Kivon Taylor to play Basketball too??? | The Boneyard

Kivon Taylor to play Basketball too???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
He just posted on instagram that he would be playing football and basketball? Anyone else hear about this?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He just posted on instagram that he would be playing football and basketball? Anyone else hear about this?

Curious if HCPP knows anything about this. I am still curious if he is strictly a quarterback or an athlete. We will see in August

Reaction Score
Curious if HCPP knows anything about this. I am still curious if he is strictly a quarterback or an athlete. We will see in August

I believe they want him as a Safety, but time will tell. There is so much position switching in football that you never really know until years down the road.

Reaction Score
he'd be the first 6'5" safety. teach him how to catch the ball.

Reaction Score
And neither is starting. There are lots and lots of reasons no one at any level plays a 6'5" safety.

Reaction Score
He's coming in as a QB.

At least two of our football guys (Jason Williams and Kash) have doubled on the track team. Brian Herosian did a football/baseball double back in the day not sure about any football/basketball guys.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I don't believe we've had any Football/Basketball guys since the early/mid-90's. It's such a tough thing to balance especially since we are FBS now in Football.

Reaction Score
Probably be too much to ask for another Charlie Ward, but having a good dual-sport guy might be a big help as far as getting the real hardcore UConn hoop fans to embrace football (and buy tickets, etc). For whatever reason it seems like there's a significant size-group out there who love UConn hoop but could care less about football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Brian Fair played BB from 91 - 95. He was then a receiver on the 95-96 FB team, IIRC. However that was Div 1AA and he didn't play that long. For some reason I remember the team photo from the Daily Campus. He was right in the middle wearing #25. He didn't play the entire season.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Probably be too much to ask for another Charlie Ward, but having a good dual-sport guy might be a big help as far as getting the real hardcore UConn hoop fans to embrace football (and buy tickets, etc). For whatever reason it seems like there's a significant size-group out there who love UConn hoop but could care less about football.

One of my best friends is one of them. He likes the tailgating and comradery, but not the game itself. I used to ask him why and he says because he never played organized ball as a kid and his high school didn't offer it.

I don't want to get into a family values argument here but if a kid grows up with a single mother and the father does not have a lot of interaction, then exposure to football is also typically limited.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Besides Fair, the only other dual player that I can recall was Pete Kane - big stocky guy. He didn't see much PT. He only played basketball in his senior year during the second half of the 95-96 season. He played football from 92-95, I believe.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Besides Fair, the only other dual player that I can recall was Pete Kane - big stocky guy. He didn't see much PT. He only played basketball in his senior year during the second half of the 95-96 season. He played football from 92-95, I believe.
Scotty Burrell played both basketball and baseball, but not football on the collegiate level.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If he did, he probably would have been our best QB.
Burrell was at UConn before I got there. I attended in the Shane Stafford era, who was quite good in my view. My family tailgated next to his parents in D-Lot before the Parents' Weekend game one year. He had a solid career in the Arena League.

Reaction Score
I think it was Steve Emt, not sure, but I remember at least one b-ball player being chased pretty hard to join the football team in the early 90s, and I think it was him - after coming to UCONN from West Point. I'm pretty sure it was him, but he stayed with basketball and I think played soccer. Great guy - still coaching basketball at RHAM.

Although dual sport athletes in division 1 are actually not uncommon - the football/basketball combination is pretty rare.

Reaction Score
Burrell was at UConn before I got there. I attended in the Shane Stafford era, who was quite good in my view. My family tailgated next to his parents in D-Lot before the Parents' Weekend game one year. He had a solid career in the Arena League.

Stafford was the original trick shot UCONN QB. Sorry Johnny Mac.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Shane lived on my floor in McMahon. I would play Madden with him on occasion (especially when broke his leg). Not the brightest bulb. Then he and some his team mates stole some stuff (CDs) from a friends dorm room. I don't recall if they had to sit out for that.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Scotty Burrell played both basketball and baseball, but not football on the collegiate level.
Right. I meant to say football/basketball dual player.

Reaction Score
If you're going to go the "what if" game, I'd have to agree that Hamden CT's own, Burrell was probably the best chance of a QB and basketball player combo. Burrell was, and still remains, one of the most incredible athletes I've ever seen play. He was hampered by leg injuries in the NBA if I'm not mistaken, but I really enjoyed the seasons I watched him play on the court with Jordan in Chicago.

In college, I remember watching that guy do things on the basketball court that the only comparison I can come up with is Derrick Rose - pre-leg injury. Burrell did things on the basketball court like Rose did, and hopefully will be able to again after he recovers from the knee. Movements on the basketball court that defied logic - literally. He could take two-three steps and get around people, and be in spots on the floor that didn't make sense. I'm talking top of the key 3 point line to contesting and blocking a shot on the baseline in three motions. We'll see if Rose can do it coming back. I remember Burrell in a single motion in one play, against I think Seton Hall, or Villanov, defending against a guard bringing the ball down court - don't remember the opponent, but single motion hurdling the player while defending - over his head hurdling him, and twisting in air, so that he could steal the ball as he came down on the other side of the player, and then continuing down the floor for a layup. Most amazing thing I've ever seen on a basketball court.

Can't coach those kinds of things, athleticism, height, etc.....if Mr. Taylor's got it, I look forward to seeing his do great things at UCONN.

Reaction Score

Did Burrell ever play baseball at UCONN? Did he get that Freshamn season in before the Blue Jays drafted him?

Reaction Score

If I were Manuel I would encourage the dual sport possibility. Not to go all HFD ... but the marketing alone would be worth it.

Reaction Score
Did Burrell ever play baseball at UCONN? Did he get that Freshamn season in before the Blue Jays drafted him?

I'm not sure, but I'm 99% that it's a no. He was going to play, but it would have screwed up his student/athlete/professional situation I think. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't a scholarship b-ball palyer either for Calhoun - the Blue Jays paid is college tuition.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but I'm 99% that it's a no. He was going to play, but it would have screwed up his student/athlete/professional situation I think. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't a scholarship b-ball palyer either for Calhoun - the Blue Jays paid is college tuition.
I believe he wa drafted by the blue jays. I saw him with a blue jays t shirt on and I think MLB was one if his options. But be he never plate as a husky.

Saw him play vs nd wh on thanksgiving and his arm was big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman