Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements?

Reaction Score
About 30 years ago I hit for the cycle in a post-high school hardball league....completely drunk.

I was a first year player and never played. I drank all the way (as a passenger) from our home park in Winsted to the away game in Lakeville and then for a couple hours up to the start of the game. Our 3rd baseman got hurt in the first inning and out of nowhere, the coach put me in. I started for the rest of the season with the right amount of pregaming, hit nearly .500 for the season and made the league's allstar team.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I once scored 2 baskets over, and blocked one shot attempt by someone who claimed to be one of Dr. J's team mates from UMass, in a pickup game. Would have been right around 1980. He was a good 3 inches taller than me, and 5 years or so younger. (I was in my mid to late 30s at the time.) I have no recollection of his name, but I believe he played center.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wasn't good at any of it, but did a sport all 12 seasons in HS. Hey, half the battle is showing up, right?

Won a cross country medal at a meet at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx on a day where there was a monsoon so half the programs didn't show up. They had to hand the medals out to someone.

Got a JV base knock batting lefty (never had switch hit before) against a team we were crushing so the coach had us switch. Team went nuts haha.

Tennis needed someone to play varsity 2nd doubles, so I filled in in a pinch and ended up my career a pristine 1 and 0.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Came in 2nd at the world karate championship in Atlanta in 1995 at the Georgia Dome (in my belt class). Scot-e karate.
Weight, your handle doesn't rhyme with boat?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
A grown man should not brag about high school or college athletic prowess. No one cares. If you feel the need to talk about yourself talk about the process that made you successful in your life and the obstacles you have had to overcome.
It’s the off season dude. Can we at least “Al Bundy ” in peace. My goodness. SMH. Let the people Bundy.

Reaction Score
Playing 18 next Tuesday and after all these ace stories from the admittedly unskilled/novice...I fully expect to report back with my first. Hey, it could happen....

Reaction Score
Playing 18 next Tuesday and after all these ace stories from the admittedly unskilled/novice...I fully expect to report back with my first. Hey, it could happen....

Get her done good luck Ace!

Reaction Score
I’m not going to look back except how my past possibly could have an unsuspected meeting with my future
I was a Big Kid 215 in HS , OT on a top HS football team , First Base and Co-Captain of the baseball team . A great half court BBer especially for money .
I was a good HS hitter with a long hitting streak my senior year .
Nice but the only thing legendary about me was my speed on the bases or lack of it . I was a right handed pull hitter and we played on a football field . Home plate was the corner of one end zone and left field was the entire football field 360 ft , plus a small grass area , a track , more grass and a tall Paige fence that surrounded the whole complex . Well over 400 ft to the fence . I hit a shot that went about 350 ft in the air: and rolled to the fence ( there was a tail wind that day) The fact I had to slide into third . The throw actually beat me but the fielder dropped the ball and it was scored a double and an error . My 400 ft double was never forgotten by my coach and teammates and my lack of speed became part of my legacy.
In my defense i did stay a bit to long at the plate admiring it forgetting for a second everything hit to left was in play.
Fast Forward to 2023
I watched the Penn Relays senior sprinters
The guy my age ( over 80 ) who won the 100 ran it in 26 seconds . Just for kicks I’ve been timing myself . My bests times are not that far off. I’m about 180lbs if I could get to about 170 and train I think ,I may officially become a world class sprinter.for my age , How’s that for irony? The tortoise becomes the hare.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I watched the Penn Relays senior sprinters
The guy my age ( over 80 ) who won the 100 ran it in 26 seconds . Just for kicks I’ve been timing myself . My bests times are not that far off. I’m about 180lbs if I could get to about 170 and train I think ,I may officially become a world class sprinter.for my age , How’s that for irony? The tortoise becomes the hare.
I heard he was juicing.

Reaction Score
Batted .759 last year LL….. Batted .750 in 4 all star games with 2 2HR games and one in each of the others. Shut out a Wallingford team 1-0 on a 2 hit/11 K stint and hit the HR with 2 outs in the 6th.
Had 11 straight hits my senior year…. a hit last AB versus Plainville then 4-4 versus Southington next game and 6-6 versus rival Platt last game of the year. We got beat by Waterford and Brian Winters (big lefty cup of coffee with the Cubs) 3-2 in the state semis. We did beat New Britain 13-8 to stop their 46 game win streak during the regular season as well.

Won the Greater Hartford Twilight League title our first year in it (Katz Sport Shop Meriden) and the cool thing was it was the strike year on MLB in’81. Baseball fans needed their fix so instead of playing in front of 50-100 family and friends the whole town of Meriden were coming to the games. 1-2K people fun summer.

Beat New Haven to win the state Jr Pro title at 12 yrs old had 28 in that one. Got beat by Roxbury in the Northeast finals by 1 or we would have gone to Rupp Arena to the nationals.

17 and 21 versus a good Mattatuck team in community college with former Husky Al Frederick. I think he had 35 and 38 if memory serves me correctly.
No golf achievements???? I know you and your bro were baseball royalty. What's your best golf achievements?

Reaction Score
A 415 bench press at 190 bodyweight 22 years old is insane and absolutely elite drug free.

I don't bench more than 275 or so anymore, have a wonky shoulder for years now but when in a serious groove can always crank out 225 close grip for 20+ in my 40's. It gets looks at a commercial gym and gets me talking with younger and older lifters, I would like to maintain that for many years going forward. Prouder of what I've done over the years in the gym over any of the mediocre sports accomplishments I had growing up. I've enjoyed it more and it's been way more important in my life. I'm glad I found the gym.
CHECK OUT HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT!

Reaction Score
In 60 years, if you’re lucky!

Reaction Score
No golf achievements???? I know you and your bro were baseball royalty. What's your best golf achievements?

Golf a hobby after I couldn’t play in twilight and city leagues in baseball or basketball. Some good stuff but a couple of my best rounds also involve a huge disappointment for my golf career. Played in a Pro-Am with a WesMass golf pro at Wintonbury and had 5 birds and was 3 under (it’s a par 70) going into 17-18. Went double, single bogey shot 70 what a gag job. Then playing with 16 Gus at Richmond CC in RI I had 7 birdies in a round. And still only shot 70. The point of this is I have never shot in the 60d and it really pisses me off. A guy who did get to a 4.2 hcp should see a 68-69 but I always choked when I was close I admit that. LOL had and still have lots of fun with the game though had 6 birds this spring at Blue Fox and shot 72 but I need those 6000-6300 yard courses now I’m too old.

I was also lucky enough to meet a great group of people in the BYC which ultimately became Team Fishy. Lots of fun in those but they weren’t going to let us sniff a win were they? Lol

Reaction Score
CHECK OUT HOW MUCH I CAN LIFT!
MANDELBAUM, MANDELBAUM, MANDELBAUM!
Jerry Seinfeld Comedy GIF

Reaction Score
Started playing golf too late in life to become any good at it..But enjoy the game.. Playing today with a 78 yr old friend who hits from the whites (or blues depending on competition)..Has a GHIN of 5 from the whites.. And regularly shoots a gross below his age.. Can always learn from him..

Enjoyed playing walleyball-- back in the day-- with a US Olympic Volleyball player(as my partner) in walleyball tournaments. Fast game/lots of fun/ Won a few tournaments.. 2-man teams on a racquetball court .. Ball is dead once it hits the ground..Walls are in play..

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
clean steal and lay up on oj mayo in an open gym.

basically i was good enough to be a big east (mid major) level player

Reaction Score
High School baseball....Hit a double off Chris Drury. Also didn't strike out when facing Carl Pavano (which I count as win)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom