be an instant and constant contributor to this team from day 1. I think we're going to like what we see from her. She's a "Baller." ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm now imagining an all-guard lineup, or three paired teams to alternate, like the old Celtics did with Cousy/Sharman and Sam and KC Jones. This could end up being the best backcourt ever assembled in the WBB. KK faked me out, and I was just watching!
Get your popcorn ready. Next year's team will be a thrill-a-minute to watch. She can create her own shot. Any player that has handles and can shoot as well as she does is dangerous. One thing is for sure....she's already got her "driver's license."

She's going to scare the hell out of a lot of teams and coaches during her time at UConn. Must see TV if you can't make it in person. :cool: I would love to see at least one game in person next year. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She might, but since the team figures to be very deep next year, there are other alternatives that don't involve either freshmen that are very good., so KK or Ashlyn will have to be very good to get much time. I think your starting lineup is the most likely, but when Nika is out I fully expect Paige to be at the point, and when Paige or Azzi hit the bench Caroline and Aubrey might be picked ahead of either freshmen.

That is consuming almost all the 1-3 position minutes with 5 very good players. Geno could use 6 for those positions, but if healthy he probably doesn't have to. Obviously injuries changes all of that, and another factor is Aubrey might be needed for backup minutes upfront which could open up more time for the guards. With this depth Geno could press a great deal and that might extend the rotation too, but while I hope to see that, I am not really expecting it. In that case both Aubrey and Caroline could play more at the 4 in a smaller quicker lineup.
Of course we don't need them to have a good team next year. My point was that there is clear opportunity for them if they are ready to take it. Without them, I think we are pretty thin in the backcourt. Depending on how our existing frontcourt develops and if we fill the last open scholarship in the portal or not we could have to play Caroline and Aubrey in the PF positions a lot next year which wouldn't give them a ton of flexibility to help with backcourt depth. If Aubrey and Aaliah are our starting front court next year, CD could be the first sub to relieve Aubrey.

Right now with what we know we will have, we don't have a ball handler coming off the bench and having one or two in the rotation would be very valuable.

Reaction Score
I think your starting lineup is the most likely, but when Nika is out I fully expect Paige to be at the point, and when Paige or Azzi hit the bench Caroline and Aubrey might be picked ahead of either freshmen.
I don't think either Caroline or Aubrey is a good pg substitute. I can picture Caroline at the 2, 3, or 4, and Aubrey at the 3 or 4. But if we have to have either of them at the 1, we are going to be pressed. I suspect Geno (like every coach before him in Paige's life) has wanted to have her at the 2 position, and the presence of KK, Inês and Nika is going to make that a sort of default. I also suspect Paige and Azzi (and probably Caroline and Aubrey too) will not play more than 30 mins/g each next year. This is the same problem Dawn faced this year -- a long bench means a long rotation and the stars tend not to play more than 30 mins, and folks start sniping at the stars for having lower stats. The question for me is whether Aaliyah will play 35+ mins next year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't think either Caroline or Aubrey is a good pg substitute. I can picture Caroline at the 2, 3, or 4, and Aubrey at the 3 or 4. But if we have to have either of them at the 1, we are going to be pressed. I suspect Geno (like every coach before him in Paige's life) has wanted to have her at the 2 position, and the presence of KK, Inês and Nika is going to make that a sort of default. I also suspect Paige and Azzi (and probably Caroline and Aubrey too) will not play more than 30 mins/g each next year. This is the same problem Dawn faced this year -- a long bench means a long rotation and the stars tend not to play more than 30 mins, and folks start sniping at the stars for having lower stats. The question for me is whether Aaliyah will play 35+ mins next year.
Doggie, you're a closet seer. This is how I perceive Geno's dilemma next season as well, but one I'm sure he'll relish.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's hope she won't need to.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that in many games the starters, including Aaliyah will not have to play more than 30 minutes. Geno will be able to play the bench more frequently then this year not only because of who is on the bench, but because the starting five will build large enough leads that subbing won't change the outcome.

Reaction Score
The Huskies Dance Company also gets a strong recruit.

Does she always go left after the "shake and bake" move she does?? Seems like that's the way she goes most of the time. Hope she can mix it up or in D1 WBB it will be easy to scout and know how to stop her.

Reaction Score
No way Geno goes to a long rotation. I see no more than 8 players playing more than 15 minutes and 9 playing 10 minutes per game. My best guess, if everyone is healthy:

PG: Nika (20), Paige(10), KK (10)
SG: Paige (20), Azzi(15), Nika (15)
F: Azzi (20), Caroline (10), Aubrey (5), Paige (5)
F: Aubrey (20), Caroline (10), Aaliyah (5), Ice (5)
C: Aaliyah (25), Ice (10), Jana (5)

Obviously Patterson, Ashlyn, Ines, Samuels and Amari can all break into the rotation and swap their names for others but I see Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah (if all healthy) playing the majority of minutes next year (30-35) with Nika, Caroline, Aubrey and Ice all in the 15-30 minute rage depending on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom