Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements?

Reaction Score
Dude 305 lb bench press is great, that puts you in the 1% of the male population and and top 5% of male lifters. Of course if you go to a serious powerlifting gym where everyone is on drugs they're all doing that but it's a serious amount of weight and not easy to do as someone who just lifts as a hobby and goes to normal gyms. You rarely see it at the big box gyms. 200 lb strict military press is really impressive.
Appreciate the kind words!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Drove the green on a legit par 4. Three putted for the save.
Did that a handful of times at Oak Hill in Norwalk. The 18th is 330-ish. Woods run all the way down the right side. There's a little bend to the right about 250 out. And there's a small hill there on the right that if you can hit the backside of that hill, you're on the green, apron or maybe 10 ft short. High risk, high reward.

I just took a look at the Oak Hill site. Holy cripes... $90 a round for residents, $155 for non-residents. It was a fun little local track when I played there in the 80s/90s, but I was paying less than $40.

Reaction Score
I coached a hockey team in the Hockey News Lake Placid CanAm tournament to the silver medal. We lost the gold medal game 1 to nothing.

Reaction Score
1982: Clean base hit off Southington HIgh's Rob Dibble. I also marked him through two soccer matches that year--him right winger, me left back. He was big and physical and so was I and we really went at it. Ref kept telling us to tone it down. Dibble was a great all-around athlete, much respect for hm.

1991: Bernardsville, NJ corporate slo-pitch league, two grand slam HRs in one inning.

2003: Hole-in-one McCulloughs's Emerald Golf Links, Egg Harbor, NJ, 2nd hole. My only one.

2011: Played 5-5-10 Pot Limit Omaha with Phil Kessel at Seminole Hard Rock, Hollywood FL. Got him for a massive pot at the end of a long night. He was crazy aggressive, raising all the time every hand. I just waited him out. I think he was on the Maple Leafs then.

So I'm due for another glory day but I'm near 60 now, bad knees, overweight, plantar fascitis. I doubt those moments will ever be topped.

Reaction Score
1982: Clean base hit off Southington HIgh's Rob Dibble. I also marked him through two soccer matches that year--him right winger, me left back. He was big and physical and so was I and we really went at it. Ref kept telling us to tone it down. Dibble was a great all-around athlete, much respect for hm.

1991: Bernardsville, NJ corporate slo-pitch league, two grand slam HRs in one inning.

2003: Hole-in-one McCulloughs's Emerald Golf Links, Egg Harbor, NJ, 2nd hole. My only one.

2011: Played 5-5-10 Pot Limit Omaha with Phil Kessel at Seminole Hard Rock, Hollywood FL. Got him for a massive pot at the end of a long night. He was crazy aggressive, raising all the time every hand. I just waited him out. I think he was on the Maple Leafs then.

So I'm due for another glory day but I'm near 60 now, bad knees, overweight, plantar fascitis. I doubt those moments will ever be topped.

A good run, but don't let the knees deter, it ain't over. I dropped about 30 lbs, and got new knees just before 60 and ran a 5K the year after that 5 minutes faster than I did the year before it...

Reaction Score
2001: I was 12 and my ice hockey team won the U12 New England regionals and went to Minnesota to play in the nationals. I scored a hat trick in the final regionals game.

2003: I played Varsity field hockey in high school (Kent, prep school). I was keeper. When I was a sophomore, in the last game of the season against our rivals, I stopped 3 penalty strokes in the game. We won 3-0. I was named Athlete of the Week.

Reaction Score
I was disqualified from a high school wrestling meet for an illegal slam (3 actually) on a kid who was kind of a fish and and given it was an away meet, I was booed off the mat. As I returned to my seat, what I believe was the kids grandfather came down to confront me. While the last two infractions were not intentional, I felt a definite WWE bad guy vibe at that moment.

Reaction Score
Freshman football team went undefeated and unscored upon, 10-0. I was the star running back.

Won the basketball tourney in high school and was title game MVP (33 points).

A grown man should not brag about high school or college athletic prowess. No one cares. If you feel the need to talk about yourself talk about the process that made you successful in your life and the obstacles you have had to overcome.

Reaction Score
A grown man should not brag about high school or college athletic prowess.
That's the point of the whole thread, reminiscing about back in the day, everyone does it from time to time, men or not. It's idle chit chat, harmless, chill out. As evidence by how long the thread is, I think a lot of people are interested in hearing others stories (and care).

Reaction Score
A grown man should not brag about high school or college athletic prowess. No one cares. If you feel the need to talk about yourself talk about the process that made you successful in your life and the obstacles you have had to overcome.

Read the title it’s about past personal sports achievements. If you’d like to add a “Life success and Obstacles you overcame” thread then feel free. Otherwise enjoy what people are writing or don’t read anything here at all. I care all of these are a fun read to me for sure, get over yourself.

Reaction Score
Lol no one here is "bragging."

We are reminiscing about those few moments that we are secretly proud of, but that we know are of little interest to anyone else. My wife is already sick of my Phil Kessel story and never wants to hear it again.

Thanks to the original poster for asking the question. I enjoyed reading all the replies; please keep them coming.

:)

Reaction Score
Golden Girls Comedy GIF

Reaction Score

That's... the point of the thread. You're making me want to list my individual accomplishments out of spite.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

Well I am glad I went with an athletic accomplishment from when I was 12. I guess I am in the clear since it predates the high school and college era. Truthfully my athletic career was average at best after the age of 16.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
20230730_163422.jpg

1985 400 yard freestyle relay, made me 2nd team All Big East (and touched out Suckacuse for 2nd place in the relay and 3rd place in the meet)

also was a member of two UConn record setting 800 yard freestyle teams (long since broken)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom